AVATAR land construction progress

Incomudro

I'm trying so hard to get into Harry Potter for my family but I can't. I'm sure the park is fun, but it looks boring to me. My kids, well the older ones, may enjoy it. It may be worth it. My wife has already started asking about it. Just can't seem to take that plunge.

We went to Uni this past May (in addition to WDW) the first time for our family, my twin son's are 14.
They didn't care for Uni too much.
The Potter areas are very well done, but they're no Potter fans - so they weren't really into it.
As for the rides - Potter and otherwise - they didn't work for them (or my wife and I) much either, with the exception of The Mummy.
The Potter rides moved you from scene to scene to view movie clips; "C'mon!" "This way!" "You made it!"

Incomudro

So, you may ask - why do I think my son's will enjoy Pandora (when they have zero interest in the movie) when Potter didn't work for them?
The sense of wonder.
The Potter areas are really cool if you are into the films, because they faithfully recreate what you've seen.
But if you don't know the movies, or don't care to - it's hard to relate to them.
Pandora, being a natural looking land located in AK will have that sense of wonder...
Where you are looking for what's hidden, what's "alive."
Plus the scale of it.
Walking into the land and under the mountains, and looking up at them is going to be a new experience.
It hasn't been done before.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
So, you may ask - why do I think my son's will enjoy Pandora (when they have zero interest in the movie) when Potter didn't work for them?
The sense of wonder.
The Potter areas are really cool if you are into the films, because they faithfully recreate what you've seen.
But if you don't know the movies, or don't care to - it's hard to relate to them.
Pandora, being a natural looking land located in AK will have that sense of wonder...
Where you are looking for what's hidden, what's "alive."
Plus the scale of it.
Walking into the land and under the mountains, and looking up at them is going to be a new experience.
It hasn't been done before.
That's what I am afraid of. I'm not into the movies and though the older kids are, it isn't like they are overly into it. Disney engulfs with everything. I can't say the other does. Pandora looks to be it. We complain about IP at Disney but at Univeral that's all there is. We're going to give it a try one day, but nobody here is pushing for it. My son wants to go to LegoLand though.

AustinDisneyFan

If Avatar land goes the way of Tower of Terror and changes to a Guardians of the Galaxy theme, that floating island looks remarkably like Groot's head.

standard_incredible.jpg

Incomudro

That's what I am afraid of. I'm not into the movies and though the older kids are, it isn't like they are overly into it. Disney engulfs with everything. I can't say the other does. Pandora looks to be it. We complain about IP at Disney but at Univeral that's all there is. We're going to give it a try one day, but nobody here is pushing for it. My son wants to go to LegoLand though.

I liked Potter better than the rest of my family did.
I don't know the movies at all, but I certainly enjoyed the attention to detail.
The problem if you will, was that since I didn't know what I was looking at - there was no - "There's such and such..."
The rides left us underwhelmed. I'm not hard to please, I like to immerse myself in the moment and enjoy what the ride is intending to do.
But, I think the build up let me down by a predictable experience.

brb1006

A few points to make having been to DAK today. Pandora needs to be incredible as I spent 2 days of this vacation here:
View attachment 165485
We were so taken by the Harry Potter lands, and the promise of a fantastic water park to come - that my wife and I bought UNI annual passes!! And I must say that Gringotts was EXCEPTIONAL!! We went on it several times. I am not a big thrill ride person, but this ride provided mild thrills but with so much more. It was a unique experience that my wife and I loved.

I am now a UNI fan for their new attractions. To be completely transparent though, I found most of USF to be not that great. We enjoyed IOA much more. That being said, WDW is still head and shoulders better to me (for many reasons). But they need something new, and they need it to be big. When I look at Pandora I believe it will be. I don't think that it can compete with Potter's popularity, but I think that the theming and rides can. Time will tell. Believe me though, when you see Pandora growing in front of your eyes, it is hard to believe.
Ahem

CrescentLake

Disneyland in California smashes elements from other lands together constantly, it is far from seamless, and this has even been praised by designers as part of the park's charm. Stand by Pirates, you can see Adventureland, New Orleans Square, Frontierland, and Critter Country.

....okay? Never been to Disneyland. I didn't say I had a problem seeing Frontierland or Liberty Square from Fantasyland. I, however, have a huge problem seeing a big, grey, mechanical show building. Totally breaks immersion.

CrescentLake

f5dmpe.jpg

Was it bad show when you could see everything from the Skyway? It's a bit of a double edged sword. I know, we're not talking rides of the past in this thread, but seeing a portion of a building wasn't a problem back in the good old days.

I am not sure why everyone is jumping down my throat or branding me as someone who is from or nostalgic for the good old days. I'm 24. I wasn't even close to around then. All I'm saying is that, when you are standing, on the ground, on a pathway in a park, I should not be able to see even a bit of a show building. If I'm on the TTA, Splash Mountain, or a ride like that...it's a bit more understandable, but still not ideal. Otherwise, what's the point of theming and immersion?

Mike S

:grumpy:

Wish I could take you on PoTC: Battle for the Sunken Treasure to show you how omnimax screens and set integration should be done.

Our forthcoming Pandoran boat ride perhaps.
Even within the same park I think Transformers does screen integration better and in the park next door the trifecta of Spider-Man, Kong, and Forbidden Journey.

Pirates just looks like a whole other level and hopefully Na'vi River Journey does give us a small taste of that. After that it'll be the Star Wars Battle ride if it's still as amazing as initially rumored when it's completed.

doctornick

Wish I could take you on PoTC: Battle for the Sunken Treasure to show you how omnimax screens and set integration should be done.

I feel like Forbidden Journey and Spider-Man are much better examples of integrating video and motion than Gringotts. Gringotts to me has too much time where it feels like you are just passively watching a movie scene occur.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom