AVATAR land construction progress

FerretAfros

During the Marathon on Sunday, we went past some texture sample walls on the north side of the park. The pictures aren't great, since they were taken on the move with a sweaty camera, but it's better than nothing. This first photo is especially terrible, but the large piece on the left is clearly a sample of the rockwork that they're doing for the floating mountains:
P1140303.JPG

The wall samples in this photo may or may not be for Avatar; it's tough to tell exactly what they are. However, what really caught my eye (even if it doesn't show up especially well in the photo) is the faux tree branch connected to the steel framework in the center of the photo. A series of navy blue strings/wires were hanging from its branches like willow tree, and those held a bunch of opaque white teardrop-shaped nodes. They were about the size of the end of your thumb, spaced roughly 5" apart on the strands. I assume this is some sort of test for the glowing plants, since the nodes appeared similar to LED enclosures I've seen in toys and in permanent installations like the Freemont Street Experience in Vegas and on Mickey's Fun Wheel in DCA

Since it was left outside with the other construction samples, it seems like this will probably be a part of the outdoor areas, rather than within one of the attractions. I suppose there's also a chance that it's something that will be incorporated into Rivers of Light, but the styling of it seemed to match what I'm expecting for Avatar
P1140304.JPG

These photos were taken looking north along Savannah Circle, between Bear Island Rd and Conservation Way. I double checked against my photos from last year, and none of these items were in place then; they also don't appear on Google Earth's most recent image of that area, dated 2/18/2015. The wall sections in the parking spaces (running perpendicular to the camera in these photos) show up in older images, so they're likely leftovers from previous construction in the park

RayTheFirefly

During the Marathon on Sunday, we went past some texture sample walls on the north side of the park. The pictures aren't great, since they were taken on the move with a sweaty camera, but it's better than nothing. This first photo is especially terrible, but the large piece on the left is clearly a sample of the rockwork that they're doing for the floating mountains:
View attachment 126261

The wall samples in this photo may or may not be for Avatar; it's tough to tell exactly what they are. However, what really caught my eye (even if it doesn't show up especially well in the photo) is the faux tree branch connected to the steel framework in the center of the photo. A series of navy blue strings/wires were hanging from its branches like willow tree, and those held a bunch of opaque white teardrop-shaped nodes. They were about the size of the end of your thumb, spaced roughly 5" apart on the strands. I assume this is some sort of test for the glowing plants, since the nodes appeared similar to LED enclosures I've seen in toys and in permanent installations like the Freemont Street Experience in Vegas and on Mickey's Fun Wheel in DCA

Since it was left outside with the other construction samples, it seems like this will probably be a part of the outdoor areas, rather than within one of the attractions. I suppose there's also a chance that it's something that will be incorporated into Rivers of Light, but the styling of it seemed to match what I'm expecting for Avatar
View attachment 126262

These photos were taken looking north along Savannah Circle, between Bear Island Rd and Conservation Way. I double checked against my photos from last year, and none of these items were in place then; they also don't appear on Google Earth's most recent image of that area, dated 2/18/2015. The wall sections in the parking spaces (running perpendicular to the camera in these photos) show up in older images, so they're likely leftovers from previous construction in the park
What you're describing in the second photo certainly sounds a lot like the Tree of Souls from Avatar.
00002m2ts_snapshot_012213_201006-1.jpg

HauntedMansionFLA

What you're describing in the second photo certainly sounds a lot like the Tree of Souls from Avatar.
00002m2ts_snapshot_012213_201006-1.jpg
Avatar was on he other night and I forgot how beautiful the movie was and the possibilities for the land. When it get lite up at night will be truely magical that land with be. Just think, your a little kid and you walk into an area like the picture above. Also, it will be interesting to see if there are New Years offerings at the park. Now here's hoping Disney releases new photos.

dreamscometrue

Which I hear they are on track to double. Maybe this is part of the reason Vaughn gets to spend more time with his family?
Doubling sounds crazy, but how much does a large scale, 3 year, construction project typically go over budget? I have no idea, but I'm sure there are people on these boards who have experience with that sort of thing. I'm curious as to how Pandora being over budget compares.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom