AVATAR land construction progress

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This just discovered from the new nearmap images -

They're keeping the CMM bathrooms.
View attachment 107099

It does look like it is in the model just in front and to the right of the large building with the rounded roof. Keeping it around would also allow them to use it as restroom for the construction crews.
DSC00671.jpg

doctornick

Isn't reusing the bathrooms kind of a no brainer as long as they fit into the layout of the land? You already have all the plumbing and facilities set up. Yes, you'd need to decorate it appropriately, but that would happen if they build new. I would expect an additional set of bathrooms somewhere in the land to handle the additional crowds that it will see compared to CMM, but re-using what is there for one set makes sense.

matt9112

Yay! Thanks so much for posting this and for highlighting what's what because I would have never guessed. Anyway, everything is coming together so nicely.

OMG, this is so beautiful. I would say yes, this is the best up close picture that I have seen. I couldn't see any people or the bridges in the other photo -- this one is very nice.

I truly hope you are right. My estimates are based on my personal observations of Disney.

I have painstakingly watched Disney take over two years to construct *one* exceptionally themed kiddie coaster/dark ride hybrid from May 2012 to May 28, 2014 (which is technically June) -- again, two years for *one* coaster.

Now, suddenly -- I am supposed to believe that Disney is going to move at the speed of light? I wish.

Fanstasyland was announced in 2009 and took five years to complete in phased openings. However, with the exception of Belle's Enchanted Tales, 7DMT, Casey's Splash area and the restaurants -- half of the attractions were duplicates and/or reimagined. Dumbo was a duplicate spinner with light and water feature, Goofy's coaster was rethemed, and The Little Mermaid was a clone with a super detail exterior and queue, etc. But this took *five* years to complete. The Empire State Building took less than 3 years to build way back in 1931.

And, I'm not going to touch the time line for Avatarland, lol. I find my estimate to be more realistic at three years from today, so we'll see.

Oh and I totally agree with you! I love watching Pandora come to life, it's so exciting.

I hope I am wrong too. I don't find three years to be that outlandish where Disney is concerned. LOL.

Yes, I totally agree! Almost everyone dismissed Carsland while it was under construction and.touted the New Fantasyland as being the superior project of the two and now they're requesting Carsland at WDW. LOL.

I don't want carsland. I want WDW t return to being the jewel of all the property's. There are many Disneyland's only one disneyworld why on earth they have let it slip is sad.

Siren

i also think there are some clues with what will will see
stay on marked trails
listen to the forrest
do not feed wild animals
LOL. I don't know what any of these clues mean.

One thing that is funny to me is how many other bloggers/podcasters out there that are reviewing/commenting on the D23 Pandora presentation don't even realize that the Marshall Lamm character is actually played by Avatar producer Jon Landau.
LOL. That is too funny. It seems like everyone is having fun on this project.

I don't want carsland. I want WDW t return to being the jewel of all the property's. There are many Disneyland's only one disneyworld why on earth they have let it slip is sad.
I totally agree with you. And, I don't want a Carsland either. And, I really don't want a cloned Star Wars land from Disneyland. I am very concerned about that, but we'll see.

twebber55

LOL. I don't know what any of these clues mean.

LOL. That is too funny. It seems like everyone is having fun on this project.

I totally agree with you. And, I don't want a Carsland either. And, I really don't want a cloned Star Wars land from Disneyland. I am very concerned about that, but we'll see.
at the bottom of the page there is a number and it reads 19982017DAK
so thats a clue that disney still plans on opening in 2017 that and what @BrianLo pointed out in terms of where cars land was at this point leads me to believe this will be a March 2017 opening

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
Not gonna lie, I may be a little nervous walking under those BA floating rocks the first time. I would love to see a documentary on the engineering involved to support those like that. Does anyone know who the architect/engineer is on this project? Or does Imagineering do all the engineering as well?
Most structures like this, that aren't considered ride systems, are at least to some extent contracted out to independent consulting firms that specialize in these type of themed structures. They're designed by licensed engineers and architects, just like any other building or other structure. There are a number of firms in Orlando and around the country that do this type of work, but I haven't been able to find any info on who has worked on this project. Typically, the imagineers (who, frankly, are mostly artistic types) develop the concept, and then allow the consultants to design the "nuts and bolts" under a supervision and review process. The Architecture and Facilities Engineering department (which is responsible for inspecting and maintaining all of these structures) also plays a part in the review process.

I would be very surprised if we don't see some kind of behind the scenes engineering analysis of these structures - similar to what was done for Spaceship Earth and TOL - at some point down the road.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom