AVATAR land construction progress

Flippin'Flounder

This is meant as a question to get information from people who know. I don't "get" all of the back and forth over the semantics of "C-ticket" or "D-ticket". I know the origins, and like many who went to WDW in the early days I had numerous ticket books in a drawer that were full of unused "A" Tickets (how many times can one ride the carousel or MS transportation?) and no "E" tickets. You "knew" that the "E" ticket rides were the "best" rides and it went down from there. But now, to the park-goer, this distinction is mostly immaterial; they seem to be little more than a subjective evaluation of how "good' a ride is. Various guide books use terms like "Headliner" and "Super-Headliner", or "Not to be Missed" - but these, too, are the subjective opinions of the authors. But it's obvious that Disney has still retained the old A-E ticket terminology internally in their design and construction processes. Is there an objective metric that defines into which category a certain ride falls? Is it the projected cost? Is it length? Is it complexity of the ride system? Is it the number of AAs? Is it how popular a ride is (or is expected to be)? Does Disney have an "official list" that assigns a "ticket value" to each attraction? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is why is this distinction so important?
I've been wondering the same thing. People label 7DMT as a D-Ticket, but obviously it would actually be an E-Ticket if the books still existed.

rioriz

This is meant as a question to get information from people who know. I don't "get" all of the back and forth over the semantics of "C-ticket" or "D-ticket". I know the origins, and like many who went to WDW in the early days I had numerous ticket books in a drawer that were full of unused "A" Tickets (how many times can one ride the carousel or MS transportation?) and no "E" tickets. You "knew" that the "E" ticket rides were the "best" rides and it went down from there. But now, to the park-goer, this distinction is mostly immaterial; they seem to be little more than a subjective evaluation of how "good' a ride is. Various guide books use terms like "Headliner" and "Super-Headliner", or "Not to be Missed" - but these, too, are the subjective opinions of the authors. But it's obvious that Disney has still retained the old A-E ticket terminology internally in their design and construction processes. Is there an objective metric that defines into which category a certain ride falls? Is it the projected cost? Is it length? Is it complexity of the ride system? Is it the number of AAs? Is it how popular a ride is (or is expected to be)? Does Disney have an "official list" that assigns a "ticket value" to each attraction? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is why is this distinction so important?

I hope someone responds to you in PM because this debate has gone full circle and then some...

Disneyhead'71

I've been wondering the same thing. People label 7DMT as a D-Ticket, but obviously it would actually be an E-Ticket if the books still existed.
There seems to be a great deal of confusion over what an E Ticket is. At this point, Disney fans are so crazily obsessed with the Disney Brand, they think the 7DMT is an E Ticket. BoG is an E Ticket. The Tangled Toilet is an E Ticket!!!!! Every flipping thing Disney builds is an E Ticket! The Main Street bypass is an E Ticket!!!!!!

Last edited:

twebber55

There seems to be a great deal of confusion over what an E Ticket is. At this point, Disney fans are so crazily obsessed with the Disney Brand, they think the 7DMT is an E Ticket. BoG is an E Ticket. The Tangled Toilet is an E Ticket!!!!! Every flipping thing Disney builds is an E Ticket! The Main Street bypass is an E Ticket!!!!!!
Who on this board has called mine train an E ticket?

RandySavage

Ticket terminology is used industry-wide among designers to denote basic scale & scope. It makes communication easier. What is what should be fairly common sense. It is all the things you note: cost, length, size, tech, etc.. There are no official specific guidelines or metrics, but scope is generally understood. Change over time also has an affect on unofficial ticket designation (i.e., when AAs were first introduced things like Tiki Room might have higher designation than today). Plus, numerous attractions ride the line between ticket levels.

It is supposed to correlate with popularity but does not always. Therefore the disassociation from the Ticket-book days (which were based on demand/popularity) and the endless confused, fruitless and pointless banter on the internet about the ticket-level of an attraction. E.g. Ellen's Energy Adventure is now an unpopular E-ticket based on scale & scope, while Peter Pan is very popular C-ticket in scope. If ticket books still existed these allocations might be reversed, based on demand.

Marketing is another group that often mis-uses E-ticket for hype purposes, e.g., calling Mermaid an E in d23 magazine.

An easy way to designate is to think of some things related, but bigger and smaller in scope (only). If Big Thunder is an E and Barnstormer is a C, what does that make Dwarfs Mine Train?

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Ticket terminology is used industry-wide among designers to denote basic scale & scope. It makes communication easier. What is what should be fairly common sense. It is all the things you note: cost, length, size, tech, etc.. There are no official specific guidelines or metrics, but scope is generally understood. Change in cost/popularity/tech over time also has an affect on unofficial ticket designation.

It is supposed to correlate with popularity but does not always. Therefore the disassociation from the Ticket-book days (which were based on demand/popularity) and the endless confused, fruitless and pointless banter on the internet about the ticket-level of an attraction. E.g. Ellen's Energy Adventure is now an unpopular E-ticket based on scale & scope, while Peter Pan is is very popular C-ticket in scope. If ticket books still existed these allocations might be reversed, based on demand.

Marketing is another group that often mis-uses E-ticket for hype purposes, e.g., calling Mermaid an E in d23 magazine.
Bravo!

Someone who gets it!

Ripken10

I personally think Disney does this stuff to mess with people. They don't really care, except it makes great conversation in the lunch room "you see the post last night...they are doing it again. Let's call it a C ticket tomorrow and see how they squirm"

doctornick

I might have an explanation for that. I was told that the two attractions will intertwine. Boats visible from FoP and vice versa. Also, the way it was described it's not just the queue. So if that is the case then both addresses could be pointing to the same building.

I don't really see how the ride area for FoP could see into NRJ just based on the configuration, unless two (or three) of the theaters miss out on that aspect. Only one of the theaters is directly linked to where NRJ is. It's more likely IMHO that the queue for FoP is linked to some portion of the ride for NRJ (which would make sense since the queue is directly over the show building for the boat ride).

Soarin' Over Pgh

*whines*

I JUST WANT CONCEPT ART.

And maybe some new aerials. It'd make this day a lot better.

On slightly unrelated yet related news, the glowing floors were developed in Pittsburgh by Carnegie Mellon University students and partnered with the Disney branch here (there's apparently a Disney tech research facility in this city). I have friends who work at CMU... I'm inquiring to see if there's anything to be learned there. If I find out anything I'll share. :)

twebber55

*whines*

I JUST WANT CONCEPT ART.

And maybe some new aerials. It'd make this day a lot better.

On slightly unrelated yet related news, the glowing floors were developed in Pittsburgh by Carnegie Mellon University students and partnered with the Disney branch here (there's apparently a Disney tech research facility in this city). I have friends who work at CMU... I'm inquiring to see if there's anything to be learned there. If I find out anything I'll share. :)
Carnegie Mellon is not cheap!
their graduates make a ton of money after graduation

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom