AVATAR land construction progress

ToTBellHop

Yes and no.

While I don't work on projects of this magnitude, I do regularly work on very large, very complex projects. When it they are all put together it can melt your brain. However, every brain melting project is really just a combination of hundreds to thousands of little simple challenges that add up to a massive build.

The analogy I use is you do projects like this the same you eat an entire elephant....one bite at a time.
The minds that organize each of the imbedded projects in something of this scale and scope Are incredible. Something like we have coming to DHS is even more complex since some of the new spaces replace existing guest areas in a functioning park. At least for AVATAR, they have the blessing of working with a blank canvas far away from guests.

flyerjab

Ok…well…I am simply starting to run out of words to describe this. I suppose one could always fall back onto the idea of this is what happens when the creative minds of Cameron and Rohde collide.

The question I have is regarding the concrete wall in back of the floating mountains. In fact, there are a lot of concrete walls of differing heights all through that area. What are they eventually going to become? Is that the base of more concrete rock work that has yet to be started? Is that a part of the boat ride? Very uncertain of that entire area.

ToTBellHop

I'm going to assume the area is not going to be flat. Would that area be part of the queue, so it would need to look and feel as if you're climbing the mountains.
It will be interesting to see how they manage that landscape while still being accessible to 1000-lb. ECVs (with their passengers). Pandora was never so accessible!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The minds that organize each of the imbedded projects in something of this scale and scope Are incredible. Something like we have coming to DHS is even more complex since some of the new spaces replace existing guest areas in a functioning park. At least for AVATAR, they have the blessing of working with a blank canvas far away from guests.
That they are.

twebber55

img_6809-cropped-jpg.118841

so this faux vegetation is not a free standing floating mtn but really the rock they put up over the weekend

twebber55

I wonder if the floating piece centered here will use waterfalls to hide its support and attachment to the ground, similar to the floating tap idea. The other side of the support structure (not pictured here, but visible from the overhead) uses vines.

Very impressive structures.
i can just about guarantee it will have a water fall....now whether or not it covers the rock i dont know, my guess would be no
but great question none the less

Incomudro

Just think this is one small piece of what the mountains will end up looking like. This is going to be one the most imersive projects ever done. These mountains themselves are an attraction.

That's for sure.

This is amazing.
Just building the Pandora Land alone, judging by these images - would be stunning enough.
With the boat ride, and Flights of Passage this land is beyond comparison.

Last edited:

flyerjab

Going to add this link here.

http://disneyatwork.com/2015/11/the-engineering-awe-of-avatar/

It is from another site that I visit that focuses on construction projects (mostly) at WDW. What is interesting to note is that, although not very long, the blog mentions flooding and incidents of ringworm, as well as a crane that toppled over...all during the course of this mammoth project. I had not heard of any of this before so I figured I would add this link. Amazing that the crane toppled over and did not damage anything or any one.

Last edited:

bjm72385

Ok…well…I am simply starting to run out of words to describe this. I suppose one could always fall back onto the idea of this is what happens when the creative minds of Cameron and Rohde collide.

The question I have is regarding the concrete wall in back of the floating mountains. In fact, there are a lot of concrete walls of differing heights all through that area. What are they eventually going to become? Is that the base of more concrete rock work that has yet to be started? Is that a part of the boat ride? Very uncertain of that entire area.
If I remember reading correctly on here a while back, when you walk under the floating mountains, you will either go left or right to each ride. To the left is obviously the entrance to the boat ride on the ground level following that retaining wall and entering behind that mountain at the bottom left of the pic that seems to be by itself. But to the right you will go up a winding sidewalk that will go up to the second level (top of the retaining walls) where you will enter the building for FoP. I can't remember if this was just someone speculating or if it was someone with insider knowledge, and don't have time to go back to find the post. I do remember comparing what was being described to the pictures of the model from D23 and it seemed to all make sense.

Atomicmickey

Sorta crazy to see all the different levels, and up and down on the ground. This from the
same company that flattened out the bridge to Adventureland. I'd like to see the ground
rolling and uneven, but accessibility will probably prevent that. Still don't know how they
are going to get people to go up multiple levels of stairs to get to Flight of Passage . . .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom