AVATAR land construction progress

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, July 15. I haven't seen any photos in this thread since late June. Here's a view of Avatar land from the Animal Kingdom entrance gate. The faux vegetation blends in so well with the natural vegetation.

In other areas of the park, no changes since the previously posted late June video, so no new still photos are posted here.

IMG_8140.JPG

Rteetz

Photo update as of Friday, July 15. I haven't seen any photos in this thread since late June. Here's a view of Avatar land from the Animal Kingdom entrance gate. The faux vegetation blends in so well with the natural vegetation.

In other areas of the park, no changes since the previously posted late June video, so no new still photos are posted here.

View attachment 151430
Looks great! Nice to see scaffolding coming down on that end.

Phantom Mickey

People are going to go nuts over this land. The details of this so far has me excited. I hope the follow through goes well.

When we saw the movie AVATAR we were kind of blown away at how they preceived how PANDORA and its plants would look. We actually bought the DVD and watched it several times and kept finding new stuff that we missed the first however many times we watched it.
What I am thinking, if it opens on time, and from what we are hearing and seeing during construction, is that this park or more to the point, AVATAR LAND, is going to be packed. The initial DRAW should be outragously high... Maybe I am just over reacting but look at the FROZEN ride, and somehow I just don't think FROZEN compares in the way that AVATAR is going to bring people in. I know Disney used to be really great at moving people, Frozen not exactly a stellar example, so I hope DIZZY is making room for those numbers. I am also hoping for some good food at the restaurants in AVATAR LAND, since as it is with the food at AK now, I usually eat off property.

Phantom Mickey

Best guess at this point is probably late Spring or early Summer next year.

I had read the same times. But I also read that Cameron has been causing some delays (unknown if true or false) due to intellectual discrepancies in the design. He wants it perfect and as I recall, he caused delays in the movies as well for the same reasons.
Best guess if all moves ahead, it will be on time, fingers crossed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
When we saw the movie AVATAR we were kind of blown away at how they preceived how PANDORA and its plants would look. We actually bought the DVD and watched it several times and kept finding new stuff that we missed the first however many times we watched it.
What I am thinking, if it opens on time, and from what we are hearing and seeing during construction, is that this park or more to the point, AVATAR LAND, is going to be packed. The initial DRAW should be outragously high... Maybe I am just over reacting but look at the FROZEN ride, and somehow I just don't think FROZEN compares in the way that AVATAR is going to bring people in. I know Disney used to be really great at moving people, Frozen not exactly a stellar example, so I hope DIZZY is making room for those numbers. I am also hoping for some good food at the restaurants in AVATAR LAND, since as it is with the food at AK now, I usually eat off property.

Frozen has had MUCH more sustained popularity then Avatar. Personally I think the execution of the land will be the draw once people see what has been done, but I don't thing the IP will draw nearly as much as Forzen in the first few months.

I had read the same times. But I also read that Cameron has been causing some delays (unknown if true or false) due to intellectual discrepancies in the design. He wants it perfect and as I recall, he caused delays in the movies as well for the same reasons.
Best guess if all moves ahead, it will be on time, fingers crossed.

I would think they would be well beyond those design disagreements at this point.

twebber55

Frozen has had MUCH more sustained popularity then Avatar. Personally I think the execution of the land will be the draw once people see what has been done, but I don't thing the IP will draw nearly as much as Forzen in the first few months.

I would think they would be well beyond those design disagreements at this point.
how do you define popularity?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
how do you define popularity?

How ever you like. My point is that I don't think you are going to have kids begging their parents to take them to Avatarland, and I don't see a lot of adults flocking to this just because of the IP. I personally enjoyed Avatar, saw it twice in the theaters, bought the Blueray and watching it once. A lot of people saw it but I don't feel it has maintained a long term popularity.

Stripes

Premium Member
How ever you like. My point is that I don't think you are going to have kids begging their parents to take them to Avatarland, and I don't see a lot of adults flocking to this just because of the IP. I personally enjoyed Avatar, saw it twice in the theaters, bought the Blueray and watching it once. A lot of people saw it but I don't feel it has maintained a long term popularity.
Agree. However, this land appears to have a really good chance of standing for itself. Add in a huge marketing campaign and I think you would see a lot of kids pleading with their parents

KikoKea

I agree. I just don't see a large Avatar following- nothing remotely close to Star Wars or Star Trek. However, it will be a beautiful land and it will be crowded because it is finally something new at AK (sorry, I don't count the nightly water show).

We will have moved to Orlando by the time this opens, so will certainly go by one evening after a week or two, and I truly hope to be amazed. I'm still puzzled as to how it fits in with AK's theme, though- seems like an odd fit.

sspritexx

Probably has been said many times before, but may bear repeating: "The purpose of the Animal Kingdom is to present (1) animals that are, (2) animals that were [dinosaurs, etc.], and animals that never were [Pandora]". Not an exact quote, but that was the essence of the Mission Statement, as I recall it. So it seems to me that Avatar land is a perfect fit for this park.

KikoKea

Probably has been said many times before, but may bear repeating: "The purpose of the Animal Kingdom is to present (1) animals that are, (2) animals that were [dinosaurs, etc.], and animals that never were [Pandora]". Not an exact quote, but that was the essence of the Mission Statement, as I recall it. So it seems to me that Avatar land is a perfect fit for this park.
Wow- that pretty much covers all bases. You could fit anything in that mission statement!

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Totally agree. It's going to be huge. I am pretty sure that the movie was pushed back to coincide with the land opening up.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Totally agree. It's going to be huge. I am pretty sure that the movie was pushed back to coincide with the land opening up.

The land is supposed to open sometime next year, but the movie has been pushed into 2018, so it's actually getting further away from the opening of the land. I really don't think here is any deliberate attempt to get the two things to coincide. Delays on James Cameron moives are a pretty normal thing.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
The land is supposed to open sometime next year, but the movie has been pushed into 2018, so it's actually getting further away from the opening of the land. I really don't think here is any deliberate attempt to get the two things to coincide. Delays on James Cameron moives are a pretty normal thing.
My bad. I thought I saw it was pushed to 2017 from 2016.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom