AVATAR land construction progress

roj2323

So you can see about a story and a half of the theater from the park entrance and you can also clearly see it from Everest. On another note the walkway behind pizzafari has been cleared of quite a few trees too.

Tom

Beta Return
Does it make sense that they would use land behind Asia to build some of the rock work and then bring it over to Avatarland in sections to install? Kinda like pre-fab construction or something. I'm really out of my league talking about this so that may make no sense at all.

The rockwork plastering will be done in-place. The rebar cages will likely be made off-site, since the computer-controlled bender should stay indoors.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

That's nothing, take a look at the pictures from December on http://us.nearmap.com/. Dramatically more going on back there.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Dan, I do not want to be the idiot trying to make something out of nothing. But that shot from December looks like there has been a lot cleared back there. What all is going on? Is that simply staging for items being prefabbed for Pandora?

That's what I suspect. I really can't see what else they could be building back there. Hopefully @photoflight can eventually provide us some photos of that area.

WDWGuide

That area where they are prepping construction has always held a weird fascination for me, mostly because of the now-mostly-obliterated weird "shape" therein that was apparently significant enough to note on the master plan. Anyone know exactly what this was? It looks like some sort of a horticultural area.

WeirdShape.jpg

Masterplan1.jpg

MagicGoofy

On the rock work mock up permit it says October 31st 2016 as its notice of commencement which it also says it can't be before contruction is completed so we could be looking at a January 2017 opening

danlb_2000

Premium Member
On the rock work mock up permit it says October 31st 2016 as its notice of commencement which it also says it can't be before contruction is completed so we could be looking at a January 2017 opening

The expiration date is when the work specified in that permit has to be completed, not when the entire project has to be completed. All of the Avatar permits have been using that expiration date even though individual permits, like this one, will likely be done before then. With that said, it also doesn't mean that things can't go beyond that date. Additional permits could be filed with later dates, or the current one could be extended which is what happened with the Fantasyland expansion.

twebber55

The expiration date is when the work specified in that permit has to be completed, not when the entire project has to be completed. All of the Avatar permits have been using that expiration date even though individual permits, like this one, will likely be done before then. With that said, it also doesn't mean that things can't go beyond that date. Additional permits could be filed with later dates, or the current one could be extended which is what happened with the Fantasyland expansion.
but "could" it mean they plan on having it done by then with some flexible time to be finished by say March of 2017?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That area where they are prepping construction has always held a weird fascination for me, mostly because of the now-mostly-obliterated weird "shape" therein that was apparently significant enough to note on the master plan. Anyone know exactly what this was? It looks like some sort of a horticultural area.

View attachment 83465

View attachment 83466
Yes, it was the second location of the tree farm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom