AVATAR land construction progress

No Name

Hah... but seriously who's Craig?

I believe he is referring to Craig Russell, who is the Chief Design and Product Delivery Executive of Imagineering.

I honestly don't know much about him, but there's the full name if you want to look him up.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

If cranes are going away then they might not be very far away from an opening, Spring is possible. Outside landscape work, paving all that can be done quickly. With cranes leaving that would mean heavy objects are all in place.
Yeah, putting in all of the Bio-Luminescent greenery and walkways is going to be real quick and won't need any testing...

djkidkaz

The parks all need more stuff for people with little kids. I have a 2 year old who will ride all the dark rides, spinners and shorter style shows like a tiki room but only MK provides that. At DAK we can do triceratops spin, bugs life and he can run around the dig site. Safari is just too long and he gets antsy. Studios has TSMM and GMR. And Epcot has Living with the land, frozen, nemo and imagination. Epcots offerings just aren't quality or ideal for little kids. Sure you can ride living with the land but does a 2 year old care about hydroponics?

Goofyque'

The parks all need more stuff for people with little kids. I have a 2 year old who will ride all the dark rides, spinners and shorter style shows like a tiki room but only MK provides that. At DAK we can do triceratops spin, bugs life and he can run around the dig site. Safari is just too long and he gets antsy. Studios has TSMM and GMR. And Epcot has Living with the land, frozen, nemo and imagination. Epcots offerings just aren't quality or ideal for little kids. Sure you can ride living with the land but does a 2 year old care about hydroponics?

I don't disagree that more dark rides would be great, but any 2 year old can enjoy Living with the land. A boat ride? Yay! Being with family? Yay! All our kids and grandkids would ride it over and over again.

Ripken10

I don't disagree that more dark rides would be great, but any 2 year old can enjoy Living with the land. A boat ride? Yay! Being with family? Yay! All our kids and grandkids would ride it over and over again.
And most 2 year olds will enjoy meet and greets more than teenagers would.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah, putting in all of the Bio-Luminescent greenery and walkways is going to be real quick and won't need any testing...

Greenery, yes. Walkways... I'm not too sure. If they do the SFX where your footprints light up where you walk, that would be cool. But, can that tech handle a million steps it will get in one year? And if it can't, will WDW commit to fixing/replacing the walkways as needed?

I've always been disappointed that the light-up pavers in Epcot were just in a few scattered places. So, I'm not sure they can commit to a long term and large scale SFX if it is high maintenance.

vgersix

KIRK UNIT. YOU WILL ASSIST ME.
Hahahahaha sorry for the delayed reply, but YES. xD lol

Greenery, yes. Walkways... I'm not too sure. If they do the SFX where your footprints light up where you walk, that would be cool. But, can that tech handle a million steps it will get in one year? And if it can't, will WDW commit to fixing/replacing the walkways as needed?

I've always been disappointed that the light-up pavers in Epcot were just in a few scattered places. So, I'm not sure they can commit to a long term and large scale SFX if it is high maintenance.
Agree, I hope they'll be up to the task -- I've been disappointed by the ones in Epcot as well.

phi2134

This could be the very thing that could delay the opening of this land. A lot of detail will go into this.
At the same time, how much will people notice it's broken and will they just turn off if they have to? They could easily open the land without those elements in place...the questions is will they settle for that if it comes down to it?

WildcatDen

As I hear from boots on the ground, they could pretty much show full ride videos (sans some details) if they wanted. Most work is now on the outside with ride testing and configuration inside occurring.
That matches what I am hearing. That is why I am confused as to @WDW1974 saying this is delayed to a potential late Summer 2017 opening. Everything I am hearing is still pointing to a Spring 2017 open. That said, it may not be a 100% open of all parts of the new area. . .

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

Taking a child this young is more for you than the child. You'll have great pictures and memories. The child, not so much. Studies now suggest that infantile amnesia lasts for most kids until age 4. Specific, detailed recall may not be accurate until age 7. In cases with multiple children of varying or gapped ages I can understand how you wouldn't want to limit a family vacation. But that's not really what you're talking about in your post, so.......

There are many attractions that I have no interest in. I get dragged on them anyway. In certain circumstances, they are even forced upon you in the form of an unwanted fastpass. You are right in saying that MK is the park you find the most "little kid" friendly rides. This complaint is not new. I will counter by saying, it's always been that way. Even before the other 2 parks, MK was for kids and families and Epcot Center was for older children and adults. DHS joined in as "the Studios" park and slowly added attractions for teens and adults. Finally we added in AK and it's lovely DinoLand area of misery.

Compared to it's older brother in Anaheim, WDW is just flat out lacking attractions. I haven't actually counted in a while, but last time I did DLR had 1 or 2 more total attractions than all 4 of the WDW parks. So you got more for less at DLR. (The attraction count may be different now but not by very much.) You are just not getting enough at the 2 "newer" parks. I would say you only get the same bang for the buck in MK, but that is opinion.

I do know that there "seems" to be more for all ages at DLR's 2 parks.

*1023*

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
That matches what I am hearing. That is why I am confused as to @WDW1974 saying this is delayed to a potential late Summer 2017 opening. Everything I am hearing is still pointing to a Spring 2017 open. That said, it may not be a 100% open of all parts of the new area. . .

Last 2 conversations I had were Spring. Testing and installs are currently going on inside. I'll know more in 2 weeks.

*1023*

HauntedMansionFLA

Taking a child this young is more for you than the child. You'll have great pictures and memories. The child, not so much. Studies now suggest that infantile amnesia lasts for most kids until age 4. Specific, detailed recall may not be accurate until age 7. In cases with multiple children of varying or gapped ages I can understand how you wouldn't want to limit a family vacation. But that's not really what you're talking about in your post, so.......

There are many attractions that I have no interest in. I get dragged on them anyway. In certain circumstances, they are even forced upon you in the form of an unwanted fastpass. You are right in saying that MK is the park you find the most "little kid" friendly rides. This complaint is not new. I will counter by saying, it's always been that way. Even before the other 2 parks, MK was for kids and families and Epcot Center was for older children and adults. DHS joined in as "the Studios" park and slowly added attractions for teens and adults. Finally we added in AK and it's lovely DinoLand area of misery.

Compared to it's older brother in Anaheim, WDW is just flat out lacking attractions. I haven't actually counted in a while, but last time I did DLR had 1 or 2 more total attractions than all 4 of the WDW parks. So you got more for less at DLR. (The attraction count may be different now but not by very much.) You are just not getting enough at the 2 "newer" parks. I would say you only get the same bang for the buck in MK, but that is opinion.

I do know that there "seems" to be more for all ages at DLR's 2 parks.

*1023*
Plus, DL will be adding Star Wars Land and a Frozen ride to its list. Plus, you can walk to either park instead of being bussed around.

A foolish mortal

Skjermbilde 2016-11-09 kl. 20.22.54.png
Skjermbilde 2016-11-09 kl. 20.23.09.png
Skjermbilde 2016-11-09 kl. 20.23.14.png
Skjermbilde 2016-11-09 kl. 20.23.18.png
Skjermbilde 2016-11-09 kl. 20.22.49.png
Skjermbilde 2016-11-09 kl. 20.23.00.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom