Incomudro

This is the one thing that I could see that would stretch out the construction. Every part of this land has to look alien, meaning that they can't just plant a bunch of trees and be done with the landscaping. A lot of this is going to have to be artificial and designed to look alien. If there are going to do a lot of the bio-luminescent effects then that would make the process even more complex.
Yes, it can't just be planted or it'll simply look like a really nice tropical place.
I'm guessing that mixed in with the real flora will be artifctials - probably animatronic artifictials as well.
I'm expecting some animatronic creatures lurking in there as well.
As far as I'm concerned, if one is not excited by this - I wonder what that person sees in WDW at all.
This is pure Disney.
The scale, the detail, the wonder, the experience.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yes, it can't just be planted or it'll simply look like a really nice tropical place.
I'm guessing that mixed in with the real flora will be artifctials - probably animatronic artifictials as well.
I'm expecting some animatronic creatures lurking in there as well.
As far as I'm concerned, if one is not excited by this - I wonder what that person sees in WDW at all.
This is pure Disney.
The scale, the detail, the wonder, the experience.

I think the IP is biasing some people. They didn't like the movie so they won't give the land a chance.

Incomudro

I think the IP is biasing some people. They didn't like the movie so they won't give the land a chance.
I don't get it.
I don't care for the movie either, but this land is fantastic.
It's also a perfect fit for the fantasy animal theme that AK was originally going to feature.
Almost taylor made.
The nit picking by some based on grainy images of models and very limited information is silly.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't get it.
I don't care for the movie either, but this land is fantastic.
It's also a perfect fit for the fantasy animal theme that AK was originally going to feature.
Almost taylor made.
The nit picking by some based on grainy images of models and very limited information is silly.

I agree completely, but some people can't separate the IP from the land in their mind. I had a hard time understanding this until I though to my self, "what if Disney build Twilight Land?" ;)

Incomudro

I'm not a huge fan of the movie. And I hate them putting this in DAK. But the project itself is a spectacular representation of top shelf themed entertainment.
The thing about Avatar, that differs from a lot of movies - is that Avatar's look lends itself into creating an entire land, much as Cars does.
There have been many movies that would make great rides, but that'd be about it.
A ride, which would likely become dated as interest in the movie trailed off.
But, Pandora here - you don't have to like the movie or have even seen the movie to enjoy and be awed as you walk through it, take a boat ride in it, or ride the simulator.

ToTBellHop

But Avatar was very well received when it first came out. It holds an 83% Critic score on RT and 82% Audience rating.

Seems people have selective memories and like to pick and choose based on what they like and don't like.
If we are being honest, not all of the Harry Potter films (which are largely the basis for the lands, not the books) are spectacular (I still cringe at Daniel Radcliffe's horrible "He was their friend!" In Prisoner of Azkaban; thank goodness his acting talent has since emerged), but the films are visually stunning, and so are the lands. I think this will be the same. From what we've heard, they aren't really based on the first film anyway; just set in its world.

Next Big Thing

If we are being honest, not all of the Harry Potter films (which are largely the basis for the lands, not the books) are spectacular (I still cringe at Daniel Radcliffe's horrible "He was their friend!" In Prisoner of Azkaban; thank goodness his acting talent has since emerged), but the films are visually stunning, and so are the lands. I think this will be the same. From what we've heard, they aren't really based on the first film anyway; just set in its world.
Exactly. When it comes to theme parks, it's about visuals and experiences.

Incomudro

I have virtually no interest in Harry Potter, have never read a HP book, nor watched a HP movie - though I would bet I would like them if I gave them a read or viewing.
I'm am very sure however, that I would be very impressed with HP at Universal.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I have a feeling they keep saying you will be able to ride Banshee in 2017 not because there is no boat ride but because we will see a phased opening. With the boat ride opening later. I hate phased openings for lands like this.

Atomicmickey

Oh, and has anyone asked if they are really going to try to pull off the giant planet, and if so, how?
Mind boggles at that . . . some sort of giant mist projection? It would have to be a huge structure
and almost transparent to withstand storms and such. Not to mention being visible from all over
the place.

If they could pull it off, that would be pretty audacious, and the sort of thing that Disney USED
to be known for . . from "how did they do that" to just plain "I can't believe they actually did that."

lazyboy97o

The IP is what was chosen and what is important to Disney. The land being well done and successful will only reinforce all the very bad reasons the project was started, but the outcome of that reinforcement will not always be in the hands of someone like Joe.

WDWLover#1

Oh, and has anyone asked if they are really going to try to pull off the giant planet, and if so, how?
Mind boggles at that . . . some sort of giant mist projection? It would have to be a huge structure
and almost transparent to withstand storms and such. Not to mention being visible from all over
the place.

If they could pull it off, that would be pretty audacious, and the sort of thing that Disney USED
to be known for . . from "how did they do that" to just plain "I can't believe they actually did that."
Let's be quite clear and put this rumour to bed. The moon was there for the model. That's it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom