AVATAR land construction progress

MagicGoofy

Maybe it's just me....but those floating mountains don't look all that "huge" to me. I was expecting something much bigger.

There will certainly be places that are more photo genic or work much more visually looking at the mountains than others much like Hogwarts, where when you are just entering hogsmead and looking at the castle from a distance it looks much bigger and grander but up close it doesn't work nearly as well. (In my opinion)

orky8

I, personally, don't believe that the floating mountain effect will work visually. They will still be cool and highly detailed, but they won't really look like the movie.

Yeah, agreed. Hogwarts and Beast Castle don't really work for me either. They make neat photo ops, and are cool looking (Hogwarts, especially), but forced perspective can't really pull off the idea that there is a massive castle there.

Perhaps, though, it will work better with the floating mountains because they will just look like floating rocks. The castles don't work because they are obviously not the size of a castle, but who's to say how big these floating objects are supposed to be?

Flippin'Flounder

Yeah, agreed. Hogwarts and Beast Castle don't really work for me either. They make neat photo ops, and are cool looking (Hogwarts, especially), but forced perspective can't really pull off the idea that there is a massive castle there.

Perhaps, though, it will work better with the floating mountains because they will just look like floating rocks. The castles don't work because they are obviously not the size of a castle, but who's to say how big these floating objects are supposed to be?
I think the real problem with Beast Castle and Hogwarts is that you enter through giant rocks below them, making it completely unrealistic for you to actually be up in the castle.

captainmoch

I think the real problem with Beast Castle and Hogwarts is that you enter through giant rocks below them, making it completely unrealistic for you to actually be up in the castle.
Well, with Hogwarts you at least loop around by the side and up through the greenhouses. It works fine for me. Not sure about Beast Castle though, as I've never been into it.

BrianLo

I'd like to completely correct myself... You were all correct with the assumption that the photo of the arch was indeed the model (albeit photoshopped and filtered). What appeared to be a photoshopped background is actually a real backdrop and they indeed seem to have updated the model with Na'vi instead of park guests.

See the 18 second mark of the most recent video.

Less than 24 hours to go in my estimation before photos and videos start making their way to the net from the show floor!

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Sunday, Aug 16. From the park entrance turnstiles, the two "mountains" on the right side are getting taller.

IMG_5954.JPG

Last edited:

Ragetti

Well, with Hogwarts you at least loop around by the side and up through the greenhouses. It works fine for me. Not sure about Beast Castle though, as I've never been into it.

For me, neither one feels like you're actually entering the castle you see from a distance, though I think the Hogwart's method works a bit better. I think both look pretty good, though obviously Hogwarts is much bigger than Beast's castle.

PorterRedkey

I hear a lot of people complain about seeing show building when you should not and how you can see certain rides where you aren't suppose to see them, but I have never heard anyone bring up Space Mountain at Disneyland. I was shocked that when I left Guest Relations, and the first thing I saw was Space Mountain towering over Main Street.

flyerjab

Photo update as of Sunday, Aug 16. From the park entrance turnstiles, the two "mountains" on the right side are getting taller.

View attachment 106160

The ambition of this alone is impressive. And again, this is the perfect sight line draw for this expansion. People, waiting in line, are going to see this first. It will be like moths to a bioluminescent flame.

PorterRedkey

The ambition of this alone is impressive. And again, this is the perfect sight line draw for this expansion. People, waiting in line, are going to see this first. It will be like moths to a bioluminescent flame.

AK for me is already a park that is most fun to explore. I really like all of the "secret paths". I hope the Pandora: World of Jewelry, err I mean World of Avatar has many pathways to explore. Especially, if they don't have a official walking trail.

twebber55

AK for me is already a park that is most fun to explore. I really like all of the "secret paths". I hope the Pandora: World of Jewelry, err I mean World of Avatar has many pathways to explore. Especially, if they don't have a official walking trail.
Joe also mentioned caves to explore as well
im thinking they purposely kept a lot of details out to slowly leak things to the public..still got about a year and a half before opening

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom