AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

AdventureHasAName

I'm pretty sure Bob Iger did expect that though.

Me too. All he saw was the dollar signs from ticket sales of the film and in his world he equates More $ = More Popularity. And to a certain extent, there's some truth in that. But not always ... and I would argue that in this particular instance, the film made the amount of money it did (and had the amount of ticket sales that it did) because it was the first time a sci-fi action film was designed for the express purpose of being a 3-D movie ... not because of a fondness for the story or characters. I bet it never occurred to him to see how much merchandise sales and representations in other media (novels, comic books, music, television, cartoons) were generated by the film.

I bet he was shocked when they announced Avatar and the collective fan reaction was "Meh, we don't really like Avatar - it's not Star Wars."

I find it odd because it's the exact opposite of what Cars was (a film that sold an average amount of tickets but had a terrific run of merchandise sales) - and Iger seems to love the Cars property.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
While basically true, I'm not sure this is a big deal. Kids don't have to be intimately familiar with the source material to enjoy the attractions and I doubt they'd have a big military theme pervading the attractions. I'm expecting the rides to be more about viewing the environment of Pandora.

Also, I'm not sure the violence in Avatar is any worse than what is in the Harry Potter movies.

My kids love Avengers. It's more violent than Avatar. I wasn't really thinking about the language, but now that it's mentioned that is probably inappropriate for younger kids. My kids wouldn't sit through Avatar. It lost their interest pretty quickly. If you're not sure about showing your kids Avatar the movie bring them to the theme park area anyway and just tell them the blue people are giant smurfs. Kids will believe anything.;)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Great one off movie, glad Cameron made it...but come on...where are they gonna go with this? Fern Gully 2 offer them script ideas?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Or...wait, lets hear this out...maybe...the tall smurfs decide to invade earth, but along the way they are trapped in deep space...and they evolve...into...

BRILLIANT!

Now, who has my next bump to snort?

That's the spirit! Insult everyone who disagrees with you through childish insults.

Sort of like what was said earlier about Avatar fans. But if it's Star Wars it's an insult right? Because Disney owns it now?

Also someone couldn't show Avatar to their three year old, so cancel the whole expansion. I guess they should just close down Disney Hollywood Studios. To many terrible un-kid-safe films represented there. They're not good for the bubbles we want to raise our kids in or the the adults who still want to be treated like children for the betterment of children-kind.

some guy

Or...wait, lets hear this out...maybe...the tall smurfs decide to invade earth, but along the way they are trapped in deep space...and they evolve...into...

Getting into the origins of the Xenos? That would be dreadful and would remove all the mystery of the concept! What, would you just show some guy wandering around as the space jockey? Who would possibly want to make a movie like that?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Now that I could get behind. An adults only nighttime DAK with free flowing alcohol. :D

Keep in mind the most overlooked aspect of FLE is that it brought booze to the MK at WDW for the first time. Alcohol = huge profits. TDO or TWDC or whichever acronym we are blaming these days know this and exploits it on a regular basis. See food and wine festival.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My kids love Avengers. It's more violent than Avatar. I wasn't really thinking about the language, but now that it's mentioned that is probably inappropriate for younger kids. My kids wouldn't sit through Avatar. It lost their interest pretty quickly. If you're not sure about showing your kids Avatar the movie bring them to the theme park area anyway and just tell them the blue people are giant smurfs. Kids will believe anything.;)
Avengers doesn't involve gunning down innocent civilians (which Cameron made it quite clear the "non blue" lead actors while playing military are doing as they are insensitive and all they want to do is kill blue people)...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Getting into the origins of the Xenos? That would be dreadful and would remove all the mystery of the concept! What, would you just show some guy wandering around as the space jockey? Who would possibly want to make a movie like that?
Not my plot concept.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Avengers doesn't involve gunning down innocent civilians (which Cameron made it quite clear the "non blue" lead actors while playing military are doing as they are insensitive and all they want to do is kill blue people)...

There are like 30 minutes of the movie where the aliens who come out of that hole in the sky are gunning down tons of innocent civilians and knocking down a boat load of buildings in the process. It's pretty darn violent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom