ToTBellHop

Everybody keeps forgetting about the totally topless Daryl Hannah statue in DHS.

6115199308_fae1d5ef1c_b.jpg
I never forget.

mousehockey37

Anyone else notice that the only real commotion anyone made was when Cameron came out? They seem to babble on and on trying to sell Pandora HARD...

No one really seemed to care (from the Periscope that I was watching). This may not be the place for it, but with the the similarity to the Moors from Maleficent, I'd rather see this go that way, at least it's Disney related then.

ctrlaltdel

Anyone else notice that the only real commotion anyone made was when Cameron came out? They seem to babble on and on trying to sell Pandora HARD...

No one really seemed to care (from the Periscope that I was watching). This may not be the place for it, but with the the similarity to the Moors from Maleficent, I'd rather see this go that way, at least it's Disney related then.
I think once people actually see what they've done with the park maybe they'll be more excited. Seems like a great concept, but most people are just thinking about the movie, which isn't that great. But the great part about Pandora is that it doesn't rely on the movie. It sounds awesome to me, especially the actual setting on Pandora sounds like it will be beautifully done. The crowd was mostly DLR based as well, so that could be an effect.

mousehockey37

I think once people actually see what they've done with the park maybe they'll be more excited. Seems like a great concept, but most people are just thinking about the movie, which isn't that great. But the great part about Pandora is that it doesn't rely on the movie. It sounds awesome to me, especially the actual setting on Pandora sounds like it will be beautifully done. The crowd was mostly DLR based as well, so that could be an effect.

I'm not holding my breath on it. Like I said, it seemed like Cameron couldn't paint the right picture/use the right wording to explain what he wanted to. I was definitely intrigued by the comments of "walking". Is there going to be nothing to really do here except walk around and leave? Besides 2 rides? Again, Cameron, IMO, wasn't succeeding at winning people over on this project, DLR base or not.

ctrlaltdel

I'm not holding my breath on it. Like I said, it seemed like Cameron couldn't paint the right picture/use the right wording to explain what he wanted to. I was definitely intrigued by the comments of "walking". Is there going to be nothing to really do here except walk around and leave? Besides 2 rides? Again, Cameron, IMO, wasn't succeeding at winning people over on this project, DLR base or not.
Fair. The 2 rides seem quite good. E-ticket thrill ride plus a boat ride that sounds really cool. Walking around Pandora at night is going to become a must-see if they pull it off.

andysol

How much time could you spend in diagon alley? And it only has half the rides.

I think Disney understands, like universal proved, that you can have several hours in an area with limited rides.

Diagon alley shopping is an attraction unto itself. If the walking paths at pandora can match that appeal- it's an unmitigated success for us, the park goer. Now for Disney- not as much- I doubt there will be near the purchasing power in pandora vs DA. But that's their problem, not ours. :)

bakntime

Is there going to be nothing to really do here except walk around and leave? Besides 2 rides?
What on earth were you expecting, an entire new theme park? What other expansions in other theme parks around the world have more than 15 or so acres with 2 new attractions? To "go there" again, the first Wizarding World had 1 new attraction. The second one added one more attraction, and a train to link them. So two highly touted expansions in two separate theme parks resulted in 2 new attractions and a connecting train, and two smallish streets to explore, along with various shops and whatnot. Cars Land came with 1 e-ticket and two small flat rides. These expansions (Wizarding World 1+2 and Cars Land) are among the best "new land" expansions in recent theme park history, and yet Avatar Land might be larger in scale than any of them, with two rides, walking tour type elements, bio-luminescent evenings, and most likely at least 1 new restaurant. And it's not enough?

Atomicmickey

This is a repost of what I said in the Star Wars thread, but it applies to your question, I think:

One approach that Disney is taking, and it worked for Cars Land, is to make the area itself an explorable, interactive attraction. So much to look at, see, and do, that you can spend hours there--NOT standing in a line, and enjoying the experience. The land itself is an extra E-ticket. This is obviously what they're doing with Avatar, and with Star Wars. Magic Bands, whatever our opinion of them, will add an extra level of personal interactivity. I think this all started with the Kim Possible thing at Epcot. With my family--we spent hours, essentially just wandering around Epcot, having fun, and it required a minimum of infrastructure changes. Not an E-ticket in the traditional sense--but think about that, we were experiencing an attraction--continuously--for hours, without ever standing in a line. I think this is deliberate strategy on their part, and we'll need to realign our thinking so we're not going 'oh, only 2 rides?'

Of course, this is coming from a guy who does the animal trails, or the paths around the Tree of Life in AK and thinks they are great attractions, so your mileage may vary.

Fox&Hound

One of the problems that WDW currently suffers from is that the MK becomes a bloated bag of humanity at night for the parade, castle projection and fireworks shows. Couple that with the fact the park has the most to do and we all get the picture. With the nighttime show and safaris, along with what Pandora will offer, I think that this has a chance to help a little bit. Let's face it, what other park will have an environment that comes to life and glows above you, around you, and beneath you. This is a truly original concept that you can't find anywhere else in Orlando. I know which park I will want to be in as the sun sets in 2017, and it won't be the MK.

THIS exactly! For anyone who still questions why Avatar is coming to AK, they won't when they see it at night and when they realize MK is less crowded at night =)

mousehockey37

This is a repost of what I said in the Star Wars thread, but it applies to your question, I think:

One approach that Disney is taking, and it worked for Cars Land, is to make the area itself an explorable, interactive attraction. So much to look at, see, and do, that you can spend hours there--NOT standing in a line, and enjoying the experience. The land itself is an extra E-ticket. This is obviously what they're doing with Avatar, and with Star Wars. Magic Bands, whatever our opinion of them, will add an extra level of personal interactivity. I think this all started with the Kim Possible thing at Epcot. With my family--we spent hours, essentially just wandering around Epcot, having fun, and it required a minimum of infrastructure changes. Not an E-ticket in the traditional sense--but think about that, we were experiencing an attraction--continuously--for hours, without ever standing in a line. I think this is deliberate strategy on their part, and we'll need to realign our thinking so we're not going 'oh, only 2 rides?'

Of course, this is coming from a guy who does the animal trails, or the paths around the Tree of Life in AK and thinks they are great attractions, so your mileage may vary.

I can appreciate your opinion. I'm one that likes to wander the World Showcase and I'll go back a few days of my trip to roam it in the evening. Maybe they'll wind up doing something like with the WS. They'll have something similar but not limited to the 3 Caballeros ride or the Maelstrom or something of that effect... not an overly huge ride, but something you could do (aside from the other 2 things).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom