AVATAR land construction progress

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The artistic rock work usually goes up very fast. I remember the speed at which it was going up at New Fantasyland. I think it moves so quick because they have to spray the cement and then sculpt it before it dries.

The artistic park of the rockwork for Be Our Guest took about a year.

gorillaball

Unfortunately, Avatarland was overshadowed by the Star Wars land announcement. James Cameron is more of a can do person, he doesn't like to blow a bunch of hot air with no substance -- he simply allows his work to speak for itself and his unrivaled track record demonstrates this. So, I am comforted by the quiet low key approach, this is more his style.

The LA Times reported that Disney is essentially terrified by Harry Potter at Universal California, and that is the *only* reason they made the Star Wars land announcement the primary focus of D23, at the expense of Avatarland -- it was all strategic and had nothing to do with demand from Star Wars fans.

Also, the LA Times stated that construction will begin for Star Wars land at Disneyland in *California* sometime in 2017. Disney did not provide a timeline at all for DHS, which is far more troubling for me -- more so than anything concerning Avatarland.

Disney seems to have a methodical approach to construction projects, where they tend to execute the smaller projects first and leaving the bigger and best project(s) for last -- it just makes sense.

I predict that Disney will start construction for Toy Story Playland first sometime in 2018 -- once Toy Story Play land opens then Disney will begin construction for Star Wars land in 2019 or 2020 and the land will open in 2022 or 2023. IMO.

I sure hope you are very wrong on the timeline for DHS. TSL first sometime in 2018 seems jaw dropping considering what is already closed and that TSMM 3rd track already under construction.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
I really like the movie but was first skeptical of this section but this is setting up to be an incredibly themed area. It looks amazing!

BrianLo

top485322LARGE.jpg

Radiator Springs Racers 19.5 months out from opening, we are now 20.5 out from May 2017 (which is why you'll have a tough time convincing me Pandora has slipped to 2018).

The youtube comments are hilarious circa 2010. 'No one really likes Cars, this doesn't fit with the theme of the park, the movie is a flop, no one is going to want to visit, this is going to be majorly delayed' etc.

Nothing changes on the internet, years of angst and ultimately all is forgiven if the product is deemed worthy.

dstrawn9889

I sure hope you are very wrong on the timeline for DHS. TSL first sometime in 2018 seems jaw dropping considering what is already closed and that TSMM 3rd track already under construction.
there are structures to demolish, land that has to be regraded, utilities laid, foundations to pour and strengthen(cure) then construction of principal buildings, assembly of ride systems, themeing... what makes you think 3 years is a jaw-dropping amount of time? this isnt a waffle house or a mcdonalds going in...

captainmoch

there are structures to demolish, land that has to be regraded, utilities laid, foundations to pour and strengthen(cure) then construction of principal buildings, assembly of ride systems, themeing... what makes you think 3 years is a jaw-dropping amount of time? this isnt a waffle house or a mcdonalds going in...
Mostly because of how Diagon Alley made an e-ticket, d-ticket, and an extremely detailed well themed area in 2.5 years. Toy Story Land is much more basic theming, a flat ride, and a smaller scale family coaster.

gorillaball

Siren said START in 2018, not finish

Marlins1

True but I think we are all pretty sure that it will start before then. I'm expecting a 2015 start. Hoping for a 2017 finish but I'm sure they will want some spacing between this and Pandora. I think one of the two will slip to 2018.

RSoxNo1

Joe also mentioned caves to explore as well
im thinking they purposely kept a lot of details out to slowly leak things to the public..still got about a year and a half before opening
The Parks and Resorts presentation was just enough information about projects without revealing too much. There's a lot more they could say about announced and un-announced projects. The reality is, they had to announce Star Wars and something to do with Pixar, if they didn't people would be infuriated. Now, people are legitimately excited about the future and there's still stuff that hasn't been announced. They didn't want to announce the next 7 years all at once.

Siren

Finally making sense.

20070749953_cb91414363_o.jpg

Green - Banshee Ride Entrance (Standby/fastpass plus, pick your poison)
Purple - Ride Exit
Blue - Access to the Boat ride

Red - I wanted to highlight this retaining wall. It delineates a fairly big difference in grade, especially the closer you get to entering the Soarin' building.

The upper level of the 'boat ride' building is going to be the Soarin' queue and pre-show area. The bottom is where the boat ride is. Hence why the two are so hard to see on the independently on the model.

In actuality you have to go all the way around the retaining wall I've highlighted in red to reach the upper levels of the Banshee entrance or all the way back down to the boat ride. The rides are quite literally in part on top of each other, but on foot they will feel like quite a hike away and two separate "sections". You have to go "up" the mountains to reach the Banshee's after all.

I think the 'third attraction' will be an animal/nature walking trail that some were mistakingly calling the Banshee queue on the model.
Yay! Thanks so much for posting this and for highlighting what's what because I would have never guessed. Anyway, everything is coming together so nicely.

No need for hoping. Here's the difference in grade from the ground, I've highlighted both levels in red. We also know the queue is above the boat ride from those long-long ago leaked plans.

Boat ride dead ahead, Soarin' on level two on the far right of the image.

20071209773_e755bfd6c5_o.jpg

Here you can see the difference in the levels in green most easily by the water level on the two different floors.

20683130892_0ece3d1145_o.jpg

Really wish someone had a telephoto zoom on that D23 model, they really hide the meat and potatoes in the far back of the exhibit.

Edit: Follow the guests uphill in purple. I spy a Soarin' ride entrance with that group on the left. Is this the best quality photos of the model that were taken?
OMG, this is so beautiful. I would say yes, this is the best up close picture that I have seen. I couldn't see any people or the bridges in the other photo -- this one is very nice.

Have to disagree on the timing for the DHS redo. I suspect we will see construction start on TSL soon, hopefully after the new fiscal year begins, and SW to begin around 2017 in Orlando as well. Sounds like there's more to be announced for DHS, MK and EPCOT. I believe Disney will want those projects wrapped up by 2021 to avoid major construction at WDW during the 50th.

But, back to Pandora, wow! These updated construction photos certainly help me better appreciate what is required to make the vision a reality.
I truly hope you are right. My estimates are based on my personal observations of Disney.

I have painstakingly watched Disney take over two years to construct *one* exceptionally themed kiddie coaster/dark ride hybrid from May 2012 to May 28, 2014 (which is technically June) -- again, two years for *one* coaster.

Now, suddenly -- I am supposed to believe that Disney is going to move at the speed of light? I wish.

Fanstasyland was announced in 2009 and took five years to complete in phased openings. However, with the exception of Belle's Enchanted Tales, 7DMT, Casey's Splash area and the restaurants -- half of the attractions were duplicates and/or reimagined. Dumbo was a duplicate spinner with light and water feature, Goofy's coaster was rethemed, and The Little Mermaid was a clone with a super detail exterior and queue, etc. But this took *five* years to complete. The Empire State Building took less than 3 years to build way back in 1931.

And, I'm not going to touch the time line for Avatarland, lol. I find my estimate to be more realistic at three years from today, so we'll see.

Oh and I totally agree with you! I love watching Pandora come to life, it's so exciting.

I hope I am wrong too. I don't find three years to be that outlandish where Disney is concerned. LOL.

top485322LARGE.jpg

Radiator Springs Racers 19.5 months out from opening, we are now 20.5 out from May 2017 (which is why you'll have a tough time convincing me Pandora has slipped to 2018).

The youtube comments are hilarious circa 2010. 'No one really likes Cars, this doesn't fit with the theme of the park, the movie is a flop, no one is going to want to visit, this is going to be majorly delayed' etc.

Nothing changes on the internet, years of angst and ultimately all is forgiven if the product is deemed worthy.
Yes, I totally agree! Almost everyone dismissed Carsland while it was under construction and.touted the New Fantasyland as being the superior project of the two and now they're requesting Carsland at WDW. LOL.

Siren

Yes, I totally agree. Thank you for explaining this much better than I could.

I feel like people are over simplifying this project like it's an overnight carnival setup, when it's not. It will take some time and effort to complete this.

TSL181008.jpg

r-1439698570-IMG_4458.JPG

r-1439706493-SlinkyDogCoaster1.jpg

The Slinky Dog Coaster is themed to an extent and it even goes underground. Too cute!

LOL. I had to go back and read what I wrote. I guess I will stay with that because the latest rumor I saw for Avatarland was that it would open with the movie in December of 2017. I don't buy that, I think Avatarland will be pushed into early 2018. And, construction for Toy Story Playland will start closer toward the completion of Avatarland. So, for now I think TSPL will open in 2019 -- 4 years from now.

twebber55

top485322LARGE.jpg

yep right now i feel pretty good that it will open in 2017 beyond just this (but this is a good example) there are clues on the pamphlet also that clue you in on a 2017 opening

Siren

Just remember, there is a lot of rock work here. And then after that millions of fake plants to "plant" on those rocks. Cars Land didn't have that amount of fake vegetation to deal with.

I could easily see this slipping to '18.
Good morning '71! I totally agree. It took Disney forever to finally add trees and fake grass on top of 7DMT, so I can't even imagine how they're going to do Avatarland. LOL.

Siren

Okay so, I found the full pamphlet to jamboeveryone.com -- and, I don't see any clues or anything that alludes to a completion date. I hope it's 2017, but I strongly suspect 2018. I just can't see Disney opening Avatarland ahead of the movie. We'll see.

blogger-image-1782159468.jpg

blogger-image-1595159878.jpg

blogger-image-933446431.jpg

blogger-image--1806541316.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom