AVATAR land construction progress

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is interesting considering we're talking about e tickets and ride time. TOT comes to mind, from the point that you actually sit in your seat the ride is about 3-4 minutes? But people consider it an e ticket at that length. I would dare say many people would add the queue as part of the attraction for that ride due to its high level of themeing. So does a queue increase the rides ticket level?
Without wishing to dig up the old ticket reference, designation is given for more than just ride time.

For the record, the simulator is classed an E. This boat ride a C. It displaced a D.

Designations given by those who designed them, not me.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's remarkable some people still don't understand that others know a lot more than they do.
Having being privied to some things, there is little question that Disney is not getting the most bang for their buck when they build attraction, but hasn't that always been the case?

I was always under the impression that Walt set up WDI and the relationship it had with the Disney Parks so that WDI was his money making machine. Granted, it seems like that has been turned up to 11 as of late, but has disney ever really gotten a good value from WDI?

ABQ

Having being privied to some things, there is little question that Disney is not getting the most bang for their buck when they build attraction, but hasn't that always been the case?

I was always under the impression that Walt set up WDI and the relationship it had with the Disney Parks so that WDI was his money making machine. Granted, it seems like that has been turned up to 11 as of late, but has disney ever really gotten a good value from WDI?
Would you say they probably had received real value, or at least return on investment from WDI when A-E ticket books were sold vs single carte blanche park admission? At least in ticket books, you knew what folks were paying for, WDI had to make a ride truly match the ticket's perceived value. While today, they could think...meh, they're already paying to get in anyway, who cares if it's C or D?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
but has disney ever really gotten a good value from WDI?
I would say yes. Or at the very least much better value than today.

Obviously there's exceptions - EPCOT Center's doubling of the original estimate (or was it under estimated to begin with ?) but take for example Orlandos Thundermountain. $17 mil in 1980. Anyway you look at it, it still comes in way lower than the Dwarfs Coaster.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Would you say they probably had received real value, or at least return on investment from WDI when A-E ticket books were sold vs single carte blanche park admission? At least in ticket books, you knew what folks were paying for, WDI had to make a ride truly match the ticket's perceived value. While today, they could think...meh, they're already paying to get in anyway, who cares if it's C or D?

Value is a very subjective term. If you define it as simply getting your money's worth or producing an ROI then WDI is still a value to this day. It might not be as much of a value as it was in decades past, but they are still turning out beautiful attractions that are clicking the turnstiles. If this is how you define real value, then the answer to your question would be yes.

If we define it as producing an identical product at a competitive price, which it where I fall, then WDI has not been a value in quite a while. If you have 2 identical cars and one sells for $50k and the other sells for $60k, that $60k is not suddenly $10k better. When it comes to WDI of today, I see a lot of Cadillacs being sold at Bentley prices.

twebber55

like most debates the truth and reality lie somewhere in the middle. The good ole days were never as good as we remember. I have no idea if Disney waste money more so today than in the past. Regardless of what the mouse didnt do from 2005-2012 thats in the past and hopefully the DAK, DHS, and EPCOT remodels live up to the highest expectations

mickey v-neck

Maybe because there's still plenty that needs fixing? Maybe because three of those things you listed aren't really all that compared to the other two? Maybe because even though one is a really nice outdoor mall, it's still just an outdoor mall? Maybe because one is just two carni level rides? Maybe because we haven't really seen that Disney is willing to put their all into something in WDW rather than taking the cheap/lazy route except for when certain people put their foot down (James Cameron and his infamous ego for Avatar, Bob and the BoD for SWE because even they know they can't screw that up)? Other than those two circumstances, it seems to always be "good enough." I really am thankful that these two expansions are happening. I just wish this sort of quality and attention to what can enhance a parks theme were the rule rather than the exception. Even DLR suffers with the hack job to ToT over there.

It must be truly awful to harbor such negativity. There has never been a more exciting time for the parks and some people will always just be bitter. How sad.

EPCOTCenterLover

It must be truly awful to harbor such negativity. There has never been a more exciting time for the parks and some people will always just be bitter. How sad.
Let me attempt to put this in another perspective for you. For those of us who vaguely remember (or remember!) the Disneyland expansion of 64-69 (Pirates and New Orleans Square, Its a Small World, New Tomorrowland and Haunted Mansion), the ambitious openings of WDW (1971), EPCOT Center (1982) or even the great WDW expansion of 1989 (Disney-MGM Studios, new resorts, Pleasure Island and Typhoon Lagoon), the way the company has handled the Stateside parks the last 15 years has been a huge disappointment. Particularly when all the excellent Imagineering and design has seemed to move overseas. Particularly Asia. Glad things seem to be changing, but a decade and a half of overall stagnancy is not ok for us fans who have seen better.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
New Fantasyland
Disney Springs
Pandora/Rivers of Light
Star Wars Experience
Toy Story Land

Yeah, "pretty solid" doesn't really begin to do it justice. Unfortunately, many on this site can't appreciate the unprecedented investment in the parks due to their bitterness and negativity. Sad.
Like I said, I'm a realist. I am pretty excited to see all this new stuff year after year, but there was a long period of not much added. I remember visiting WDW just a few years apart back in the 90s and having multiple new things to see. In recent history I had a few trips with 1 or no new things to see. Still great trips and a lot of fun, but there was a serious lack of investment in WDW.

I personally like FLE and I think if it happened between Star Wars and Avatar it would have been much better received. People are down on it for lack of a true e-ticket headliner and since it was the first major addition in a long time that disappointed people. I think if things went in a different order people would be less pessimistic about the additions that didn't have major headliners. Maybe something like this:
  1. Star Wars with 2 e tickets
  2. FLE
  3. Avatar with another e ticket
  4. Toy Story
  5. EPCOT with an e ticket replacing Energy and maybe some other additions
I do think some people here are just negative and would have found problems no matter what, but the masses would have looked at things in a more favorable light if the e-tickets were better spread out and earlier in the new wave of additions.

mikeh

new aerials from the site that cannot be named
trailers are gone and quite a bit of progress since wdwmagics aerials

EDIT: looks like the area under the mountains are now paved

i dont see how this isnt opened in 4/5 months

These new aerials are a great example of what I said earlier.

Well, yeah. Normally you have people up there who aren't photographers. It helps to know how to use a camera ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Unfortunately tbtb are viewing the incredible queue as part of the attraction. An unfortunate issue that they have been relying on way too much lately, in my opinion...

Thing is that people respond to it. Look how Peter Pan was rejuvenated and the wait line dramatically increased when they added an immersive and interactive queue. Look how you can take a kiddie coaster and add immersive theming to the ride and interactivity to the queue and get 7DMT with a two hour stand-by line.

I'm surprised WDW doesn't have a plan to convert all the queues to something immersive and interactive. It's a well-received way to refresh a ride and a lot cheaper than building a new ride.

Now, if they can only do that for the Soarin' queue in a way that actually works and is captivating...

Kman101

The Soarin' queue was rumored to have had been slated for a makeover as part of the addition of the third theater and switch to the new film, but clearly that didn't happen. Shame too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom