AVATAR land construction progress

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
At this point I have a feeling they are not going to worry about the back of the building at all.
Anyone else have that feeling? Yeah, it's something that you see while you bus in. But you
won't see it from inside the park, or at the entrance.

Anyone know differently?
Looks like they are going to paint it and nothing more, it is facing a parking lot.

misterID

At this point I have a feeling they are not going to worry about the back of the building at all.
Anyone else have that feeling? Yeah, it's something that you see while you bus in. But you
won't see it from inside the park, or at the entrance.

Anyone know differently?
When I drove by it I thought the same thing. I don't see any possible way to hide it. It's just there.

misterID

I love the term stupidly excited. I pretty much have fallen into that category since day one. I have said from the beginning that this expansion is the dark horse candidate with all of the work that has happened (NFL), is happening, and will be happening in WDW. It is slightly more unconventional in that it is not their property, they are partnering with Cameron (a known perfectionist who does not settle for status quo), and that it is being placed in DAK.

I think that once more is released, and the floating mountains continue to become more visible as they are constructed, the interest for this is going to increase dramatically. This has gone from an addition with a simple Soarin' clone and a C-ticket on again/off again boat ride, to a thrilling simulator experience with 6 directions of motion and a boat ride that is now being touted as a true D-ticket similar to the WDW pirates ride. And the land itself should be a one of a kind experience that I am placing now on the level of theming you see at TDS.
Same here. I was excited day one, now that's gone up to 11.

I'm still bummed it didn't get the launch coaster, though.

toolsnspools

Same here. I was excited day one, now that's gone up to 11.

I'm still bummed it didn't get the launch coaster, though.

I'm starting to think the motorbike coaster rumors were actually a part of the design of the Soarin' like attraction. The set of seats facing the screen (https://www.vekoma.com/index.php/specialities-and-attractions/panoramic-flight-simulator) could be replaced by a set of "motorbikes" themed to be banshees pointed at the screen. That would keep the ride capacity the same, and give the feeling that you're on a banshee. In the movie, the banshees breathe through holes by the riders feet. Air ducts could be placed with vents by your feet so you could "feel" the banshee breathing too.

I'm hoping that a model of the banshee is at D23 similar to the way the mine train coaster had a model car there a few years ago.

jt04

I'm starting to think the motorbike coaster rumors were actually a part of the design of the Soarin' like attraction. The set of seats facing the screen (https://www.vekoma.com/index.php/specialities-and-attractions/panoramic-flight-simulator) could be replaced by a set of "motorbikes" themed to be banshees pointed at the screen. That would keep the ride capacity the same, and give the feeling that you're on a banshee. In the movie, the banshees breathe through holes by the riders feet. Air ducts could be placed with vents by your feet so you could "feel" the banshee breathing too.

....just as long as it doesn't smell like chili dogs. :cautious:

BrianLo

I'm starting to think the motorbike coaster rumors were actually a part of the design of the Soarin' like attraction.

From what I gather it was meant to be a full on coaster like what Shanghai is getting. The Vekoma motor bikes was/is the 'idea de jour' around the halls of Imagineering. They've tried throwing it at Iron Man, Star Wars, Avatar... in addition to TRoN obviously.

I'm no imagineer, but I don't see how an out-and-out motorbike coaster remotely makes sense for Avatar. Maybe a B&M wingrider if they were going the cheap, lightly-themed steel coaster route.

I don't lament the loss. Seems like a good possibility for DHS though.

WED Purist

asking this because I like your opinions...do you think this new mountain is the 2nd/middle mountain or the third mountain which would be on the right?
Just remember that this is concept art, but there is a photo of the actual model out now (albeit with a Photoshopped sky behind it). If you want to know actual details, refer to the model.

twebber55

Just remember that this is concept art, but there is a photo of the actual model out now (albeit with a Photoshopped sky behind it). If you want to know actual details, refer to the model.
if the mountains look like that jaws will be dropped:jawdrop:
the video view shows those two mtns are further apart than the entrance to the park view....I guess that shows you how large the mtns are and this land is
thanks for your post

Edit: Hoping for full blown model of entire land this weekend

BrianLo

What are you referring to? The picture with Rohde, Staggs and Cameron?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What are you referring to? The picture with Rohde, Staggs and Cameron?

I believe he is referring to this..

Cosmic Commando

Count me in the group that is "stupidly excited" for this now. I purposely ignored it for a while (why get all lathered up about something that's six years away?), but I am very excited now that steel is going up and you can see that giant show building and the cranes. Between the model, the concept art, the construction we can see inside the park, James Cameron's involvement, aerial views of the site, etc. you can tell that this is a big deal. And I even like the movie, to boot.

BrianLo

no that's a model

I'm not sure... they've run it through some sort of filter/someone has done a lot of doctoring to it so it's really hard to tell.

However, the actual model contains people instead of Na'vi.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_2231.jpeg

There could always be more than one I suppose, but I'm leaning on the side of that looks like concept art to me. I fully expect the full model Cameron et. al are looking at is what will be on the D23 floor. Only 5 or so days to go!

twebber55

I'm not sure... they've run it through some sort of filter/someone has done a lot of doctoring to it so it's really hard to tell.

However, the actual model contains people instead of Na'vi.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_2231.jpeg

There could always be more than one I suppose, but I'm leaning on the side of that looks like concept art to me. I fully expect the full model Cameron et. al are looking at is what will be on the D23 floor. Only 5 or so days to go!
Friday and Saturday should be pretty fun around here

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom