AVATAR land construction progress

flyerjab

jpinkc

Thats it we were thinking Mid May but might push back if it becomes clear the when!! We usually book our trips in December for the spring

BrianLo

Thats it we were thinking Mid May but might push back if it becomes clear the when!! We usually book our trips in December for the spring

I think my general advice would be - if you go annually, just go annually and don't sweat it, you'll see it next time. If you go infrequently or are planning the trip specifically for Pandora and really truly need to book way in advance, go for the Fall. If you are local, or are on a > annual visit basis, just go whenever the heck you want.

Either way, no one should be actively planning right now to see it this Spring, if that makes sense.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think my general advice would be - if you go annually, just go annually and don't sweat it, you'll see it next time. If you go infrequently or are planning the trip specifically for Pandora and really truly need to book way in advance, go for the Fall. If you are local, or are on a > annual visit basis, just go whenever the heck you want.

Either way, no one should be actively planning right now to see it this Spring, if that makes sense.

Excellent advice. It is always risky to plan a trip around an attraction that hasn't opened yet, see Rivers of Light.

rioriz

While I have a mound of respect for Martin, his is of one opinion and he has never been high on this project from the beginning.

Objectively, some could easily say they enjoy FoP and Pandora more than Diagon. Gringotts was a disappointment to me but overall good attraction and great if you include the entire queue experience. So there is definite wiggle room that with an equally impressive queue and several technological surprise elements FoP could beat out Gringotts in some minds.

BrianLo

While I have a mound of respect for Martin, his is of one opinion and he has never been high on this project from the beginning.

Objectively, some could easily say they enjoy FoP and Pandora more than Diagon. Gringotts was a disappointment to me but overall good attraction and great if you include the entire queue experience. So there is definite wiggle room that with an equally impressive queue and several technological surprise elements FoP could beat out Gringotts in some minds.

I should point out that @marni1971 's comment that was quoted was circa Feb 2014 (pre-opening)

We've come to realize that 'technically mind boggling' doesn't fully make up for core attraction design flaws. Gringott's really missed the mark on the basics, even if it's oozing money, has a cool ride vehicle and an industry defining queue.

flyerjab

Regarding comparison to Gringotts, no it will not be a super amazing ride system that will blow everyone away,but I personally believe it will do a better job of... Hiw do you say... Putting YOU in the action, not just on the sidelines.

PS: I think that Gringotts is amazing technologically, but other than that, not a huge fan.

I personally think that the Pandora expansion will blow the Harry Potter stuff out the door. But again, a lot of this comes down to appreciation of aesthetics and theme. There are people that will never like Pandora due to the subject matter and therefore will never give it a chance. There are those that don't like the subject matter but will be willing to try it and may or may not like it. Then of course there are people like me that cannot wait for this to debut. I have walked the streets of Diagon Alley and visited Hogsmeade via the Hogwart's Express and must admit that I fell in love with those parts of the UNI parks. Even at its best, though, I still think that Disney does theming better than UNI. Many parts of DAK, Sunset Blvd. in DHS and NFL I appreciate better than the Harry Potter sections in UNI. In terms of DAK, Africa and Asia are the best themed areas in all of Orlando. Again, just my opinion as I love the subject matter.

What is funny though is that I love the Gringotts ride. I actually seem to like it better than most of the posters in this thread. I would almost go on to say that I think that it is on par with the best WDW attractions - meaning the ride itself. We couldn't wait to get back on the ride after we exited.

And I also want to point out that I am a huge @marni1971 fan and have the utmost respect for him. For many people though this will come down to personal preference. There are some that will always like an omnimover ride heavy with animatronics over a screen-based attraction like Soarin'. Others will always choose BTMRR or SM (rollercoaster) over a dark ride like HM. For me, I always loved the visuals in the Avatar movie and thought that Cameron and his team designed a world that I would love to visit. This sounds like it will be exactly that very thing. And from what I have seen and what some are hinting at, this is going to be incredible!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom