AVATAR land construction progress

Wikkler

Yea my fears are the same thinking these newer and more sophisticated AA's wont be able to operate at their highest capability for hours on end. I'm sure this came up in discussion at WDI. They could just run them on a B-Mode if worst comes to worst.
giphy.gif

It'll attract the rubes just like your porch light attracts moths!

UpAllNight

i think this is a big plus for this project
2 companies working together to produce and incredible land
thats why when you see AAs like this there will be a lot of "this is the best work Disney has done" type quotes

This is what is confusing me at the moment on here.

I've read much (some deserved) criticism about how Disney aren't innovating anymore, yet this expansion, along with the technology involved in Rivers of Light, the use and expansion of projection mapping and like it or not, the added interactivity throughout the parks is generally ignored.

This project has always captured my imagination due to the artwork, and the tidbits of information released. What's more is that Disney look like they are delivering a fully fledged, unique and innovative expansion, yet some people aren't hyped for this. It baffles me.

Mike S

This is what is confusing me at the moment on here.

I've read much (some deserved) criticism about how Disney aren't innovating anymore, yet this expansion, along with the technology involved in Rivers of Light, the use and expansion of projection mapping and like it or not, the added interactivity throughout the parks is generally ignored.

This project has always captured my imagination due to the artwork, and the tidbits of information released. What's more is that Disney look like they are delivering a fully fledged, unique and innovative expansion, yet some people aren't hyped for this. It baffles me.
All of what you said is true but I'd bet my bottom dollar that all the amazingness of Pandora will be more due to James Cameron's demands than Disney. Like J.K. Rowling and Universal. Disney still has many problems with how they function, just look at Toy Story Land. Already cheap and cut even further.

UpAllNight

All of what you said is true but I'd bet my bottom dollar that all the amazingness of Pandora will be more due to James Cameron's demands than Disney. Like J.K. Rowling and Universal. Disney still has many problems with how they function, just look at Toy Story Land. Already cheap and cut even further.

My annoyance with Toy Story Land will depend on the full picture. If a strong phase 3 is built, along with enhancements to tired shows and attractions, then Toy Story will just be an additional bonus rather than an annoying what if. I still, possibly naively, hold hopes for a phase 3.

No Name

If the navi image at the end of the video is an animatronic WOW

Oh I believe it's real. I mean, the last thing the video says is "It's real."

But it does look too good to be a real audio-animatronic, and that's what makes it so amazing! The fact that people are questioning it, including me, is a huge testament to how entirely real that looks. Even just the tiny clip of a quarter of the face that we saw.

I also like how everything sounded and especially liked the detail of the military stuff it appears will be coming. Presumably a part of the restaurant? Maybe a queue? Anyway, looks great.

In all seriousness it looked pretty amazing; there's more movement just in that 1/4 of the face than there are in entire figures on Pirates or CoP.
I remember reading a quote from James Cameron that the navi animatronics would have over 40 actuators in the face alone (I believe he specifically said more in the face than in the body of the next most sophisticated one). This would appear to lend credence to that claim. It's hard to believe how good that looked - but I don't see why else they would have given that clip (otherwise meaningless) such a prominent place at the end of the presentation as a "teaser". Very excited for this project and it looks every bit as amazing as I initially thought it would be.

Yes, there is more movement in 1/4 of the face than in the whole body of many other animatronics. And I don't know where the number 40 came from, but I like 64 a whole lot more. Read this, from James Cameron some time ago (probably what you're referring to):

"The animatronics for the Na'vi characters are gonna be fantastic. For example, their early animatronics would use 12 axis of motion and I think the most they've ever done was 32 axis recently. I think they're up to 64 just in the face of the Na'vi characters. So it's gonna be remarkable. They really see it as a major, major attraction."

I've always been excited by that, but I could never truly visualize how massive that is until watching those few seconds, and I still can't visualize it. The Na'vi (or hey, maybe multiple, from what it sounds like) sound like they will be the most advanced audio-animatronics ever created, and that is exciting. Really, really is, whether you like Avatar or not. I don't see how this project can be less than exciting to anyone on here.

Wikkler

Oh I believe it's real. I mean, the last thing the video says is "It's real."

But it does look too good to be a real audio-animatronic, and that's what makes it so amazing! The fact that people are questioning it, including me, is a huge testament to how entirely real that looks. Even just the tiny clip of a quarter of the face that we saw.

I also like how everything sounded and especially liked the detail of the military stuff it appears will be coming. Presumably a part of the restaurant? Maybe a queue? Anyway, looks great.

Yes, there is more movement in 1/4 of the face than in the whole body of many other animatronics. And I don't know where the number 40 came from, but I like 64 a whole lot more. Read this, from James Cameron some time ago (probably what you're referring to):

"The animatronics for the Na'vi characters are gonna be fantastic. For example, their early animatronics would use 12 axis of motion and I think the most they've ever done was 32 axis recently. I think they're up to 64 just in the face of the Na'vi characters. So it's gonna be remarkable. They really see it as a major, major attraction."

I've always been excited by that, but I could never truly visualize how massive that is until watching those few seconds, and I still can't visualize it. The Na'vi (or hey, maybe multiple, from what it sounds like) sound like they will be the most advanced audio-animatronics ever created, and that is exciting. Really, really is, whether you like Avatar or not. I don't see how this project can be less than exciting to anyone on here.
Just wait 5-8 years and it will be like the Sigourney Weaver AA met Bizzarro Superman.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Fwiw Avatar is on FX for those in the US. Started 9:00 pm est

I'm watching it till Bill Maher is on at 10. (Edit) Aaaaaand we're on mute. My Pandora One is picking better background noise than the movie. It is pretty, though...
I've never seen it.
I'm sure it won't be necessary to enjoy the area.

I've also never seen: BatB, TLM, The Original Pooh movie, Jungle Book, Snow White, Cinderella (until the recent live action version), Sleeping Beauty, half the movies in the GMR, or Song of the South; and that has never stopped me from enjoying any of the related attractions.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I've never seen it.

I've also never seen: BatB, TLM, The Original Pooh movie, Jungle Book, Snow White, Cinderella (until the recent live action version), Sleeping Beauty, half the movies in the GMR, or Song of the South; and that has never stopped me from enjoying any of the related attractions.

I don't see any reason why anyone should watch the movie. In fact I think you're better off because people really suck in that therein flick. It's embarrassing.

Personally I enjoyed it on mute, with my own soundtrack playing. Most of it. The spoiler alert blowing up the spoiler alerts was upsetting. I don't like to see nature destroyed. Even if it's all faux :)

twebber55

I've never seen it.

one of the ways to assess a land is for all people ,even those who havent seen said IP, to enjoy the land
Carsland does this as well as HP

Mike S

I've never seen it.

Damn....... You have some catching to do lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom