AVATAR land construction progress

articos

I believe there were weight issues also, there appeared to be ground stabilization work going on during site prep.
The stabilization work was to support the floating mountain structures which are heavy and require specialized footings, but that is a minority of the land's footprint. The rest of the buildings, attractions and environment aren't anything excessive. The length of time to prep the area was because the show environment is essentially a second floor. There is a lot of infrastructure underneath.

articos

Which was a feat of engineering in every building.
I was just going to say, the Epcot project was one of the largest construction projects undertaken - it was absolutely huge. They got site prep, new waterways and lakes, new tunnels and back of house, all of FW, including all custom buildings with never before undertaken engineering and technologies --- SSE? the team had an idea how to build that, but it was a guessing game that it would work. Universe of Energy had to have a perfectly level floor with a guide wire embedded at the exact depth (which kept breaking during construction) - even CommuniCore was something that didn't use standard construction techniques --- all of FW, plus all of World Showcase, which entailed new buildings and then facades on top of the buildings, then attraction installs, plus new monorail beams, plus a new station, plus new parking lots and roads...and on and on...and they accomplished that in the amount of time it takes to usually build one new land or sometimes single attraction now. You and I know why it takes so long, but have to give credit to the original teams who did what they did.

Edit: Not to mention they kept getting construction equipment and trucks stuck in the muck as they built.

Last edited:

KingOfEpicocity

I was just going to say, the Epcot project was one of the largest construction projects undertaken - it was absolutely huge. They got site prep, new waterways and lakes, new tunnels and back of house, all of FW, including all custom buildings with never before undertaken engineering and technologies --- SSE? the team had an idea how to build that, but it was a guessing game that it would work. Universe of Energy had to have a perfectly level floor with a guide wire embedded at the exact depth (which kept breaking during construction) - even CommuniCore was something that didn't use standard construction techniques --- all of FW, plus all of World Showcase, which entailed new buildings and then facades on top of the buildings, then attraction installs, plus new monorail beams, plus a new station, plus new parking lots and roads...and on and on...and they accomplished that in the amount of time it takes to usually build one new land or sometimes single attraction now. I know why it takes so long, but have to give credit to the original teams who did what they did.

They guys who built Epcot were just extraordinary. I can't believe they got what they got done in only 3 years. Like Martin said, every building was a new challenge. But times change... I think it's unfair to complain about long construction times at Disney unless you know the full story of WHY it's taking so long. In the end, just give us a good land.

Next Big Thing

Frozen actually opened on the 21st and SDMT opened on May 28th. Other than that you're good :)

I'm still dumbfounded by how long that third track took :facepalm:
To me, I see things like the third track and the bathrooms taking so long because they weren't in any urgent rush to get it done. There was no need to go faster from Disney's perspective. Would I have liked to see it have gone faster? Absolutely. Nobody was beating down the door asking for a Tangled bathroom and they got the 3rd track open when it was needed imo (when everything else closed). It's just typical Disney in that they were spreading costs out over quarters.

KingOfEpicocity

Not to get off topic but I think Disney is really booking it with SWL. They realize they need to get it out. will it be fast as uni? Prob not, but given what were getting, I don't expect it to be. But they DO have a good reason to hurry on that one.

mvieguy

Booking it in DL maybe, but doesn't appear that way in DHS.

In retrospect. with the exception of the old Sky Way Chalet. there is a lot more to displace and knock down in FL. then in CA. for SWL.
plus SWL in Anaheim seems to be the "mold" they are testing first. FL also has TSL and SLW taking up a lot of current real estate

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why do you think that is? I'm not saying it's fast or not but again we don't know what all is in there that they have to do and get rid of. If there was only backstage I would agree with you
I think it only makes sense for people to be skeptical of the pace of construction at WDW today based on recent projects. We are probably more sensitive to timing because there has been a pattern of projects taking way too long. In reality it's still possible or even likely that the 2 Star Wars Lands open less than a year apart but the initial work makes it seem like DL is way ahead.

Demo work and clearing the ground is unique to each park but once they start building the ride elements I am assuming they will just make 2 of everything so the 2 projects will be on a similar pace.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Pace of construction under the current management structure is directly related to financial reporting. There are no real physical or logistical reasons to draw out projects otherwise. Several members here have construction and engineering backgrounds and have commented that Disney's construction pace is SLOW. Disney management sees no advantage in hurrying this pace as it does/has not influenced attendance yet.

*1023*

sedati

As far as Epcot Center construction, please give "Building a Better Mouse," a read. If some of the shenanigans depicted in that book are no longer going on at the cost of time, then I have no problem with it.
If Disneyland took one year to build and Epcot three, then by that trend a park should be taking over nine years to build now.

doctornick

They honestly aren't going that much faster out there. All work is still for ROA/DLRR. The land is cleared and they aren't really rushing to get anything done with SWL.

I'm somewhat curious if they are still finalizing/modifying aspects of the plans that need to be worked out before going vertical.

brb1006

Cq4kHAsXYAA-U1I.jpg

TalkingHead

I'm somewhat curious if they are still finalizing/modifying aspects of the plans that need to be worked out before going vertical.

That would explain why there isn't a SWL preview center. Or another way to put it is if they have finalized the plans, there absolutely should be a preview center in the park -- and it should've opened six months ago!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom