AVATAR land construction progress

toolsnspools

So this picture confuses me. Obviously this is a backstage maintenance bay area, but is that one or two tracks? I think it's one track with a gap on each side. But maybe it's actually two tracks, one to send the boats in from the ride and one to send them back out. The boats do look pretty small in the concept art so it's possible that two tracks could fit there. I really don't know and can't tell from what we've seen, does anyone else have an idea?
Two tracks make for a front and back guide. That way they can alter the direction the boat points by separating the 2 channels. Notice the right hand channel ends sooner in the shed than the left hand channel.

DManRightHere

I wanna say its one but it would be much clearer if we had a image facing straight down of the part that isn't covered yet. If you look at the guy standing off to the side of the stairs that go over the gap, it looks like that space would be too small for two.

Is this the only picture of track we have? I searched around and could not find anything.

My first impression without knowing anything related to the ride is it's a single track. If that is the case that seems to be a huge track (maybe for horizontal and vertical movement??, that seems expensive if true)

If it is 2 tracks for in and out of maintenance, the width could be irrelevant as they could send one boat at a time as the boats width is floating over the track.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Is this the only picture of track we have? I searched around and could not find anything.

My first impression without knowing anything related to the ride is it's a single track. If that is the case that seems to be a huge track (maybe for horizontal and vertical movement??, that seems expensive if true)

If it is 2 tracks for in and out of maintenance, the width could be irrelevant as they could send one boat at a time as the boats width is floating over the track.

The building was closed in before the track was built, so the only glimpse we got was that little section that went out to the maintenance bay.

twebber55

Thanks, was just in the process of uploading it to flickr to bypass the silly site inter-competition, you are too quick!

(Should be visible now)

Edit: Also, I've decided it's new(ish). I'm excited for them to start installing all these prefabbed pieces. It will make things seem like they have been accelerated for a little bit.

24931053774_1c5ccb7f63_o.jpg
Pandora-The-World-of-AVATAR-February-2016-3.jpg

this picture is from damouse.com from FEB 24th
looks like your pre fab rock which is now up is just above and to the left of the worker
so this is very newish

RayTheFirefly

Pandora-The-World-of-AVATAR-February-2016-3.jpg

this picture is from damouse.com from FEB 24th
looks like your pre fab rock which is now up is just above and to the left of the worker
so this is very newish
Has it been made clear how they are going to hide that building? Will there be more rockwork going up on that portion of it?

bjm72385

Oh yeah, that sounds right. Probably what it is and maybe what the Avatar boat ride also is.

Also, don't get too excited yet because I may be wrong that nothing was cut. I noticed that "unknown scene" does not seem to be coming along like the others. Kind of concerning that I don't see giant birthday hats yet!
Just kidding, the ride looks great, I really am not concerned about that. I'm more concerned about bigger issues such as the fountains working, the park not crumbling apart due to shoddy construction, etc.

Back to Avatar:
View attachment 133486
So this picture confuses me. Obviously this is a backstage maintenance bay area, but is that one or two tracks? I think it's one track with a gap on each side. But maybe it's actually two tracks, one to send the boats in from the ride and one to send them back out. The boats do look pretty small in the concept art so it's possible that two tracks could fit there. I really don't know and can't tell from what we've seen, does anyone else have an idea?
This is the picture I couldn't find yesterday to post with the picture of Crystal Grotto for comparison. You can see that the center guide "trough" or channel looks to be the same on Crystal Grotto and Avatar. I think this is def only one track with an entrance and exit from the main ride path like all other boat rides. I know the width of the ride area where the water will be seems much wider on Crystal Grotto, but keep in mind that this pic of Avatar is the maintenance area, so no need for the excess.

As someone else said, this looks to be a similar ride system as JC with a center trough/channel for the main guide wheel (btw does Shanghai have a JC or is this their equivalent?). This really makes me wonder what kind of ride system Avatar will be. I think its safe to say it's not the Omnimover system, but could this even be the underwater controlled boats system?

RayTheFirefly

we are only seeing the building because of the angles that these photos are taken, outside of the actual park. The general thought is you will not be able to see the building from the sightlines within DAK
It seems like they're being taken from guest-accessible locations, though. Is that not correct?

wdwgreek

I'm really pumped for this boat ride. High quality AA's , hopefully a high capacity, some nice music , I just wish we had more details on it. Its being built, but we can't even all agree on the ride system with certainty. Does anyone have a breakdown of how much is being spent on the boat ride itself and what to expect from it? Ride length wise, story wise etch.

Brian Swan

Oh yeah, that sounds right. Probably what it is and maybe what the Avatar boat ride also is.

Also, don't get too excited yet because I may be wrong that nothing was cut. I noticed that "unknown scene" does not seem to be coming along like the others. Kind of concerning that I don't see giant birthday hats yet!
Just kidding, the ride looks great, I really am not concerned about that. I'm more concerned about bigger issues such as the fountains working, the park not crumbling apart due to shoddy construction, etc.

Back to Avatar:
View attachment 133486
I'm reading this a single dual-track; the front of the boat would be on one "rail" and the back of the boat on the other "rail". This is in keeping with some of the patent pictures that have been posted here. In the wider sections of the river mid-ride (hidden inside of the building), the rails can separate allowing the boat to turn/move sideways. One of the patent pictures also showed a "switching" system where the front of the boat would continue on a "main" rail and the rear of the boat would be switched to a secondary rail to allow for turns. It even showed how it would be possible for a boat to do a complete 180-degree turn and then switch back to a single rail to travel backwards. The length of the CG boats makes this kind of control unlikely for that ride system, but the relatively short boats in the Pandora concept art could certainly allow for this degree of freedom in motion. I'm "guessing" that Shanghai CG, POC, and Pandora will all use similar technologies, modified to the individual needs of each ride.

spectromagic04

Way to judge before it opens. You can like it as much as you want. But please don't compare things you haven't even ridden yet.
I'm not saying that this won't be a great ride because Pirates is one of my favorite rides at WDW so I fully expect this to be right up there as one of my favorites. Plus if Martin says it won't be as good as Forbidden Journey I believe him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom