AVATAR land construction progress

mickey v-neck

And you're a broken record. People make judgments, both good and bad, on things we haven't actually done yet but find info on all the time. That's how we decide what we find worth doing and what we don't.

There's also this thing called reality. In this place called reality, judgments are made based on experience.

mickey v-neck

So, you've absolutely 100% never seen a movie trailer and decided you didn't want to see the movie? You've seen every movie ever so you can make a real judgement based on experience? Because that's not reality. Not even close.

I don't judge movies I haven't seen like normal people, especially movies that are six months away from being released.

Incomudro

So, you've absolutely 100% never seen a movie trailer and decided you didn't want to see the movie? You've seen every movie ever so you can make a real judgement based on experience? Because that's not reality. Not even close.
Not really the same analogy.
With a movie, you are plunking down your money and leaving your home for that one experience.
With a ride such as this, it's simply a built in addition to your park experience.
In fairness, time wise by comparative purposes - it is rather short.
But it might well turn out to be the most beautiful park experience I've ever had.
I'm certainly not going to damn it on short ride length alone at this point.

Mike S

Not really the same analogy.
With a movie, you are plunking down your money and leaving your home for that one experience.
With a ride such as this, it's simply a built in addition to your park experience.
In fairness, time wise by comparative purposes - it is rather short.
But it might well turn out to be the most beautiful park experience I've ever had.
I'm certainly not going to damn it on short ride length alone at this point.
I'm not either. I'm saying that if @cjkeating is disappointed because the ride is shorter than he wanted, he has every right to be.

rioriz

When I see the aerials and this video it seems off to me. In the aerials it looks like a ton of work is left to do and everything is just dirt, but in this video it shows a lot of the plant life and everything already installed on the ground.

Don't forget that the pathways are to resemble dirt, the ground in front to the mountains, around NRJ and the path to Africa are all paved at this time

twebber55

Don't forget that the pathways are to resemble dirt, the ground in front to the mountains, around NRJ and the path to Africa are all paved at this time
so basically just the far right area hasnt been paved yet?

rioriz

so basically just the far right area hasnt been paved yet?

Pretty Much, you can see in the bottom left of the picture, there the berm is, the brown paving of the path that lead to Africa (incidentally is where I believe Rhode and Cameron are in the video with the plants.

BrianLo

The shots were very 'choice'. A substantial amount of ground work is close to complete near the entry ways and the bypass route from Discovery Island to Harambe. Things are less so as you approach the floating mountain or the show building mountain work. Hence why the camera at that point was always looking up.

Keep in mind SDL was also 6 months delayed and looked like a hot mess at this point. If this doesn't open until August it has nothing to do with its current state and everything to do with TDO crawling to the finish line. If there was actual motivation and money it could easily be finished in under three months.

ToTBellHop

The shots were very 'choice'. A substantial amount of ground work is close to complete near the entry ways and the bypass route from Discovery Island to Harambe. Things are less so as you approach the floating mountain or the show building mountain work. Hence why the camera at that point was always looking up.

Keep in mind SDL was also 6 months delayed and looked like a hot mess at this point. If this doesn't open until August it has nothing to do with its current state and everything to do with TDO crawling to the finish line. If there was actual motivation and money it could easily be finished in under three months.
But are the rides ready to go?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just a general question. This land is going to be heavy with bioluminescent plants. Wont that attract a ton of insects at night?
I would say no more than all of the other lighting present in the parks.

Current research shows that insects are more attracted to incandescent and halogen lights. If most of the lights used are LED based, insect attraction should be kept to a minimum. Insect attracting lighting can also be use away from guest areas to move the insect population to areas where they will not affect guests.

Last edited:

BrianLo

But are the rides ready to go?

No, but they are getting there. It seems landscaping is going to be the last holdout over the rides. There doesn't sound like there is any serious technical hurdles holding them up, they just need to finish. Or dawdle and take their time like TDO is known for.

By no means do I expect them to start pulling people and flying them in like Shanghai, which is why June seems totally reasonable. August is a head scratcher.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Though on the flip side, how many Disney boat rides are shorter than four minutes?

Slower-moving rides are typically longer. Unless I am missing something, this is the shortest Disney boat ride ever. So while 2 minutes may be a fine time for Mr. Toad's wild ride and 3 may be fine for Peter Pan's flight... I don't know how 4 will do here.
It's roughly the same time as Maelstrom and longer than Kali. Plus Peter Pan is technically in a "boat" just a flying one;). 4 minutes really isn't as short as it is being made out to be. A boat moves about the same speed as an onnimover so it has the ability to have as much substance as any number of classic MK rides.

We need to wait to see if it seems like it ends abruptly or lacks substance but 4 minutes is plenty long enough to be fully immersive if it includes a good queue area.

Animaniac93-98

It's roughly the same time as Maelstrom and longer than Kali. Plus Peter Pan is technically in a "boat" just a flying one;). 4 minutes really isn't as short as it is being made out to be. A boat moves about the same speed as an onnimover so it has the ability to have as much substance as any number of classic MK rides.

We need to wait to see if it seems like it ends abruptly or lacks substance but 4 minutes is plenty long enough to be fully immersive if it includes a good queue area.

Frozen Ever After is also longer because it incudes the chain lift to the second floor. If there's no change in elevation, than there's less of a need for the ride path/duration to be as long. Jungle Cruise and Living with the Land are longer, with no drops, but they include more dialogue.

Again, we'll need to see how the "story" plays out to know if four minutes is enough time to properly tell it. I agree it's short, and would prefer something longer, but we won't know for sure until it's done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom