AVATAR land construction progress

MrHappy

Cheap and generic have nothing to do with age-group.

Fantasyland is for small children / families / grandmas (like you say), and it's an extremely rich and well-themed land
Not that I agree with it, but it seems they like to have a carni-land in each park. MK has storybook, AK has dinoland, now HS has TSL. EP has, ummm, park benches.

Incomudro

Cheap and generic have nothing to do with age-group.

Fantasyland is for small children / families / grandmas (like you say), and it's an extremely rich and well-themed land
Is it?
Has it always been?
There has always been a mix of the underwhelming in Fantasyland, and WDW in general.
This obsession with everything needing to be over the top immersive is ridiculous.
TSL will be, and is intended primarily for the little ones.

Last edited:

KingOfEpicocity

Honestly when I look at how TSL, I am really only concerned about the capacity it'll add to the park. Yes I'll agree that quality is over quantity in many cases, (particularly in theme parks) but in the end we're getting A. a family coaster, (which really only MK has) and an upgraded spinner which, again, DHS doesn't have. It helps add variety to the park. MK is the most popular park in part because of it's large variety of experiences. And if you ask me, I think DHS currently does not have a Bad or underwhelming attraction. It just doesn't have enough! So adding two OKAY rides next to SWL wouldn't be huge.

rioriz

If that is the case, a Spring 2017 opening date has got to be what they are going for... right? Or just wishful thinking? Opening this before Volcano Bay would seem to be a great way to steal some thunder from Universal (not that Disney has to do that or anything)...

I have always thought Summer(June) but would not put it past April if things continue at a pace they are going now. I however to be safe on This and Uni's offers have scheduled my visit in the Fall

Mike S

Is it?
Has it always been?
There has always been a mix of the underwhelming in Fantasyland, and WDW in general.
This obsession with everything needing to be over the top immersive is ridiculous.
And yet both rides will have a height limit. You know what doesn't have that limit? Fantasyland style dark rides. I'm thinking the superior Disneyland version too, not WDW.

WDWFanDave

IMG_1485.JPG
That's a very good sign. I assume it's the one closest to the entrance since most of the work that would need a crane in that area is complete.
It is!

Timothy_Q

Is it?
Has it always been?

So you say having an obsession with quality is ridiculous. Then you call WDW underwhelming.

Maybe if WDW was more "obsessed" with quality, it wouldn't be so underwhelming.

And you think Small World, Peter Pan, Pooh, Little Mermaid and the Mine Train are on the same level as the two carnival rides at TSL?
That's some delusion right there.

RSoxNo1

Based on what and who, this is not a good thing. The remaining clarion voices for the quality "we" desire will be few, despite their stature. We have some great, visually stunning work being done, but it lacks in overall substance. Avatar's area will be a decent balance. Toy Story, a waste. SWL will be dramatically different in terms of anything that has ever been done in a theme park (attractions, immersion.) SWL will be a slightly stepped up version of Avatar.

Joe will be fine. His timing will be his own. Craig, not so much. Expect more quality in the next 10 years, but a healthy dose of value engineering.

No specific to the question of "change". More often than not, having institutional memory is the key to future success. Just take off the dead wood.

*1023*
Craig?

Goofyernmost

So you say having an obsession with quality is ridiculous. Then you call WDW underwhelming.

Maybe if WDW was more "obsessed" with quality, it wouldn't be so underwhelming.

And you think Small World, Peter Pan, Pooh, Little Mermaid and the Mine Train are on the same level as the two carnival rides at TSL?
That's some delusion right there.
Not to be overly critical, but, really, where have you gotten the idea that WDW is underwhelming? Are you talking about yourself and projecting that onto everyone else. Could it be that you have been too often and are bored with it? Could it be that the majority of first time visitors (along with 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc.) still find it overwhelming? Is it possible that you feel that Disney has to comply with the needs of the few obsessed fans that go over and over and over and wonder why it isn't new anymore? Time to close your eyes for a moment and take a huge breath of reality and understand that most people do not go as often as we do or have done. We don't see it the same way or are so filled with the place that all we have to do to keep ourselves amused is find the flaws. That same flaws that were there for years that we didn't notice because it was new to us and we were overwhelmed with the place.

WDWbuff2001

Not to be overly critical, but, really, where have you gotten the idea that WDW is underwhelming? Are you talking about yourself and projecting that onto everyone else. Could it be that you have been too often and are bored with it? Could it be that the majority of first time visitors (along with 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc.) still find it overwhelming? Is it possible that you feel that Disney has to comply with the needs of the few obsessed fans that go over and over and over and wonder why it isn't new anymore? Time to close your eyes for a moment and take a huge breath of reality and understand that most people do not go as often as we do or have done. We don't see it the same way or are so filled with the place that all we have to do to keep ourselves amused is find the flaws. That same flaws that were there for years that we didn't notice because it was new to us and we were overwhelmed with the place.
THANK-YOU

WDWbuff2001

FINALLY SOMEONE SMART I would've wrote something but I would end up cursing lol

Cesar R M

I dont know, the first time I tried to manage MY Magic, the fp+s and all the tricks and techniques that people recommended me to "have a good time" and prevent me from getting my wallet destroyed.. was definitively overhelming ;)

Goofyernmost

I dont know, the first time I tried to manage MY Magic, the fp+s and all the tricks and techniques that people recommended me to "have a good time" and prevent me from getting my wallet destroyed.. was definitively overhelming ;)
Yup, and I'll bet you didn't have time to notice if there was a paint chipped anywhere did you? We all tend to over-complicate our lives by demanding to much out of it.

Timothy_Q

I'm literally quoting someone else that used the word "underwhelming" to describe WDW. If you read my post carefully.

But if you think EPCOT and DHS are great the way they are, you either have really low standards or you're blinded by the Disney pixie dust.
Both parks have been falling apart for the past 20 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom