MerlinTheGoat

I don't mean to be antagonistic, but judging the land's details by a scale model is kind of silly. Models traditionally never contain anywhere even close to the level of lush detail as the final full sized product. Even New Fantasyland is a good example of this. Compare the Little Mermaid facade in miniature scale model form (incidentally with similar less than ideal lighting conditions as the Avatar D23 model by the way)-

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2011/07/model5.jpg

To the final product-
prince-erics-palace.jpg

Now understand that i'm NOT defending the ride housed inside (it's very meh at best and even the land itself is highly flawed in other ways), but I think most of us would probably agree that the exterior's detail and quality are INFINITELY more impressive in the final product than the model. The same is true of Mine Train and Beast's castle, you can find models of those online as well and they too aren't anywhere close to the final products. I have a somewhat less than enthusiastic opinion on how New Fantasyland turned out attraction and layout wise, but it's still worth bringing up here when you're comparing how a model looks detail wise to how the final full scale version will turn out.

It's just not a reasonable expectation to have all the details of a huge land crammed into a miniature that can fit on a couple of card tables. Nor do I believe it's the artists that created this model were trying to replicate it precisely as it would end up appearing. There's always an immensely greater amount of detail in the final built land/attraction than a small scale model.

Concept art is where attractions/lands generally fail to live up to the proposed detail. While I don't expect Avatar to completely live up to the pieces of concept art floating around, I do expect it to be much closer in detail to the art than the models. Even huge WDW critics have said it'll be a stunner (WDW1974 and Universal guy HTF aka hatetofly). Lesser projects (with lesser talent) have still ended up having a lot of exterior visual appeal in the end (New Fantasyland).

With Joe Rohde and James Cameron involved, the theming and visuals are in good hands. I'm much more concerned with the quality and quantity of the rides. Particularly the boat ride which apparently still isn't even 100% happening...

Last edited:

TyTrap

So "ACE employees" are just going to be ride attendants, retail workers and restaurant workers. I know they'll have pandoran creatures walking around but will we see any navi outside of the attractions?

HauntedMansionFLA

Is there a nasty rumor going around that Pandora might not open till 2018? The model looks impressive - a lot bigger than what I thought it would turn out. I guess we find out more tomorrow"

Cesar R M

Close to Soarin'.
I still wonder.. the ride system will be only themed to the banshees? or it will have human copter transports too?

I don't mean to be antagonistic, but judging the land's details by a scale model is kind of silly. Models traditionally never contain anywhere even close to the level of lush detail as the final full sized product. Even New Fantasyland is a good example of this. Compare the Little Mermaid facade in miniature scale model form (incidentally with similar less than ideal lighting conditions as the Avatar D23 model by the way)-

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2011/07/model5.jpg

To the final product-
prince-erics-palace.jpg

Now understand that i'm NOT defending the ride housed inside (it's very meh at best and even the land itself is highly flawed in other ways), but I think most of us would probably agree that the exterior's detail and quality are INFINITELY more impressive in the final product than the model. The same is true of Mine Train and Beast's castle, you can find models of those online as well and they too aren't anywhere close to the final products. I have a somewhat less than enthusiastic opinion on how New Fantasyland turned out attraction and layout wise, but it's still worth bringing up here when you're comparing how a model looks detail wise to how the final full scale version will turn out.

It's just not a reasonable expectation to have all the details of a huge land crammed into a miniature that can fit on a couple of card tables. Nor do I believe it's the artists that created this model were trying to replicate it precisely as it would end up appearing. There's always an immensely greater amount of detail in the final built land/attraction than a small scale model.

Concept art is where attractions/lands generally fail to live up to the proposed detail. While I don't expect Avatar to completely live up to the pieces of concept art floating around, I do expect it to be much closer in detail to the art than the models. Even huge WDW critics have said it'll be a stunner (WDW1974 and Universal guy HTF aka hatetofly). Lesser projects (with lesser talent) have still ended up having a lot of exterior visual appeal in the end (New Fantasyland).

With Joe Rohde and James Cameron involved, the theming and visuals are in good hands. I'm much more concerned with the quality and quantity of the rides. Particularly the boat ride which apparently still isn't even 100% happening...
only thing I really hated ot FLE.is the lack of real transition between areas..
you just see a giant awful paved road between rides. They missed a great opportunity to make it more foresty like (between the BOG and MINE train for example)
So "ACE employees" are just going to be ride attendants, retail workers and restaurant workers. I know they'll have pandoran creatures walking around but will we see any navi outside of the attractions?
If they do, they are going to have very tall puppets with guys in stilts.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

No, these will be genetically engineered and actually roaming around the land for people to interact with them. In some cases they will be released for a running with the bulls type atmosphere.
next... AVATAR VI " Dancing With Banshees" with Kevin Costner as a Na'vi.

Cesar R M

Good quality video of the model

nice video, thanks for sharing! this shows a lot of detail of the floating mountains now!

I bet in person the model looks much better. The light on it seems weird in the photos. The photographers need to white balance.
it seems the model is being lit both by black light and some spotlights AT SAME TIME.
No surprise its sort of a nightmare to light up correctly in a camera.

bakntime

Disney totally copied this brochure from Universal's Jurassic World promotional pamphlet.
Yeah, okay. And when Universal built the JP or Jaws rides, they didn't copy the whole Jungle Cruise/Star Tours/Indiana Jones Adventure "tour group to (destination here) and things go awry" concept.

But I guess you're right about Disney copying the pamplet concept, that is, of course, if you've lived under a rock for your entire life and you consider "tour pamphlets with maps" a novel concept that hasn't been around for flippin decades.

Next Big Thing

So with 3 sequels in the works, is there any expansion room on the land if the movies see's major success over the course of the three films and it proves itself as a major sci-fi franchise and not just a one-off hit?

Siren

He might show up at the Parks and Resorts panel tomorrow.
We'll see. It's so hard for me to believe that Cameron would find this model presentable for public display.
but, but....but...it will glow in the dark:)
LOL, I *love* the glow in the dark concept, but I can't see any signs of that in this model.
This is Florida. It is literally a subtropical jungle. It'll be lush and green.
Point well taken.

Yes, it's just a model -- but, now I have learned that the boat ride is missing. There is no boat and no James Cameron.

I bet in person the model looks much better. The light on it seems weird in the photos. The photographers need to white balance.
I agree, something is definitely off.

I am hearing a lot of rumors regarding the boat ride. OMG, this land was announced almost 4 years ago, and there is no excuse for any kind of delay. None.

I really want to see James Cameron and his 'King of the World' Hollywood persona to add some much needed hype and excitement for Avatarland. If Cameron doesn't make an appearance or at least release a statement of some kind, then I will believe that something is wrong.

Next Big Thing

I don't like the model, it looks dull and nothing like the concept art. Pandora is supposed to be lush and green and vibrant. But, the model looks parched and dried out -- every time I look at it, I just want to throw a bucket of water on it.
s58j91.jpg

21e8bw6.jpg

9fmxz4.jpg

Disney totally copied this brochure from Universal's Jurassic World promotional pamphlet. What concerns me more than anything else is James Cameron's absence. The *only* reason I was excited for Pandora is because of James Cameron. I can't help but wonder if Cameron is embarrassed by this. Meanwhile, Iger and Lucas are locked hand in hand.
You don't know Cameron won't make an appearance at the Parks panel tomorrow.

Siren

You don't know Cameron won't make an appearance at the Parks panel tomorrow.
Fair enough. It will be so awesome if Cameron were to make an appearance. It is important for me to see his involvement with this project. And, Cameron likes to engage the media and press with all of his ongoing commitments, so Avatarland should be no exception.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom