AVATAR land construction progress

OldBlueEyes

2016-08-27 Safari Mike.jpg

This looks to me like it's been taken from AK's busstop-area. If You look closely at latest areal-video from "the site-that-can't-be-named", You can see that they have removed a lot of the trees between the busstop and AVATAR:
NJL.JPG

And as this new pic (first big one) is taken some days later, maybe even more trees have come down. Anyone knows why?
OBE

danlb_2000

Premium Member
View attachment 157752
This looks to me like it's been taken from AK's busstop-area. If You look closely at latest areal-video from "the site-that-can't-be-named", You can see that they have removed a lot of the trees between the busstop and AVATAR:
View attachment 157751
And as this new pic (first big one) is taken some days later, maybe even more trees have come down. Anyone knows why?
OBE

Maybe they are putting in a new CM entrance there directly into the lot behind the land.

twebber55

I took a closer look, and there are 2 distinct features in the new pic: The left crane and the small "float" on the corner of building:
View attachment 157753
Compared to the aerial, it's in this area:
View attachment 157754
That means a lot of trees have been chopped!
OBE
thanks OBE
i was about to ask him if he took it on the service road but the removal of those trees would make since

No Name

I don't care how long it takes them to build something.

If they start in 2011 and finish in 2017, or if they start in 2015 and finish in 2017, what difference does it make?

Disney could've waited even longer to add something to DAK. The park does well now, and by all signs, would've continued to do well without Avatar Land. So I'm just grateful that this is being built and excited for its completion next year.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

If they start in 2011 and finish in 2017, or if they start in 2015 and finish in 2017, what difference does it make?

Disney could've waited even longer to add something to DAK. The park does well now, and by all signs, would've continued to do well without Avatar Land. So I'm just grateful that this is being built and excited for its completion next year.

It's not a big deal when it's not a disruption to the rest of the park like Avatar, but it is an issue if it's replacing something, or has a big impact on the park itself. DHS eliminated a couple attractions for SWL and TSL, so every day it takes to build them is a day the park has to operate below it's original capacity.

bhg469

It's not a big deal when it's not a disruption to the rest of the park like Avatar, but it is an issue if it's replacing something, or has a big impact on the park itself. DHS eliminated a couple attractions for SWL and TSL, so every day it takes to build them is a day the park has to operate below it's original capacity.
Plus avatar is well out of the way of where people are used to walking and looking around. DHS is going to have ugly sightlines for a long time.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

That's great. I ,however, do care how long the construction timetable is. It has a direct impact on park capacity and in the case of DAK, operating hours. Of course, the real issue of the construction timeline is that it's absurdly long. As mentioned before, this is done strictly for financial reporting. While that may not be an issue for you, many are not thrilled with this slow pace.

You only have to look at the Vikings stadium demolition and construction to realize how slow Disney as at these things when compared to Disney Springs or anything else they've built recently. Even on a re-theme, its crazy long. (Maelstrom closed OCT 5th 2014 and Frozen opened June 26th 2016). In fact, Disney built another theme park in China from April 2011 until its opening this year June 16th. A whole park vs one land. No sense of urgency. Again, as I mentioned, it's because there is no financial incentive to build faster (not yet, but attendance may change their minds). People still go for stale attractions and abandoned concepts.

This is very true and very well said. The next time you go to the park (DHS), really count the rides (or "attractions" if you prefer) you experience. Then add up the money you spent on food, transportation, admission and lodging for that day. For fun, divide that number by your number of experiences. Was DHS worth your money. Probably not. For the money, MK is probably the best choice despite it's very weak food offerings.

Beyond any of that, progress for this land is just slow. It's slow by design. It is just limiting this parks potential and keeping MK busier than it has to be. Adding attractions and capacity by doing so, relieves the other parks on property. Not refreshing or renewing drives visitors elsewhere. Well... it's starting to anyway.... When the bottom line starts to take a hit, it will reveal the missed opportunities for growth.

*1023*

Mike S

That's great. I ,however, do care how long the construction timetable is. It has a direct impact on park capacity and in the case of DAK, operating hours. Of course, the real issue of the construction timeline is that it's absurdly long. As mentioned before, this is done strictly for financial reporting. While that may not be an issue for you, many are not thrilled with this slow pace.

You only have to look at the Vikings stadium demolition and construction to realize how slow Disney as at these things when compared to Disney Springs or anything else they've built recently. Even on a re-theme, its crazy long. (Maelstrom closed OCT 5th 2014 and Frozen opened June 26th 2016). In fact, Disney built another theme park in China from April 2011 until its opening this year June 16th. A whole park vs one land. No sense of urgency. Again, as I mentioned, it's because there is no financial incentive to build faster (not yet, but attendance may change their minds). People still go for stale attractions and abandoned concepts.

This is very true and very well said. The next time you go to the park (DHS), really count the rides (or "attractions" if you prefer) you experience. Then add up the money you spent on food, transportation, admission and lodging for that day. For fun, divide that number by your number of experiences. Was DHS worth your money. Probably not. For the money, MK is probably the best choice despite it's very weak food offerings.

Beyond any of that, progress for this land is just slow. It's slow by design. It is just limiting this parks potential and keeping MK busier than it has to be. Adding attractions and capacity by doing so, relieves the other parks on property. Not refreshing or renewing drives visitors elsewhere. Well... it's starting to anyway.... When the bottom line starts to take a hit, it will reveal the missed opportunities for growth.

*1023*
For years the stagnation at the parks has only lead to driving more and more people to MK. This monster is their own creation and there's still no urgency in dealing with the problem head on. They need new blood with their next CEO. 2018 can't come fast enough.

KingOfEpicocity

I never found the argument that it had an impact on the parks capacity to be a huge problem. Yes it's lower than it used to be. But between LMA and backlot, and the area itself... There wasn't much back there, and I would venture to say they weren't running near capacity. So yes it's a loss, but I don't think it's a dramatic one. Our biggest loss is being able to walk from muppets over to TSMM

TyTrap

Can anyone give me a scoop on if any construction is taking place inside of the show buildings? I feel it would expedite the construction process and get the testing started.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom