AVATAR land construction progress

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes, I agree, it is not completely confirmed but can you imagine how crowded the other ride would get when it rains.
Quite true. I am sure they could figure out a way to mitigate that a bit and only see them going with an outdoor portion it if design constraints forced their hand.

twebber55

Well sort of. It is conceivable to think that this area is inside a cave, underground, etc. A very short outdoor section would be consistent with that illusion. Of course you could just as easily have the cave entrance as the start of the queue.
this is what im thinking..the cave is the start of the queue

Timothy_Q

Measuring on Google Earth, the boat ride show building seems to be about the same size as the second Pirates building, the one outside the train tracks

Mawg

Quite true. I am sure they could figure out a way to mitigate that a bit and only see them going with an outdoor portion it if design constraints forced their hand.
I should also state that I'm not picturing this ride going into some underground cave where you see the plant life. They stated you would get to see the world what it would look like at night, not in the dark in a cave. I picture giant rooms with projections all over the walls and the ceilings to make it feel like you are in a the great expanse of the out doors at night. Having theming where you start outside and then go into a cave is not the same as experiencing the world of Avatar at night.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I should also state that I'm not picturing this ride going into some underground cave where you see the plant life. They stated you would get to see the world what it would look like at night, not in the dark in a cave. I picture giant rooms with projections all over the walls and the ceilings to make it feel like you are in a the great expanse of the out doors at night. Having theming where you start outside and then go into a cave is not the same as experiencing the world of Avatar at night.
I believe Joe said that it would be a place where it is always night. That is what lead me to think of the cave concept.

P_Radden

The big trench in front of the show building is interesting. Those are JLG man lifts down in there, and those things are not small. Looking at the pic and the shadows, that must be a at least 12-20' deep. Also notice the bridge (red arrow). I wonder if this will be the main queue entrance?

upclose.jpg

I wonder if this area will be used as a catch basin for the waterfall seen on the model. With it being so deep, they could do some cool underwater features with lights etc.

And for reference, here is an old aerial taken from google maps. In this shot you can see the large concrete retaining walls:

Now if you look back up at the first pic, you can see how built up the earth is now. Look at the green arrows pointing to the dirt hill.

Here is the waterfall I was talking about in this pic:
waterfall.jpg

Last edited:

Mawg

I believe Joe said that it would be a place where it is always night. That is what lead me to think of the cave concept.
Oh, I see the confusion. Interesting interpretation. You maybe right. I took "night" as looking like you are out doors. A cave to me is not always night it's just a place the sunlight can't get to. But since Joe Rohde can be a bit of a riddler, you may be right.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Oh, I see the confusion. Interesting interpretation. You maybe right. I took "night" as looking like you are out doors. A cave to me is not always night it's just a place the sunlight can't get to. But since Joe Rohde can be a bit of a riddler, you may be right.
Either way I think it is going to be awesome. Now I just need them to lock down an opening date so I can get the time off work.:)

Mawg

Either way I think it is going to be awesome. Now I just need them to lock down an opening date so I can get the time off work.:)
I'm still bothered by how little they talked about the boat ride at D23, either they are being really secretive about it to hype it later or there is something not quite right about it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm still bothered by how little they talked about the boat ride at D23, either they are being really secretive about it to hype it later or there is something not quite right about it.
Agreed, there definitely seems to be some issue with it. It's either going to be a phase 2, or it isn't seen as being a significant enough attraction to warrant a lot of talk about it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We still have at least a year at minimum before Pandora opens to guests. No sense is blowing your entire story in the first act. I am 99.9% sure that details will emerge and the opening date gets closer.

Mawg

We still have at least a year at minimum before Pandora opens to guests. No sense is blowing your entire story in the first act. I am 99.9% sure that details will emerge and the opening date gets closer.
I hope you are right, but I have a bad feeling about this Chewy.

Incomudro

I hope you are right, but I have a bad feeling about this Chewy.

I have a very good feeling about this.
I think they are doing a smart, and very deliberate job of holding back information.
My belief?
Indoor boat ride - possibly starting outdoors - with the most beautiful "wow" factor visuals we have ever seen.
Animatronic critters, and plants, projections...

twebber55

if you go to near map look at the expansion pad area over by everest...if you look closely there seems to be some work possibly on rock work either for pandora or a mock of the rock work

doctornick

Yeah, I'm expecting the boat ride to take you into a dense forest where it is dark all the time due to the thick canopy not letting in light.

Mawg

Yeah, I'm expecting the boat ride to take you into a dense forest where it is dark all the time due to the thick canopy not letting in light.

Not quite what I'm expecting. I'm thinking more along the lines of the way the Vegas resort malls make you feel like you are outside at night by changing the lighting on the ceiling only taken to the next level with projections. I picturing projections on the ceilings and walls of night sky with flocks of banshees flying over head and bright moons and planets mixed with dense vegetation and animatronics. I don't want to look up and see air vents and dirty ceiling tiles and light fixtures, those all need to be hidden by vegetation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom