AVATAR land construction progress

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think this is the new Central Energy Plant that I saw a permit for a while back.

Capture.JPG

doctornick

We still have at least a year at minimum before Pandora opens to guests. No sense is blowing your entire story in the first act. I am 99.9% sure that details will emerge and the opening date gets closer.

Yeah. While it's quite possible that the boat ride will be less significant or open later, I think it's entirely possible they are holding off on details of it so they can make an announcement at a later date to create some buzz for the land. We're still 2 years away from opening so it is good for them to have some more details to hold back and having ride information in those details makes them more intriguing than (say) just a M&G or a walking trail.

And Flight of Passage has always been the better know attraction, so they weren't going to get away with not talking about it at D23 if they were going to discuss the land. Makes sense to hold back on the boat ride if they were going to emphasize only one of them.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Agreed, there definitely seems to be some issue with it. It's either going to be a phase 2, or it isn't seen as being a significant enough attraction to warrant a lot of talk about it.

Joe Rohde did say it would be incredibly romantic, i.e. the boat ride. They didn't really talk about the simulator that much either. I think Disney has just psychologically burned us with too many phased openings, NFL bordering on ridiculous. I actually think all the signs point to everything opening up at once.

Siren

Wow! I totally believe that the World of Pandora will be 'incredibly romantic'. That's the vibe I get whenever I look at the exceptional concept art. It's like *nothing* I have ever seen. I love beautiful exotic flowers, lush plants and gorgeous environments -- and, much prefer this over oppressive dry sand desert and hard concrete landscapes.

Also, there appear to be some over sized Calla lilies in the concept art of the boat ride. I *love* Calla lilies, these flowers are so graceful and elegant -- I have a painting of them and I keep them all through my house. So, I really hope to see these giant sized ones on the boat ride.

I just am blown away by all of the amazing construction pictures, this is definitely one of the most ambitious and highest quality projects I have ever seen from Disney!

Disneyhead'71

Wow! I totally believe that the World of Pandora will be 'incredibly romantic'. That's the vibe I get whenever I look at the exceptional concept art. It's like *nothing* I have ever seen. I love beautiful exotic flowers, lush plants and gorgeous environments -- and, much prefer this over oppressive dry sand desert and hard concrete landscapes.

Also, there appear to be some over sized Calla lilies in the concept art of the boat ride. I *love* Calla lilies, these flowers are so graceful and elegant -- I have a painting of them and I keep them all through my house. So, I really hope to see these giant sized ones on the boat ride.

I just am blown away by all of the amazing construction pictures, this is definitely one of the most ambitious and highest quality projects I have ever seen from Disney!
Hey, something we agree on! :)

flyerjab

Agreed, there definitely seems to be some issue with it. It's either going to be a phase 2, or it isn't seen as being a significant enough attraction to warrant a lot of talk about it.

I don't completely agree. I was actually disappointed by the amount of (or lack of) information that was given out about either of the rides or attractions. I just felt that neither the boat ride or the simulator ride garnered very much attention during the presentation beyond what has already been uncovered on this site. There still is so much information that needs to be officially put out about this land. It was nice seeing the full size model, but I still left feeling like I found out very little about this project. I mean, the official names for the land and the simulator ride were doled out. Woohoo (and this is a sarcastic woohoo).

The best part about the Pandora presentation was Rohde's enthusiasm.

Siren

Unfortunately, Avatarland was overshadowed by the Star Wars land announcement. James Cameron is more of a can do person, he doesn't like to blow a bunch of hot air with no substance -- he simply allows his work to speak for itself and his unrivaled track record demonstrates this. So, I am comforted by the quiet low key approach, this is more his style.

The LA Times reported that Disney is essentially terrified by Harry Potter at Universal California, and that is the *only* reason they made the Star Wars land announcement the primary focus of D23, at the expense of Avatarland -- it was all strategic and had nothing to do with demand from Star Wars fans.

Also, the LA Times stated that construction will begin for Star Wars land at Disneyland in *California* sometime in 2017. Disney did not provide a timeline at all for DHS, which is far more troubling for me -- more so than anything concerning Avatarland.

Disney seems to have a methodical approach to construction projects, where they tend to execute the smaller projects first and leaving the bigger and best project(s) for last -- it just makes sense.

I predict that Disney will start construction for Toy Story Playland first sometime in 2018 -- once Toy Story Play land opens then Disney will begin construction for Star Wars land in 2019 or 2020 and the land will open in 2022 or 2023. IMO.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I don't completely agree. I was actually disappointed by the amount of (or lack of) information that was given out about either of the rides or attractions. I just felt that neither the boat ride or the simulator ride garnered very much attention during the presentation beyond what has already been uncovered on this site. There still is so much information that needs to be officially put out about this land. It was nice seeing the full size model, but I still left feeling like I found out very little about this project. I mean, the official names for the land and the simulator ride were doled out. Woohoo (and this is a sarcastic woohoo).

Isn't this how most projects are announced though? Disney is usually pretty vague until about six months out from opening. It is uniquely odd that we have an entire walk through of Frozen Ever After.

I think the difference here is the number of vague announcements. Most projects get one vague announcement with concept art about 3 years out and then more details closer. But most projects don't get announced 6 years out.

BrianLo

Finally making sense.

20070749953_cb91414363_o.jpg

Green - Banshee Ride Entrance (Standby/fastpass plus, pick your poison)
Purple - Ride Exit
Blue - Access to the Boat ride

Red - I wanted to highlight this retaining wall. It delineates a fairly big difference in grade, especially the closer you get to entering the Soarin' building.

The upper level of the 'boat ride' building is going to be the Soarin' queue and pre-show area. The bottom is where the boat ride is. Hence why the two are so hard to see on the independently on the model.

In actuality you have to go all the way around the retaining wall I've highlighted in red to reach the upper levels of the Banshee entrance or all the way back down to the boat ride. The rides are quite literally in part on top of each other, but on foot they will feel like quite a hike away and two separate "sections". You have to go "up" the mountains to reach the Banshee's after all.

I think the 'third attraction' will be an animal/nature walking trail that some were mistakingly calling the Banshee queue on the model.

Mike S

Finally making sense.

Purple - Ride Exit

Red - I wanted to highlight this retaining wall. It delineates a fairly big difference in grade, especially the closer you get to entering the Soarin' building.

The upper level of the 'boat ride' building is going to be the Soarin' queue and pre-show area. The bottom is where the boat ride is. Hence why the two are so hard to see on the independently on the model.

In actuality you have to go all the way around the retaining wall I've highlighted in red to reach the upper levels of the Banshee entrance or all the way back down to the boat ride. The rides are quite literally in part on top of each other, but on foot they will feel like quite a hike away and two separate "sections". You have to go "up" the mountains to reach the Banshee's after all.

I think the 'third attraction' will be an animal/nature walking trail that some were mistakingly calling the Banshee queue on the model.
Really hope that's how it's done.

BrianLo

Really hope that's how it's done.

No need for hoping. Here's the difference in grade from the ground, I've highlighted both levels in red. We also know the queue is above the boat ride from those long-long ago leaked plans.

Boat ride dead ahead, Soarin' on level two on the far right of the image.

20071209773_e755bfd6c5_o.jpg

Here you can see the difference in the levels in green most easily by the water level on the two different floors.

20683130892_0ece3d1145_o.jpg

Really wish someone had a telephoto zoom on that D23 model, they really hide the meat and potatoes in the far back of the exhibit.

Edit: Follow the guests uphill in purple. I spy a Soarin' ride entrance with that group on the left. Is this the best quality photos of the model that were taken?

Last edited:

Mike S

No need for hoping. Here's the difference in grade from the ground, I've highlighted both levels in red. We also know the queue is above the boat ride from those long-long ago leaked plans.

Boat ride dead ahead, Soarin' on level two on the far right of the image.

20071209773_e755bfd6c5_o.jpg

Here you can see the difference in the levels in green most easily by the water level on the two different floors.

20069582864_f78cb478bb_o.jpg

Really wish someone had a telephoto zoom on that D23 model, they really hide the meat and potatoes in the far back of the exhibit.
Then Disney really did a good job making us "hike" to the Banshees. Is it 2017 yet?

twebber55

Finally making sense.

Purple - Ride Exit

great job as always
on the Disney and more pictures you see stairs going towards the mtn façade on the SW corner near the human quarters I think that could be some type of walking trail

BrianLo

great job as always
on the Disney and more pictures you see stairs going towards the mtn façade on the SW corner near the human quarters I think that could be some type of walking trail

Thanks! Also thanks for pointing that out. I'm glad Andy Castro took pictures. I'd been fairly unsatisfied with the quality of images that had come from D23 of the model. I kind of forgot about it with all the Star Wars/Toy Story news though.

As per those stairs, I think that is also just another way to go "up". I made an edit to the photo of the model above, you can see the way the guests walk up, which is the area I believe you were referring to.

twebber55

Thanks! Also thanks for pointing that out. I'm glad Andy Castro took pictures. I'd been fairly unsatisfied with the quality of images that had come from D23 of the model. I kind of forgot about it with all the Star Wars/Toy Story news though.

As per those stairs, I think that is also just another way to go "up". I made an edit to the photo of the model above, you can see the way the guests walk up, which is the area I believe you were referring to.
yep exactly the area

HauntedMansionFLA

We got more information about Rivers of Light than the two Avatar rides.

El Grupo

Unfortunately, Avatarland was overshadowed by the Star Wars land announcement. James Cameron is more of a can do person, he doesn't like to blow a bunch of hot air with no substance -- he simply allows his work to speak for itself and his unrivaled track record demonstrates this. So, I am comforted by the quiet low key approach, this is more his style.

The LA Times reported that Disney is essentially terrified by Harry Potter at Universal California, and that is the *only* reason they made the Star Wars land announcement the primary focus of D23, at the expense of Avatarland -- it was all strategic and had nothing to do with demand from Star Wars fans.

Also, the LA Times stated that construction will begin for Star Wars land at Disneyland in *California* sometime in 2017. Disney did not provide a timeline at all for DHS, which is far more troubling for me -- more so than anything concerning Avatarland.

Disney seems to have a methodical approach to construction projects, where they tend to execute the smaller projects first and leaving the bigger and best project(s) for last -- it just makes sense.

I predict that Disney will start construction for Toy Story Playland first sometime in 2018 -- once Toy Story Play land opens then Disney will begin construction for Star Wars land in 2019 or 2020 and the land will open in 2022 or 2023. IMO.

Have to disagree on the timing for the DHS redo. I suspect we will see construction start on TSL soon, hopefully after the new fiscal year begins, and SW to begin around 2017 in Orlando as well. Sounds like there's more to be announced for DHS, MK and EPCOT. I believe Disney will want those projects wrapped up by 2021 to avoid major construction at WDW during the 50th.

But, back to Pandora, wow! These updated construction photos certainly help me better appreciate what is required to make the vision a reality.

TyTrap

Anyone want to venture a guess for where construction will be at by year's end? considering the mock ups, I'm guessing the actual rock work will be starting soon.

Hula Popper

Absolutely love the great work some of you do with the comparisons of the plans, concept art, models, and actual construction photos. I'm one of those who said "huh?" when they originally announced this partnership, but the more I see and hear about the development, the more I I've grown interested and excited about it. It looks like it will be an amazing sight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom