AVATAR land construction progress

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Interesting to me is that there is no poured floor (yet?) for the lowest level of the show building. @Tom is this common? I would think it would need something for moisture control, although perhaps not concrete.
I am not sure which area you are referring to, but there are a number of situations where what look like walls would go up before an actual floor slab is poured. My first inclination would be a stem wall style foundation where grade is more than a few inches lower than the actual floor.

stemwall.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I am not sure which area you are referring to, but there are a number of situations where what look like walls would go up before an actual floor slab is poured. My first inclination would be a stem wall style foundation where grade is more than a few inches lower than the actual floor.

stemwall.jpg

Yeah, if you look a the construction of the new Kong ride and Gringotts at Uni you can see that the show building went up before the floor was poured. The Soarin ride is a very similar steel framed show building, but the Mine Ride was different and I imagine the boat ride will be also.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah, if you look a the construction of the new Kong ride and Gringotts at Uni you can see that the show building went up before the floor was poured. The Soarin ride is a very similar steel framed show building, but the Mine Ride was different and I imagine the boat ride will be also.
There are several situations that come to mind where you would wait to pour the floor. A stem wall was just the most common one I am use to seeing.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
There are enough landmarks now to line up some of the photos. I've done a color mapping on these 2:

View attachment 79586 View attachment 79587

The entrance to the banshee simulator will be through the yellow area. My guess is that we'll see a second set of floating mountains off to the right of these pictures. I've been wondering if they could have real floating mountains on the top of the structure using a "flight's of wonder" type of setup, but without passengers. They could raise and lower them based on weather conditions. Might be a little far fetched, but it would be cool to see.

I haven't seen that photo cropped in quite that way. Mr. Rohde looks like he's thinking, "These little people don't look like they are enjoying themselves and I'm incredibly concerned that giant rock structure is going to fall on them."

Last edited:

Figment2005

There are enough landmarks now to line up some of the photos. I've done a color mapping on these 2:

The entrance to the banshee simulator will be through the yellow area. My guess is that we'll see a second set of floating mountains off to the right of these pictures. I've been wondering if they could have real floating mountains on the top of the structure using a "flight's of wonder" type of setup, but without passengers. They could raise and lower them based on weather conditions. Might be a little far fetched, but it would be cool to see.
So, would the attractions show building be situated at Joe Rhodes left, our right looking at the picture? I would assume, since the picture is an incomplete view of the model, that something would be occupying the area the path under Rhode leads to.

toolsnspools

So, would the attractions show building be situated at Joe Rhodes left, our right looking at the picture? I would assume, since the picture is an incomplete view of the model, that something would be occupying the area the path under Rhode leads to.
Exactly. The C Ticket would be behind and to the right of the floating mountain we can see. The Banshee Simulator show building would be just off the right edge of the models picture.

flyerjab

Exactly. The C Ticket would be behind and to the right of the floating mountain we can see. The Banshee Simulator show building would be just off the right edge of the models picture.

I have always struggled with trying to figure out what part of Pandora you can see in that famous photo of the model with Rohde, Staggs and Cameron in the background. Even after reading your description and still can't figure it out. At what angle is the photo taken from our perspective?

flyerjab

The one thing I am guessing is that the red circle is indicating that the large concrete structure is the foundation/center of a large water feature that is separate from the boat ride?

toolsnspools

I have always struggled with trying to figure out what part of Pandora you can see in that famous photo of the model with Rohde, Staggs and Cameron in the background. Even after reading your description and still can't figure it out. At what angle is the photo taken from our perspective?
Both pictures are taken from almost the same angle. Maybe someone with better photo editing software can overlay them.

Rob562

The perspective of the model photo is taken from approximately the west-northwest side of the expansion looking southeast. The parking lot and resort bus stations would be behind Joe.

-Rob

Last edited:

Seanual757

Looks like a good size pour went on Friday night into Saturday morning we were leaving the MK and noticed trucks coming and going from Bear Island to Western way. We circled back around off Osceola Parkway to head to AK lodge and you could see trucks going in by the bus entrance with lots of lights and 2 booms in the air.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
Interesting to me is that there is no poured floor (yet?) for the lowest level of the show building. @Tom is this common? I would think it would need something for moisture control, although perhaps not concrete.

There are several situations that come to mind where you would wait to pour the floor. A stem wall was just the most common one I am use to seeing.
It's fairly common on steel framed structures to wait until later in the process to pour the first floor slab on grade. Typically the steel framing supports all the floors and roof, and the perimeter (and interior) walls are non-load-bearing curtain walls that just in-fill between floors, so the slab isn't really needed until those walls are installed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom