AVATAR land construction progress

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As long as it feels complete and doesn't make you feel like it ends too early it should be fine.

In essence, the opposite of SDMT.
Fair enough. I don't know what the backstory for this ride is going to be. 7DMT has some interactive queue elements but doesn't really feel like it has too much of a story. It's hard to tell what will be what since the 2 show buildings for Avatar are kinda mixed together but it seems like there would be some room for a more substantial pre-show. I thought at some point someone mentioned a possible "show scene" before you board the boat that sets the stage. I may be remembering wrong since it's been litterally years of speculating.

P_Radden

Fair enough. I don't know what the backstory for this ride is going to be. 7DMT has some interactive queue elements but doesn't really feel like it has too much of a story. It's hard to tell what will be what since the 2 show buildings for Avatar are kinda mixed together but it seems like there would be some room for a more substantial pre-show. I thought at some point someone mentioned a possible "show scene" before you board the boat that sets the stage. I may be remembering wrong since it's been litterally years of speculating.
The best part of the SDMT queue is the brisk AC breeze that hits you when you're standing in the fast pass line just getting ready to board

djkidkaz

Does anyone else think this project seems really far along for having a "summer" opening?

When I see the aerials and this video it seems off to me. In the aerials it looks like a ton of work is left to do and everything is just dirt, but in this video it shows a lot of the plant life and everything already installed on the ground.

andysol

Does anyone else think this project seems really far along for having a "summer" opening?

I don't think so. Vegetation makes a tremendous difference in the "look" of completion. Just look down the road at Volcano Bay- which doesn't look like it will be done either, but it will.

They probably will be ready by, say spring, but I think they learned their lesson with Rivers of Light. So summer is a safe bet and that leaves them time to open the land for softs.

While I believe it will be open by summer, to say they "learned their lesson" with RoL is comical. We could say they "learned their lesson" about almost every project they've had for a decade. They certainly didn't learn their lesson with New Fantasyland. Or Frozen. Or RoL. Or even Paddlefish and Planet Hollywood. ;)
If history tells us anything, I wouldn't plan on anything earlier than September or even October (JUST missing the date like every other project).

Could it be done by June? Yup. But they aren't Universal.

I also don't see them opening this land up for "Softs" outside of CM/Press Preview. I think they'll just open it.

Kman101

Well, look at F&F at Universal. And Fallon. I wouldn't say they're rushing anything at this point. Both of those couldn't be open? Wasn't F&F delayed? So ... let's not turn it into another debate.

flyerjab

This discussion always intrigues me. How long should an attraction be or how many minutes short is too short? Epcot Center purists will tell you if it isn't an omnimover ride that is at least 10 minutes or more with highly complex components, well, the ride isn't worth the money spent on it. Contrast that statement with a more modern WDW fan's take on it and they might say the exact opposite- this ride is just long enough that I don't need to get out my smart device and entertain myself due to boredom.

Someone on one of the Avatar threads made the statement that this land is essentially a QSR with ten minutes of ride time. That base statement sounds just like Diagon Alley - highly immersive land with one main eating location and one main ride. Maybe this is the current blueprint for future lands (seems like both Star Wars and Nintendo may buck that trend). I believe that @rioriz indicated one time that the boat ride was closer to 5 minutes, and was going to have an incredible interactive queue that was ultimately part one of the ride before even entering the boats. And as far as FoP is concerned, it seems as though that comes down to personal preference; do you or do you not think that a screen-based simulator can equate to a big time E Ticket experience? I think it can, but that is just me.

As far as money goes, should this land have cost 1billion, by all accounts probably not. I don't work in the industry or know someone that does, so I trust to people like @marni1971 to educate me. :) From the glimpses I got from the most recent video I can tell that I am going to love this expansion. I probably won't give the money part a second thought when walking under the mountains, or checking out the glowing flora, or being suspended however many stories in the air above Pandora, or taking that boat ride. This land is going to knock my socks off. And the money and the wait will have been worth it.

Last edited:

Kman101

This discussion always intrigues me. How long should an attraction be or how many minutes short is too short? Epcot Center purists will tell you if it isn't an omnimover ride that is at least 10 minutes or more with highly complex components, well, the ride isn't worth the money spent on it. Contrast that statement with a more modern WDW fan's take on it and they might say the exact opposite- this ride is just long enough that I don't need to get out my smart device and entertain myself due to boredom.

Someone on one of the Avatar threads made the statement that this land is essentially a QSR with ten minutes of ride time. That base statement sounds just like Diagon Alley - highly immersive land with one main eating location and one main ride. Maybe this is the current blueprint for future lands (seems like both Star Wars and Nintendo may buck that trend). I believe that @rioriz indicated one toluene that the boat ride was closer to 5 minutes, and was going to have an incredible interactive queue that was ultimately part one of the ride before even entering the boats. And as far as FoP is concerned, it seems as though that comes down to personal preference; do you or do you not think that a screen-based simulator can equate to a big time E Ticket experience? I think it can, but that is just me.

As far as money goes, should this land have cost 1billion, by all accounts probably not. I don't work in the industry or know someone that does, so I trust to people like @marni1971 to educate me. :) From the glimpses I got from the most recent video I can tell that I am going to love this expansion. I probably won't give the money part a second thought when walking under the mountains, or checking out the glowing flora, or being suspended however many stories in the air above Pandora, or taking that boat ride. This land is going to knock my socks off. And the money and the wait will have been worth it.

Wish I could like this post more than once!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
is this new information on the project? i didnt realize it was a half year behind schedule
Last I heard - which wasn't today or last week - is a potential late summer opening. Obviously they don't want to miss another summer season and they'll have RoL on their minds from last year because of that. It won't be April - as planned - but there's a push for it not to be August, which is still a possibility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom