AVATAR land construction progress

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Something I've been wondering:

It looks like they incorporated the worker platforms into the rock mountains by having all those steel bars sticking out and laying scaffold decking boards over top them. This is an awesome idea, as opposed to building lots of scaffold towers everywhere, but I wonder how those steel beams will be removed once the rock face is completed? Also, are they doing the rock facade around the beams, removing them later, then patching in all those holes?

See these older pic for reference, notice all the support beams sticking out and supporting the work platforms:
View attachment 110209
View attachment 110210
They did the same thing when they built E:E.

They get cut off an covered at the end.

Expedition_Everest_under_construction.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member

It looks like they incorporated the worker platforms into the rock mountains by having all those steel bars sticking out and laying scaffold decking boards over top them. This is an awesome idea, as opposed to building lots of scaffold towers everywhere, but I wonder how those steel beams will be removed once the rock face is completed? Also, are they doing the rock facade around the beams, removing them later, then patching in all those holes?

See these older pic for reference, notice all the support beams sticking out and supporting the work platforms:
View attachment 110209
View attachment 110210

Disney calls if Toothpick scaffolding, you can see more details in this video about Everest starting around the 13:00 mark. As Master Yoda said, when they are done they cut the ends off and patch the holes. They start at the top cutting off the scaffolding that is one level above and then work their way down. It sounds like they came up with this for Everest and have used it since then on Carsland and the FL expansion.

RSoxNo1

View attachment 110209
View attachment 110210
That's how Disney does rock work... they do it better than anyone other company. Don't worry about it.

HauntedMansionFLA

This kind of photo can also help give us an idea of exactly how large the Star Wars expansion will be. This is only 10 acres and look how enormous this land is.
I didn't realize the Soarin / boat ride was that big. I'm trying to figure out what is the structure toward the front. Part of the floating mountains ?

flyerjab

Rememebr the Soarin ride has 4 theaters, one of the reasons it's so big.

The floating mountain structure is just insane. Just look at all the temporary structure they had to put in place to hold it up while it's being built.

I would love to be standing there when the supports are removed to hear that structure settle in on itself (not underneath it of course).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom