AVATAR land construction progress

Cesar R M

Ugh Yes. I don't see anything boy/man related
363.jpg

seriously? Please tell me you're not a member of one of these "meninists" groups.. :hilarious:

Buried20KLeague

Wow... and we thought the backup at It's a Small World was bad. If the Shaman is at the end- we'll get a good view of her for a long long time. Here's hoping its not a short loop of whatever she'll be saying.

Someone else may have already said this... But I thought this boat ride was supposed to use the ride system in SDL's Pirates, rather than just freely flowing boats.

If that's the case, the ride should consist of blocks, with standard movement between blocks by the ride vehicles... Which should mean no huge pileups at the end like Splash/Pirates.

Though I could be off on the ride system. I've paid very little attention to this whole Avatar development. Frankly it doesn't do a whole lot for me.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Someone else may have already said this... But I thought this boat ride was supposed to use the ride system in SDL's Pirates, rather than just freely flowing boats.

If that's the case, the ride should consist of blocks, with standard movement between blocks by the ride vehicles... Which should mean no huge pileups at the end like Splash/Pirates.

Though I could be off on the ride system. I've paid very little attention to this whole Avatar development. Frankly it doesn't do a whole lot for me.

I believe it has been de-bunked that it would use the pirates ride system.

Buried20KLeague

I believe it has been de-bunked that it would use the pirates ride system.

Ah. Shows you how much I have paid attention to this Avatar mess.

But it makes sense. Who needs mega-capacity? Who needs on-board audio? Who needs the ability to control direction and focus for a perfect show experience? Who needs the ability to control spacing of ride vehicles to ensure the same ride experience for every vehicle? Who needs a consistant load/unload without major backups?

All these things are over-rated. Just stick a boat in the water and shove it along via pumps, I say.

;)

Casper Gutman

But it makes sense. Who needs mega-capacity? Who needs on-board audio? Who needs the ability to control direction and focus for a perfect show experience? Who needs the ability to control spacing of ride vehicles to ensure the same ride experience for every vehicle? Who needs a consistant load/unload without major backups?

All these things are over-rated. Just stick a boat in the water and shove it along via pumps, I say.

;)

Honestly, as much as I want to see all that tech used in an American park, I wouldn't care about any of that if the ride was simply longer. An Avatar-themed (American) Pirates of the Caribbean without the flume would have been great.

rushtest4echo

;)

While I certainly agree with most of your points, I don't think Disney ever intended this ride to be an E-ticket. Flight of Passage is clearly the headliner. I can't think of any time Disney has ever built two side by side e-tickets at an established park (maybe I'm mistaken).

Rescue Ranger

Will they now finally be removing Beastly Kingdom accents(like the dragon heads) and replacing them with something representing Pandora?

I'm also curious how long it will be until Disney fully takes Avatar...like Muppets, Indiana Jones, Star wars, etc? I'm sure it will happen eventually.

Now more than ever I feel Dinoland does not fit. Well it fits perfectly, but not in its current form. I'd love to see that area refurbished and get a complete realistic overhaul that better relates to the park.

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

;)
I guess we will wait till the land and ride opens to see if your correct or not.

HauntedMansionFLA

Will they now finally be removing Beastly Kingdom accents(like the dragon heads) and replacing them with something representing Pandora?

I'm also curious how long it will be until Disney fully takes Avatar...like Muppets, Indiana Jones, Star wars, etc? I'm sure it will happen eventually.

Now more than ever I feel Dinoland does not fit. Well it fits perfectly, but not in its current form. I'd love to see that area refurbished and get a complete realistic overhaul that better relates to the park.
Probably once Cameron decides to retire?

Kman101

For those who can't seem to get past their dislike of the Avatar movie (I've seen bits and pieces so I have no comment on the film), just forget the movie existed and pretend Disney created this new land on their own. If the movie didn't exist and Disney came out with this on their own? No one would be complaining at all. JMO. Just a different perspective.

It's funny that some can't separate the two. Just enjoy a really incredibly themed land!

Mawg

I agree, Dinosaurs are ok in Animal Kingdom, but a carnival theme? Needs to go. But I bet ya Disney could make a 4 part series on how Dinoland is the perfect match for Animal Kingdom.

Marc Davis Fan

Progress on the new berm next to the bus area is continuing smoothly. The tall bamboo and other foliage should sufficiently block views of the show buildings and backstage areas. So it won't have the "Cars Land problem" (which, to be fair, was difficult to avoid for that project, and will I think be mitigated/solved upon future development behind that rockwork).

Assuming you're referring to Dino-Rama as the aspect that doesn't fit, I couldn't agree more. Once Pandora is open, it will become even more obvious that Dino-Rama is DAK's "black eye." The contrast between those two areas will literally be absurd. IMHO, Dino-Rama detracts from the overall emotional and aesthetic impact of a day at DAK. Once Dino-Rama is replaced, DAK will (IMHO) be an aesthetically near-perfect theme park (perhaps even more than TDS, and yes I have been to that amazing park).

A reminder, though: It's not the imagineers' fault, as Dino-Rama was built during the late-Eisner/Pressler "dark ages," when new attractions were given shoestring budgets. The imagineers were asked to build two attractions at practically no cost, and I think they did an impressive job coming up with something that fit thematically (story-wise), even if they could not make it fit aesthetically.

Unfortunately, DAK will need Dino-Rama's capacity to absorb Pandora-driven crowds for a little while, but hopefully they'll be able to do something once the initial surge dies down.

Additional rockwork would really help with Dinoland's placemaking. There's already a little at the entrance from Discovery Island, so that type/design of rock could easily be expanded to the rest of the land. A family-friendly coaster through a digsite with such rockwork (a variation on the Excavator plan) could be a big improvement to the land - in terms of attraction quality, placemaking, and unified aesthetic.

But I digress.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom