AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

lazyboy97o

Do we have to bring this out again?

Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.
—Michael D. Eisner, April 22, 1998

Where, may I ask, in that dedication does it say "Earth animals"? I believe the wildlife of Pandora fits perfectly into the "imagined" category.
The connection to earth and human cultures is seen in what was proposed and built as well as Joe Rohde's portfolio of work. And speaking of Joe, he can't be too busy with this seeing as he has been in Mongolia for the past month. So how long ago was the model photo taken?

Did it make 1 billion, or the inflation equivalent?

Point is, it was not a relevant movie.....if Avatar isnt "relevant" in 2017 (I guess we are tossing out the future sequels?) As long as the land is beautiful, the ride is fun and the shows bring in crowds.....it'll be a bonus. Besides, look at its replacing....a dead zone camp minnie mickey.....who cares? Throw in a merry-go-round and its an upgrade.
Relevance isn't directly correlated to box office numbers. People knew the Uncle Remus stories as well as the still known "Zip-A-Dee-Do-Da."

doctornick

What is TDO expecting from Avatar? I remember seeing the pictures of the crowds when Harry Potter Opened at IOA. If Disney is expecting those kind of crowds with Avatarland I think they will be disappointed. I don't think crowds that big are reasonable to expect for Avatar. But I do hope Avatarland and the night show make AK into a full day park. Any opinions ?

I cannot imagine that TDO would be so naive to expect that HP kind of reaction for Avatar (for Star Wars on the other hand, they might.....). I suspect what TDO would expect for DAK with Avatar and the night time show is:

1. More people going to DAK total (higher attendence) instead of skipping the park
2. People staying longer in the park, increasing revenue there (merch and food sales) and taking the burden off of the other parks that get PM traffic from DAK.
and, really optimistically,
3. People spending more than 1 day at DAK or just in general doing longer vacations at WDW.

Not really. But nice try.

According to this forum:

Movie makes billions of dollars due people going back to see it four times because the audience loved it so much.

Movie becomes the most successful film of all time.

Movie breaks home video records.

Movie receives multiple academy awards.

Movie receives near universal praise from all film critics.

But the movie is "bad" because a few elitist Disney nerds are mad it wasn't made by the Walt Disney Company.

Yeah, I think that about covers it.

twebber55

According to this forum:

Movie makes billions of dollars due people going back to see it four times because the audience loved it so much.

But the movie is "bad" because a few elitist Disney nerds are mad it wasn't made by the Walt Disney Company.

post of the day in my book...only here is this movie described as being bad

BaconPancakes

According to this forum:

Why no dislike button wdwmagic?

misterID

You got me. There is a difference. It changes nothing. I was paraphrasing anyway. @danlb_2000 said it in his post better. Real, ancient and imagined. The creatures from Avatar are imagined. They fit in.

Oh, are they still using the old imaginary vs mythical reason as to why Avatar doesn't fit AK?

...imaginary and mythical both mean the same thing: made up = imagined. :)

btw, I think it fits just on the shared enviormental message. That was my first thought at why it fit.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It's an honor to have an expert on children's entertainment posting here.
I never said, or claimed to be one. Thanks for playing.

But, here's what I see. A PG-13 rating...extravagant violence and cursing, trying to shore up a shallow plot that I could just have easily have shared with her by showing her Fern Gully, without the awkward questions and "new vocabulary".

Wow, a great film to show my 5 year old.

I suppose it does teach a "lesson"...about how magical plot devices can be invented to seal plot holes, and that will save her life...oh, and that she should "save the planet" even if it's not her planet...

Yeah...it's a worthless movie.

And to think that Spielberg swapped out shotguns for walkie talkies because he thought ET was "too violent"...

Meh...try again.

twebber55

I never said, or claimed to be one. Thanks for playing.

But, here's what I see. A PG-13 rating...extravagant violence and cursing, trying to shore up a shallow plot that I could just have easily have shared with her by showing her Fern Gully, without the awkward questions and "new vocabulary".

Wow, a great film to show my 5 year old.

I suppose it does teach a "lesson"...about how magical plot devices can be invented to seal plot holes, and that will save her life...oh, and that she should "save the planet" even if it's not her planet...

Yeah...it's a worthless movie.

And to think that Spielberg swapped out shotguns for walkie talkies because he thought ET was "too violent"...

Meh...try again.
who says the land will not be child appropriate?

doctornick

Harry Potter, kids grew up with it. It's kid friendly. LOTR, some kids grew up with it, it's still kid friendly.

While basically true, I'm not sure this is a big deal. Kids don't have to be intimately familiar with the source material to enjoy the attractions and I doubt they'd have a big military theme pervading the attractions. I'm expecting the rides to be more about viewing the environment of Pandora.

Also, I'm not sure the violence in Avatar is any worse than what is in the Harry Potter movies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom