AVATAR land construction progress

Joe Couture

Hello,

I don't get why Disney is investing so much ****ing money on Avatar.

The movie was popular but so what?

Why not invest in refurbishing so much more needed areas? (EPCOT, Resorts and the like....)

I just don't get it.

KingOfEpicocity

Hello,

Why not invest in refurbishing so much more needed areas? (EPCOT, Resorts and the like....)

I just don't get it.

1.DAK needs a new land/attraction.
2. It's Disneys response to Potter.
3. When they made splash mountain into a ride, did everyone get mad because the movie it was based on was unpopular and old? If you ask me, I think it's more so they can use the setting. We can all agree, even if the movie was bad, that Pandora is beautiful. And seeing that in a theme park is an amazing opportunity! It's less about the movie and it's characters, and more about Pandora and the navi. It would be a shame to see just one Dark ride in an avatar mini-land. But instead they decided to go for a huge highly themed land. At least that's how I see it.

Mike730

Hello,

I just don't get it.
Hello Joe. It's not that we don't agree, it's just that we've heard here it a million times before. If you'd like to beat a dead horse, feel free to click the link below and vent your frustration with over 270 pages of other folks doing the same thing. Among those pages you may find answers to help put you at ease.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/avatar-land-coming-to-disneys-animal-kingdom.803695/

brb1006

Hello,

I just don't get it.
Once Avatartland along with Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land is complete, then hopefully Epcot and the other resorts might get a major refurbishment.

Flippin'Flounder

1.DAK needs a new land/attraction.
2. It's Disneys response to Potter.
3. When they made splash mountain into a ride, did everyone get mad because the movie it was based on was unpopular and old? If you ask me, I think it's more so they can use the setting. We can all agree, even if the movie was bad, that Pandora is beautiful. And seeing that in a theme park is an amazing opportunity! It's less about the movie and it's characters, and more about Pandora and the navi. It would be a shame to see just one Dark ride in an avatar mini-land. But instead they decided to go for a huge highly themed land. At least that's how I see it.
And yes Mr. Joe, number 2 is true... 7 years later...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Also the fact that nothing was designed yet at the time of the announcement.
This is the real reason. The actual construction time will be on par with most recent Disney projects. The issue is that they partnered with a 3rd party so they announced the project way before they were ready to start. Normally the announcement of a project happens around the time ground is broken after most of the design is complete. There could still be an argument made that Disney takes way longer than Universal and that most likely has to do with spreading capex out and pacing construction. It also has to do with how elaborate the design is. For example Tramsformers was built in something like 18 months but it's show building is basically a rectangular warehouse. Mine Train took 3 years to build but has elaborate rock work. Disney spends a lot of time on design features, especially rock work.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This is the real reason. The actual construction time will be on par with most recent Disney projects. The issue is that they partnered with a 3rd party so they announced the project way before they were ready to start. Normally the announcement of a project happens around the time ground is broken after most of the design is complete. There could still be an argument made that Disney takes way longer than Universal and that most likely has to do with spreading capex out and pacing construction. It also has to do with how elaborate the design is. For example Tramsformers was built in something like 18 months but it's show building is basically a rectangular warehouse. Mine Train took 3 years to build but has elaborate rock work. Disney spends a lot of time on design features, especially rock work.

The actual construction time is going to be on the high end of all the recent Orlando Disney and Universal projects. Assuming a 4/1/2017 opening (which is just a guess) it will have taken 40 months of actual construction. The only thing I have recorded as taking longer is Mission Space at 43 months.

And in the interest of presenting accurate numbers, Transformers took around 12 months, and the Mine Ride 31 months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom