AVATAR land construction progress

Skibum1970

I'm not trying to go off topic but was curious about something. I wondered if it would make any sense to Disney for the project to be accelerated. There is always the possibility of not being relevant, especially with Avatar. It seems as if the construction pace is fairly glacial but maybe they are moving as fast as they can. Radiator Springs took a very long time to build the skeleton for the rockwork and then the actual building of the rockwork. So, I was just thinking about this. The concept art looks very promising but a four or five year build is a loooooong time.

doctornick

I'm not trying to go off topic but was curious about something. I wondered if it would make any sense to Disney for the project to be accelerated. There is always the possibility of not being relevant, especially with Avatar. It seems as if the construction pace is fairly glacial but maybe they are moving as fast as they can. Radiator Springs took a very long time to build the skeleton for the rockwork and then the actual building of the rockwork. So, I was just thinking about this. The concept art looks very promising but a four or five year build is a loooooong time.

The target is 2017, so that's more like a 3 to 4 year build. It's easy to criticize Disney for how long it takes to build things, but 3.5 years to build this project, if it has anywhere near the details of the concept art, isn't that crazy, maybe it could be accelerated to closer to 2.5 to 3 years and be ready by late 2016 if they wanted to be aggressive.

It all comes back to the point that the project was announced way earlier than typical before the design stage was even began. So, it seems like it is taking far longer than it should. It is probably on a similar timeline as other projects like Cars Land or the FLE, it was just officially announced way earlier.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

What difference will 1 or 2 years of construction time now, make in 15 to 20 years? If Disney actually believed that the movie falling out of relevance would hurt the appeal of the land they wouldn't be building it at all. That sort of thinking would work for a movie which earns the vast majority of it's lifetime profits in just a few weeks, but a theme park attraction has to last 20 years or more.

Skibum1970

Thanks for the replies. Again, it was more idle curiosity and not a condemnation of Disney. I remember watching photo updates for Radiator Springs and it was hard to watch. The proverbial "watched pot never boils". So much is happening that weekly updates never really see. Even site clearing and prepping for the first stages seems to take forever.

NoChesterHester

I wonder how deep you have to put your pillars and base structures in Florida.
I know its a lot of swamp and soft land with hardly any rock base.

Some of central Florida does have a rock shelf and drilled piers are effective in reaching it. Most of Orlando however has very soft, wet, and organic soil. It requires large shallow foundations called "rafts" or friction piles and caps.

The "vertical construction" observed could be shoring back earth to create deeper features, such as water areas, or large basement areas for machinery.

NoChesterHester

The target is 2017, so that's more like a 3 to 4 year build. It's easy to criticize Disney for how long it takes to build things, but 3.5 years to build this project, if it has anywhere near the details of the concept art, isn't that crazy, maybe it could be accelerated to closer to 2.5 to 3 years and be ready by late 2016 if they wanted to be aggressive.

It all comes back to the point that the project was announced way earlier than typical before the design stage was even began. So, it seems like it is taking far longer than it should. It is probably on a similar timeline as other projects like Cars Land or the FLE, it was just officially announced way earlier.

4 years is slow. Very slow. If properly executed a project of this scale should be a 24-30 month build. Honestly, there aren't many things on Earth that came be constructed in that period.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My theory is that they want the opening of the land to coincide with the new movies coming out.

Back on topic: There's an enormous drill hanging from a crane behind the Rainforest Cafe right now.

Based on Cameron's history that is going to be like trying to hit a moving target.

Sounds like they are starting to drill for pilings. Looks like work really is starting to happen.

The inability to get regular photo updates is going to be very frustrating!

Skibum1970

Based on Cameron's history that is going to be like trying to hit a moving target.

Sounds like they are starting to drill for pilings. Looks like work really is starting to happen.

The inability to get regular photo updates is going to be very frustrating!

That was the great part about the DCA reboot. Westcoaster.net and other sites had regular updates with great photos from the large ferris wheel and walking around. Avatar will present a greater challenge.

doctornick

That was the great part about the DCA reboot. Westcoaster.net and other sites had regular updates with great photos from the large ferris wheel and walking around. Avatar will present a greater challenge.

There will still be photos from folks flying overhead, no? In fact, I thought that there was a discussion that people could fly somewhat lower over DAK and there might be even better/more detailed photos? Or did I misunderstand or misremember?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There will still be photos from folks flying overhead, no? In fact, I thought that there was a discussion that people could fly somewhat lower over DAK and there might be even better/more detailed photos? Or did I misunderstand or misremember?

Yes, we can still get aerials, but we don't tend to get those as often as ground photos.

Would someone be able to take pictures from Everest?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The target is 2017.

2017, Oh dear. Avatar kinda bores me since it has been an abstract concept attraction for so long already that I stopped paying attention to the delays and push off dates. When did it go from 2016 to 2017. Lordie.

Rob562

I think the best option for non-aerial photos, at least in the short-term, is to take photos from the resort buses as they arrive at AK. You can see the plot of land to your left as you approach. For now there's a grove of trees along the backstage road to hide some of the view, but eventually there should be construction visible to the side and/or taller than those trees.

It's not too out of the way for a local to park short-term at AKL, hop the bus for a round-trip to the park and back, snap a few photos along the way.

-Rob

Donald96

Any ideas on what this riverside building is in the FOTLK area?
image.jpg

Photo: orlandoparksnews.com

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom