AVATAR land construction progress

doctornick

The presentation wasn't really "detail oriented" it was more about the general conception of the land and how it will fit into the expanded "full day park" version of Animal Kingdom.

Were there details about any non-Avatar concept that might be added in order to expand it to a "full day park"? We know about the night time show and night safaris, but wonder if anything else is being considered

RunnerEd

The presentation wasn't really "detail oriented" it was more about the general conception of the land and how it will fit into the expanded "full day park" version of Animal Kingdom.

One thing he did say was that the floating mountains will provide shade for the entire land, so I'd say they'll be substantially taller than 30-40 feet.

You're correct about height. It also is a clue to the orientation of the land. To provide shade, the tallest parts would need to run from east-southeast to west-southwest. I'm sure some of the show buildings will provide shade with Avatar appropriate facades.

Did he mention anything other than Avatar? Specifically, will the brightness of the Yeti's strobe light be dimmed at night to adjust for darkness....

FettFan

So how are they going to reconcile certain plot points from the movie to fit with the park? For instance, the fact that Pandora's atmosphere is toxic to humans without an oxygen mask.

EDIT - and what about scale? Anything 200 foot tall or beyond is required to have lighting for airplanes. Hence the reason Cinderella Castle and ToT are only 199'.

NoChesterHester

Were there details about any non-Avatar concept that might be added in order to expand it to a "full day park"? We know about the night time show and night safaris, but wonder if anything else is being considered

They are just hoping the lines for the Blue Cat People restaurant rival the Be Our Guest waiting list. There always seems to be a couple hundred people inside and also waiting in line.

Or perhaps we will get Big Blue Cat People drinks to entertain us while we wait?

kap91

So how are they going to reconcile certain plot points from the movie to fit with the park? For instance, the fact that Pandora's atmosphere is toxic to humans without an oxygen mask.

EDIT - and what about scale? Anything 200 foot tall or beyond is required to have lighting for airplanes. Hence the reason Cinderella Castle and ToT are only 199'.

They'll probably just ignore that detail...it's impossible to walk from Africa to Asia in 5 minutes in real life (or cross the galaxy for that matter), only wizards are allowed in Hogsmeade, the world of Cars has no people yet carsland has human friendly doorways, buildings, vehicles, etc. It would follow in a long line of artistic license taken for theme parks. At best expect some sort of barely acknowledged backstory.

Well considering the shape of the floating mountains, it could be conceivable that red lights on the top center of the mountain wouldn't be visible from the ground as long as paths on the ground didn't venture too far away from the undersides. -And that gets truer the taller they go ---not that I actually expect them to be taller than 199'

DManRightHere

I hope/expect that's not the peak of the tallest structures. I think the floating mountains will need to be at least 100, probably closer to 200 feet to have any convincing scale.
disney-avatar2_verge_super_wide.jpg
As long as they use great illusion they can get away with much less. Close to 100' would probably work well. 200' is way up there. Plus that would require aircraft lights.

omurice

do we even have a rough layout of said land? lee should draw us a picture...and forge some NDAs.
There's a brief shot of the new land on the wall in this Disney Parks video

at about 46 seconds. This is the video with Cameron that was shown at the Japan D23 expo. (Still don't get why could not be announced at D23 USA but maybe P&R just wasn't ready)

Unfortunately... the brief images of the site plan are at an 85 degree angle to the camera so you can barely make it out, but you can discern shapes of the overall land and the pathways at least. The water near the top of the plan is probably river and the land at the top could be southwestern corner of Discovery Island. The pathways are a pinkish color. So everything south of that river might be the site plan for "Pandora-land". Of course would love to see this at a better angle.
There is another plan or map to the right but I cannot make out much on that, there are photos around it. Given the scale and shape of the blue water in the center, it might be a map of the entire DAK park, and surrounding photos could be sight lines from different points in the park.

dgp602

So, do build an expansion of this size must require a large construction company with large resources such as large construction vehicles, earth moving equipment, etc.. Does anyone have moles, spies, contacts in any large construction contractors in or near Orlando that might be involved in this project? I would think trucks, equipment will soon begin to stage somewhere close by if construction and demolition is to begin soon.....Calling all spies!!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So, do build an expansion of this size must require a large construction company with large resources such as large construction vehicles, earth moving equipment, etc.. Does anyone have moles, spies, contacts in any large construction contractors in or near Orlando that might be involved in this project? I would think trucks, equipment will soon begin to stage somewhere close by if construction and demolition is to begin soon.....Calling all spies!!

We would know construction was going to begin before equipment showed up on site because for a project like this a permit would have to be filed with the South Florida Water Management District which normally happens at least a couple months before work begins. These permits are public records so this would likely be our first indication that construction is on the way.

Atomicmickey

There's a brief shot of the new land on the wall in this Disney Parks video

at about 46 seconds. This is the video with Cameron that was shown at the Japan D23 expo. (Still don't get why could not be announced at D23 USA but maybe P&R just wasn't ready)

Unfortunately... the brief images of the site plan are at an 85 degree angle to the camera so you can barely make it out, but you can discern shapes of the overall land and the pathways at least. The water near the top of the plan is probably river and the land at the top could be southwestern corner of Discovery Island. The pathways are a pinkish color. So everything south of that river might be the site plan for "Pandora-land". Of course would love to see this at a better angle.
There is another plan or map to the right but I cannot make out much on that, there are photos around it. Given the scale and shape of the blue water in the center, it might be a map of the entire DAK park, and surrounding photos could be sight lines from different points in the park.

I did a bunch of video enhancements, this will answer some of your questions.

hpjn.jpg

5gin.jpg

gwgb.jpg

lgzl.jpg

7188.jpg

Unplugged

I did a bunch of video enhancements, this will answer some of your questions.

Great work on those enhancements! I'm able to get a decent feel for what their trying to lay out. Looks like the floating mountains will be on the South side of the park boarder. I'm curious what they'll do with the transportation facing side of the structure(s) for such tall work. I know the backside of EE is very utilitarian as not many views expose it. I'm hoping the at least top it off in 360 so it creates a wow factor.....though that costs money and they're most likely already maxing the budget in park-visible rock work and fiber-optics!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom