AVATAR land construction progress

Rob562

On the leaked plans, in the longer standby queue, there is a rectangular area that the queue seems to go around. It's right above one of the show scenes of the boat road (again, per the leaked plans). I think it's possible that you will have a view into the show scene from above -- much like you have a view into LWTL when eating in The Garden Grill in Epcot.

More likely that's just themed queue stuff that the queue will wind around.

-Rob

RSoxNo1

Just speculating, but I think what I'm seeing is four separate ride systems, but each containing two sets of vehicles. One will load and "take flight," where, aside from it's simulator type movements, the rig itself will travel horizontally and vertically amongst not one, but several curves screens of varying sizes. The smaller box type theaters on the lower floor could be quite tall, and would be where the vehicle would rise to the upper portion. On the upper floor the widest screen will allow the system to cross over, switching place with the still loading second rig. Think of Tower of Terror and how it handles multiple vehicles sharing each shaft.
I've been tracking this rumor since 2011... this is what I've got on my site for the E-ticket attraction:
  • 3D simulator housed in a gigantic show building - Appears to be comparable to Soarin' or The Simpsons Ride at Universal Studios.
  • Per Disney "Guests will also discover what it feels like to soar into the sky riding a Banshee."
  • The vessels that guests will ride upon will essentially be the banshees themselves, with bodies that move to mimic a breathing beast. The flying sequences will be brought to life through large video screens — similar to “Soarin'” — with vehicles moving with the 3D action inside a massive theater.
  • The building will have multiple levels and guests will enter the building on level 3.
  • The attraction will have four separate theaters with three rows of seating in each theater. Two of the theaters are expected to be ADA compliant.
  • Each row will load on a separate level.
  • The exact nature of the simulator itself is unclear but Disney has publicly mentioned a "Banshee ride" on multiple occasions.
  • Capacity would be comparable to Soarin’ assuming an 8 minute cycle time.
  • The attraction will be housed in a building by itself, with the exception of a portion of the C-Ticket attraction that will enter the Northeast corner of the building.
  • The reported name of this attraction is "Flight of Passage"
  • One possible ride system for the E-Ticket attraction is ironically known as Pandora's Box and is made by ride manufacturer Vekoma.

toolsnspools

I grabbed a screen shot from the flyover video and thought I'd share a few thoughts on what I'm seeing. I'm no engineer or contractor, so I welcome the flurry of corrections that is bound to follow. :) Pardon the poor drawing, but the snipping tool is as technical as my picture editing tools get.

YELLOW: Looking at the structural steel on the E ticket show building, it is going to be 5 stories tall, or 4 stories with a double high fourth story.
BLUE: This area looks like a mess right now, but I figure it's either going to be a power substation for the rides, or the pump house for the C Ticket.
RED: Lots of speculation on what these funky concrete areas are... I'm guessing they are the footings/footers for the "floating mountains". The mountains have to be built on a cantilever system, and I figure they will "float" to the north of these. The clusters of concrete columns to the north of this area will support the vines that come off the mountains.

It's really cool to see this finally coming together. Thanks to all the experts who are giving their professional input on what we're seeing.

I can't wait for the next drone video capturing Disney security hauling off the guy with the drone remote. Should be a lot of fun to watch. :hilarious:

Tom

Beta Return
I grabbed a screen shot from the flyover video and thought I'd share a few thoughts on what I'm seeing. I'm no engineer or contractor, so I welcome the flurry of corrections that is bound to follow. :) Pardon the poor drawing, but the snipping tool is as technical as my picture editing tools get.

YELLOW: Looking at the structural steel on the E ticket show building, it is going to be 5 stories tall, or 4 stories with a double high fourth story.
BLUE: This area looks like a mess right now, but I figure it's either going to be a power substation for the rides, or the pump house for the C Ticket.
RED: Lots of speculation on what these funky concrete areas are... I'm guessing they are the footings/footers for the "floating mountains". The mountains have to be built on a cantilever system, and I figure they will "float" to the north of these. The clusters of concrete columns to the north of this area will support the vines that come off the mountains.

It's really cool to see this finally coming together. Thanks to all the experts who are giving their professional input on what we're seeing.

I can't wait for the next drone video capturing Disney security hauling off the guy with the drone remote. Should be a lot of fun to watch. :hilarious:

View attachment 79411

Yellow.....I concur.

Red......I concur.

Blue.......electrical room. All the gray pipes are conduit.

Tom

Beta Return
yup,electrical all the way. a pump house to move enough water to push a loaded boat around is not that subtle, try 12 and 15 inch diameter steel piping

Right, and seeing that screenshot, it looks like they've poured a slick slab under that portion of the boat ride. I don't see any supply pipes, so perhaps they're going to build a trough/canal and cast the supply pipes and directional jets into the side walls. Would be a first for WDW, since all of their water-propelled boats are jetted from below.

Tom

Beta Return
yup,electrical all the way. a pump house to move enough water to push a loaded boat around is not that subtle, try 12 and 15 inch diameter steel piping

12" and 15" for sure, but probably more like Schedule 80 thick wall PCV. That's what we used when we built a huge lazy river a couple years ago. Works great, and is what all the pool engineers spec now.

peter11435

Would be a first for WDW, since all of their water-propelled boats are jetted from below.

It could be like POTC where the pumps are just outside the flume walls and the pipes are mounted to the flume floor under the boats. The boats simply float over all of the pipes.

Rob562

Right, and seeing that screenshot, it looks like they've poured a slick slab under that portion of the boat ride. I don't see any supply pipes, so perhaps they're going to build a trough/canal and cast the supply pipes and directional jets into the side walls. Would be a first for WDW, since all of their water-propelled boats are jetted from below.

I vaguely recall Disney applying for some boat ride related patents a few years ago. One involved linear-induction-propelled boats, and another the boats were connected by underwater cables that essentially turned the ride into a floating Omnimover.

Not saying that either one will happen here, but it'd interesting if the main E-ticket wasn't the only new ride technology being installed in this project...

-Rob

danlb_2000

Premium Member
For what it's worth, here are a couple shots of the construction as visible from the bus route (taken Monday 1/12). We were there a little after 10am, and there was a lot of visible activity going on

View attachment 79511

View attachment 79512

This really is going to be a big show building. What we are seeing now is just the central core, they haven't even started to build the outside walls of the show building.

flyerjab

This really is going to be a big show building. What we are seeing now is just the central core, they haven't even started to build the outside walls of the show building.

I keep forgetting about that. The actual portions of the building that house the huge screens aren't even up yet. I will still be curious to see if this side of the building is themed to look like a mountain to complete the illusion.

Mike730

Here's what I wanna know. The leaked plans show the boat ride traveling northeast of the red area, but the aerials only show concrete to the southeast of that area. What's more is the staircases on the east side of the red plans would mean the emergency exits from the queue would go down the center of the boat building? Do we assume the boat path wraps around to the southeast side? Or have they changed the boat ride configuration?
Leaked_Disney_Animal_Kingdom_Avatar_Plans_021.png

i-LdjD9QmL-L.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Here's what I wanna know. The leaked plans show the boat ride traveling northeast of the red area, but the aerials only show concrete to the southeast of that area. What's more is the staircases on the east side of the red plans would mean the emergency exits from the queue would go down the center of the boat building? Do we assume the boat path wraps around to the southeast side? Or have they changed the boat ride configuration?
Leaked_Disney_Animal_Kingdom_Avatar_Plans_021.png

i-LdjD9QmL-L.jpg

I think there is enough concrete to the north east that the ride path shown in the plans is possible. It's also possible that what is shown in the drawing is just a concept for the boat ride and not the actual detail of what is going to be built.

toolsnspools

There are enough landmarks now to line up some of the photos. I've done a color mapping on these 2:

Model.JPG
Aerial Photo.JPG

The entrance to the banshee simulator will be through the yellow area. My guess is that we'll see a second set of floating mountains off to the right of these pictures. I've been wondering if they could have real floating mountains on the top of the structure using a "flight's of wonder" type of setup, but without passengers. They could raise and lower them based on weather conditions. Might be a little far fetched, but it would be cool to see.

twebber55

There are enough landmarks now to line up some of the photos. I've done a color mapping on these 2:

View attachment 79586 View attachment 79587

The entrance to the banshee simulator will be through the yellow area. My guess is that we'll see a second set of floating mountains off to the right of these pictures. I've been wondering if they could have real floating mountains on the top of the structure using a "flight's of wonder" type of setup, but without passengers. They could raise and lower them based on weather conditions. Might be a little far fetched, but it would be cool to see.
Great job
Im wondering if that big floating mtn isn't more centrally located

msteel

View attachment 79411

Interesting to me is that there is no poured floor (yet?) for the lowest level of the show building. @Tom is this common? I would think it would need something for moisture control, although perhaps not concrete.

twebber55

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom