AVATAR land construction progress

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Does anyone know what this is?

C1lgDCQWgAI19zF.jpg:orig
\
C1lgDmRW8AAuEjy.jpg

Looking at the latest aerials you can see that both the poles are at the edges of the access hatches on the tops of the mountains. The tallest mountain also seems to have a hatch in the top, but looking at the earlier construction photos I don't see a way it would be internally accessible.

upload_2017-1-9_21-13-6.png

doctornick

ToT does not have aircraft avoidance lights as it is under 200'. I would imagine the same is true for the floating mountains as Disney actively designs to avoid having the add them.

To date, I think the only in park structure to ever have one was the wand at Epcot.

Off topic, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Star Wars buildings in DHS end up being that high since the aircraft lights wouldn't be out of place. Especially since DHD doesn't seem like it will be built downward (into the ground) as much as DL and thus might have to be taller to have the same overall appearance.

sedati

Looking at the latest aerials you can see that both the poles are at the edges of the access hatches on the tops of the mountains. The tallest mountain also seems to have a hatch in the top, but looking at the earlier construction photos I don't see a way it would be internally accessible.

View attachment 183858
I had been under the impression that it is something that might retract (if in fact visible from the ground) but that this might be something a maintenance worker would attach to for fall prevention if anything needed to be done on the mountain. I think there's something similar for when they pop out the top of Spaceship Earth.

sedati

These pictures are incredibly impressive! Thank you MikeyXtreme. Can't believe how well the fading effect works here to give the illusion of depth (mountains meant to be further away are rendered with less detail and a more bluish tone.) The best example of this is the floating mountain furthest to the right. Though actually attached to the mountain range behind it, by painting it darker it seems to stand far forward of those mountains. Also, there is a vine reaching all the way to the last two stand-alone mountains that were constructed (the base support for these must not be visible as you can see they are not going to be covered in any more vines- simply painted green.
Also, in the area in front of the main group of floating mountains there are several more alien plants added.
Really need to see this in person.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I said the same thing about Sci-Fi Diner at DHS. Imagine re-theming it so instead of cars, you are sitting in fighters or other vehicles from the movies? And the servers are all dressed in Star Wars costumes? And on the screen, Star Wars clips are shown???
God no. How about keeping it like it is and not diluting the park any more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom