AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Zweiland

I don't like the concept art. How's that for "on-topic"? It doesn't show anything that has anything to do with the concept and theme of the park in which it's supposed to reside. The concept art shows a fictional planet and the park in which it is to reside is dedicated to animals that live on our planet (Earth). One doesn't have anything to do with the other. I expressed this in several of my other posts, so I don't know how this particular one is now on-topic while the others were off-topic, but you're entitled to your opinion ... as am I.
Do we have to bring this out again?

Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.
—Michael D. Eisner, April 22, 1998

Where, may I ask, in that dedication does it say "Earth animals"? I believe the wildlife of Pandora fits perfectly into the "imagined" category.

lazyboy97o

well the title of the thread is about the concept art but yet again anti folk (for two years now) want to continuously bash with the same boring arguments...why go to a thread that you loathe? why not just either create your own bashing thread or ignore the thread all together? i mean the stuff you ve been posting about is two years old...it gets you know old
edit: AJh219 beat me to it lol
You say that (again) like there is significant substance to discuss. Very little of what is know about the project has changed.

MerlinTheGoat

Just because the movie wasnt "good" doesnt mean it wont make a good theme park attraction/land...
Very true. But I seriously doubt you're going to get anything even close to what Splash Mountain brought. At the time it was opened, it was considered one of the best theme park rides ever. And it still is considered an awesome experience.

Going by the concept art for Avatar, there's nothing to indicate we're going to get any Splash Mountain tier rides. A boat ride (likely without drops) along with a Soarin clone themed to Pandora plus some nice walkthroughs. I personally don't mind that as the park does need more calm rides that delve into richly themed environments. Though it shouldn't be taking that long for something like that. They need to go absolutely insane with the theming for these rides to get the attention Iger and his gang are expecting (in other words, make it like the concept art and ensure that's the standard for the entire land and not just a small portion).

Plus the land hasn't even begun construction and it could still end up half-assed and budget slashed if the bean counters have their way...

Mr_Incredible

Song of the South had a rather successful theatrical rerelease in 1986 before Splash Mountain was green lighted to open in 1989 at Disneyland.
Did it make 1 billion, or the inflation equivalent?

Point is, it was not a relevant movie.....if Avatar isnt "relevant" in 2017 (I guess we are tossing out the future sequels?) As long as the land is beautiful, the ride is fun and the shows bring in crowds.....it'll be a bonus. Besides, look at its replacing....a dead zone camp minnie mickey.....who cares? Throw in a merry-go-round and its an upgrade.

billDozer

To you, and all of you who have been against this and are now
reconsidering, what did you THINK it was going to look like?
These are virtual recreations of frames from the film. This
is what I always thought it would look like, how could it
be anything else?
Disney hasnt done anything this grandiose for an expansion. The scale is monumental. That is what swayed me, i still dont think avatar is a good property for disney, i would have preferred an original story.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Disney hasnt done anything this grandiose for an expansion. The scale is monumental. That is what swayed me, i still dont think avatar is a good property for disney, i would have preferred an original story.
It's also what worries me.

If the do it right, kudos. If they slash budgets at the last minute (like they did with AK)...in a few years, the whole attraction will be falling apart.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What everyone is dancing around is kids.

I'd show my kid Harry Potter. She's 8 now, and she's just NOW getting to the age where I'd show her Avatar.

It is NOT a kids movie.

twebber55

Now wait a second ... I thought I was the "angry message board guy"?!?!? Or is everyone an angry message board guy except for yourself?*
*Rhetorical question
how many post have you made on this topic today/ take a break and just enjoy theme parks for what they are...give it try when it opens

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom