AVATAR land construction progress

cjkeating

Quick question... I had never noticed before that the boat ride portion actual has the wording "C Ticket Showbox" on it. Is the term C Ticket actually a real term that would be used on real plans or was that added by fans/posters after the fact?

I always assumed that the letter ticket thing was just an unofficial designation placed on rides by fans (using the old ticket model as a guideline). I would find it very surprising if real Disney engineers would ever put that kind of term on paper. Not trying to cast any sort of aspersions on the legitimacy of this artwork or anything. Just really curious about it and very surprised that they would do that. Any insight that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

At a guess within Imagineering they would have referred to the boat ride as a 'C-ticket' the simulator ride as a 'D-ticket' and the cancelled bike coaster as the 'E-ticket'. I presume they subliminally use these names to ensure they get an E-ticket although it doesn't seem to have happened in this circumstance.

Figment2005

OK, after searching around online and finding an additional level of blueprints, I've decided to amend my interpretation of the blueprints slightly...

Here is the 1st level:

You can see the C-ticket boat ride in the upper right, which coincides with the area where the queue is.
In the center of the building is a room marked "Glasses Cleaning", confirming that this will be some kind of 3D attraction that'll use an in-house cleaner rather than a central washer facility which I think most of the other 3D shows use.

I also don't think that any of this level will have Guest access. Almost all the corridors are labeled BOH, which in theater terms means "back of house" or backstage areas. There are markings in each of the theaters that kind of look like rooms and partitions, but I think those are just foundation pieces for the ride system. I just don't see any way to get Guests down to this level of the building.

It's also worth noting that the top two theaters (Theaters C and D) are labeled as "ADA" meaning they'd be the two that wheelchair and other mobility-impaired Guests would use.

Now we move on to Level 2:

Now we start to see some of the ride mechanics in place in each theater. Of major note is the green corridor labeled "Show Exit" running straight through the building but most everything else on this level is still labeled BOH. You have two green staircases at the very bottom of the plan that dump into this Exit corridor. But there seems to be no way to get Guests from the ride chambers to these stairways or exit corridor, so once again I do not believe there will be any Guest access to this level other than the Guests leaving theaters A and B via stairs from at least the level above and exiting out through the two sets of doors at the top end of the Exit hallway.

This also shows us that Theaters A and B will exit out of the ride building on a different level than Theaters C and D. Presumably there will then be some way that the two will merge (gift shop?) that is beyond the scope of these blueprints.

Lastly, the two white staircases at the top and bottom ends of the Exit corridor appear to be strictly fire and backstage use.

In the upper right you see empty space for the C-Ticket boat ride with just stairs going through the space, so the indoor section of the boat ride will be two stories tall.

And now for Level 3:

Now you start to see the queue in the upper right, placed on top of the 2-story C-ticket boat ride.

What caused me to reconsider my original idea of a single-level loading are the two stairways on either side of the C/D exit vestibule at the top center. Originally I thought those were leading up from the cross-over hallway from Theaters A and B. But those two stairways don't appear on the Level 2 plan. So those two stairways *must* be coming down from at least Level 4, which is a level we have no blueprints for.

So, at some point in the straight-away between the queue Merge room and the central distribution level you have Guests being routed to at least Level 4, perhaps Level 5.

Looking at all the mechanical stuff on Level 2, perhaps there are only two levels with ride vehicles, and Level 4 is more mechanical stuff for a ride vehicle loading area on Level 5.

But alas, I've run out lunch break time so if I've left anything off it'll have to wait until this evening...

-Rob
Would it be possible for the ride system to not consist of either of the assumed, and be somewhat of a variation? I was thinking after reading that could it be possible that the ride vehicles, banshees, are loaded and then dropped down into the viewing area from above? This could possibly eliminate the whole blank screen, visible ride mechanism show issues. Any thoughts?

flyerjab

Would it be possible for the ride system to not consist of either of the assumed, and be somewhat of a variation? I was thinking after reading that could it be possible that the ride vehicles, banshees, are loaded and then dropped down into the viewing area from above? This could possibly eliminate the whole blank screen, visible ride mechanism show issues. Any thoughts?

Had some similar thoughts to this. A ride design of this type (or any for that matter) that is used by Imagineering doesn't have to be as it is advertised, correct? They could modify it to satisfy their requirements, couldn't they? I can't imaging that everything is as found off of the shelf.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Had some similar thoughts to this. A ride design of this type (or any for that matter) that is used by Imagineering doesn't have to be as it is advertised, correct? They could modify it to satisfy their requirements, couldn't they? I can't imaging that everything is as found off of the shelf.

They could modify it to some extent, but as @Tom has been saying everything we have seen so far matches the Vekoma Panoramic Flight Simulator.

Last edited:

flyerjab

They could modify it to some extent, but at @Tom has been saying everything we have seen so far matches the Vekoma Panoramic Flight Simulator.

The main structure of the building yes. I was thinking more in line with the ride vehicles themselves. I still think that the women interviewing Iger took him way to literally when he said about feeling it breathing and that you are actually climbing onto a banshee. That would cut down the number of riders per hour way too far.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The main structure of the building yes. I was thinking more in line with the ride vehicles themselves. I still think that the women interviewing Iger took him way to literally when he said about feeling it breathing and that you are actually climbing onto a banshee. That would cut down the number of riders per hour way too far.

The ride vehicle is definitely a place they could make changes. I am really hoping you get to actually ride a banshee, especially since we can't figure out how they could do it! That's what we used to expect from Imagineering.

doctornick

The ride vehicle is definitely a place they could make changes. I am really hoping you get to actually ride a banshee, especially since we can't figure out how they could do it! That's what we used to expect from Imagineering.

With Cameron involved, I wouldn't be surprised to see them wow us with something unexpected.

sedati

Just speculating, but I think what I'm seeing is four separate ride systems, but each containing two sets of vehicles. One will load and "take flight," where, aside from it's simulator type movements, the rig itself will travel horizontally and vertically amongst not one, but several curves screens of varying sizes. The smaller box type theaters on the lower floor could be quite tall, and would be where the vehicle would rise to the upper portion. On the upper floor the widest screen will allow the system to cross over, switching place with the still loading second rig. Think of Tower of Terror and how it handles multiple vehicles sharing each shaft.

roj2323

My theory is ground level is going to be for mechanics and level 2 will be for guests. The enormous concrete wall they are currently building looks as if it is going to hold back an earth berm or house elevator shafts. Either way It's an amazingly complex project.

Figment2005

Just speculating, but I think what I'm seeing is four separate ride systems, but each containing two sets of vehicles. One will load and "take flight," where, aside from it's simulator type movements, the rig itself will travel horizontally and vertically amongst not one, but several curves screens of varying sizes. The smaller box type theaters on the lower floor could be quite tall, and would be where the vehicle would rise to the upper portion. On the upper floor the widest screen will allow the system to cross over, switching place with the still loading second rig. Think of Tower of Terror and how it handles multiple vehicles sharing each shaft.
I also noticed that the screens appear to have separate upper and lower halves that are not connected. Is this just the way they are done in blueprints, or is there something like what you mentioned where multiple screens will be involved?

dstrawn9889

I also noticed that the screens appear to have separate upper and lower halves that are not connected. Is this just the way they are done in blueprints, or is there something like what you mentioned where multiple screens will be involved?
more likely it is the floorplans cutting the image in twain

Rob562

If the ride vehicles were enclosed with some kind of retractable wall, it's quite possible that you won't see the screen area while loading/unloading.

-Rob

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If the ride vehicles were enclosed with some kind of retractable wall, it's quite possible that you won't see the screen area while loading/unloading.

-Rob

Since the projection system will be digital it wouldn't be necessary to every have a blank screen. There could be a constant loop running while the ride is being loaded/unloaded and then it would switch into the actual show video when the ride starts.

Tom

Beta Return
@Rob562, that's an awesome analysis!

Looking at this write-up, I just realized (and sorry if I'm slow) that it's very likely that the queue and C-ticket boat ride will use the same theming. As in, when you're in the boat, you can look up at the mountains and see people "climbing" them, and when you're in the queue, you can see people in boats below.

This should make for an awesome themed queue, and personally I love queues that are windows into other rides (and generally semi-combined rides like these are always fun!)

I doubt they will expose the queue to the boat ride. Lots of opportunity for mischief.

Quick question... I had never noticed before that the boat ride portion actual has the wording "C Ticket Showbox" on it. Is the term C Ticket actually a real term that would be used on real plans or was that added by fans/posters after the fact?

I always assumed that the letter ticket thing was just an unofficial designation placed on rides by fans (using the old ticket model as a guideline). I would find it very surprising if real Disney engineers would ever put that kind of term on paper. Not trying to cast any sort of aspersions on the legitimacy of this artwork or anything. Just really curious about it and very surprised that they would do that. Any insight that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

At a guess within Imagineering they would have referred to the boat ride as a 'C-ticket' the simulator ride as a 'D-ticket' and the cancelled bike coaster as the 'E-ticket'. I presume they subliminally use these names to ensure they get an E-ticket although it doesn't seem to have happened in this circumstance.

The simulator attraction is identified as E-Ticket on the plans.

Typically, there isn't a whole lot of flexibility when a ride manufacturer makes and sells a ride. There are pre-determined customizations, like number of seats, number of carriages and a few other things. But given all the engineering that went into the turn-key solution, it would require a significant amount of re-design to modify systems (i.e. to carry different ride vehicles than intended).

I'm thinking it was an exaggeration, and liken it to how "you feel like you're actually on a hang-glider" when riding Soarin. I believe they will just use seats.

There are four theaters, with with one "ride system". A system has 3 load/unload levels, each which load guests onto one of two multi-seat carriages. Think of Soarin in its "show position". Rather than lifting the entire assembly up to start the show, each of these six carriages will telescope out into the show space once guests are boarded. You'll be projected into the curve of the IMAX type screen, and your 10-seat carriage will be able to tilt, sway, and roll.

The loading and unloading will be similar to that of Soarin, where guests queue up in a holding pen while a show is playing. That show ends, guests exit, doors open, guests enter. There will not be two systems per theater. Everything is fixed.

My theory is ground level is going to be for mechanics and level 2 will be for guests. The enormous concrete wall they are currently building looks as if it is going to hold back an earth berm or house elevator shafts. Either way It's an amazingly complex project.

Ground is indeed for mechanical and electrical.

Tom

Beta Return

-Rob

There's no evidence of this, but they could darken the theater and increase the light in the load area.

Since the projection system will be digital it wouldn't be necessary to every have a blank screen. There could be a constant loop running while the ride is being loaded/unloaded and then it would switch into the actual show video when the ride starts.

This is also a distinct possibility.

this is what the simpsons ride does

Sort of. You board the Simpsons vehicle in a "room" with no ceiling, then hydraulics lift the vehicle about 10' into the air, which allows the theater to become visible. Similar concept.

doctornick

I doubt they will expose the queue to the boat ride. Lots of opportunity for mischief.

On the leaked plans, in the longer standby queue, there is a rectangular area that the queue seems to go around. It's right above one of the show scenes of the boat road (again, per the leaked plans). I think it's possible that you will have a view into the show scene from above -- much like you have a view into LWTL when eating in The Garden Grill in Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom