AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

twebber55

I respect your opinion, but in my opinion, there is no way any kind of Avatar land could ever compete with Potter. Avatar doesn't have the cross-generational appeal of Potter. It doesn't have a humongously successful book series behind it. All it has is JUST ONE MOVIE so far, and the movie's appeal was based mostly on visuals. None of the characters in the movie are at all memorable as personalities; they don't even have the charisma of Harry, who was a pretty bland dude in the books (thank goodness for Daniel Radcliffe, who managed to make Harry seem at least somewhat believable onscreen.) There is no MAGIC, of ANY kind, in Avatar. Disney might as well have bought the rights to James Cameron's Titanic insofar as anything Cameron has created would fit into a Disney park. (The sinking of the Titanic, in fact, might make for a much more interesting ride!)
couple things...its hard to compare one franchise with 7 movies thats been around for 10 years to one movie thats really just starting ..you may be right but who knows after movies two and three where it stands...avatar essentially tripled the grose of any harry potter movie ( by the way i loved all of the movies)

also just because a fan base is large doesnt equate to a better themed land, although i think wwohp can be topped

what gets old is someone post something avatar related and the haters come out ...we get it you dont like it just dont post about how much you hate it again..i think it takes away from the thread

Captain Chaos

That's EXACTLY what I've heard, as well as remembered insiders saying on here.
I knew I remembered correctly... I remember people on here saying that.... I also remember it was really the online community talking about Avatar in Universal, mostly after Potter, and how much of an awesome job Universal would do with it... But now that it is Disney, the project sucks.. LoL... fickle these fanboys are, fickle, fickle, fickle.. :)

RSoxNo1

Universal was outbid for Avatar because Disney went after it.

Absent an interest from Disney, Universal would have bought Avatar.
Universal only saw enough content there for a single attraction, not an entire land. They had first crack at it apparently.

Also, I'm still holding out hope for a multi-dimensional coaster in Pandora... who's with me?

Brewmaster

Universal was outbid for Avatar because Disney went after it.

Absent an interest from Disney, Universal would have bought Avatar.

Not quite how events transpired.....

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep/21/business/la-fi-ct-disney-avatar-20110921

"Universal had preliminary discussions about creating an "Avatar" attraction for its parks, but never submitted a formal proposal, said a person with knowledge of the matter who requested anonymity because of the confidential nature of those discussions."

alissafalco

Universal only saw enough content there for a single attraction, not an entire land. They had first crack at it apparently.

Also, I'm still holding out hope for a multi-dimensional coaster in Pandora... who's with me?

I hope that 1 attraction is all WDW does with Avatar, not a whole land. They need more original attractions like EE that will last with time. Australia and a rainforest/South America land would be great. They could have an Anaconda ride. There are so many other options they could explore.

cookiee_munster

The unannounced but upcoming remodeling of DHS is what is meant to compete with Potter -- a complete remodel of DHS on par with the DCA remodel. THAT is what is going to take on Potter.

I'm by no means doubting this, but does it really have any fuel? ive been hearing odds n' sods on the board about such a project but nothing more than wishful thinking by fans?

I hope that 1 attraction is all WDW does with Avatar, not a whole land. They need more original attractions like EE that will last with time. Australia and a rainforest/South America land would be great. They could have an Anaconda ride. There are so many other options they could explore.
All the attractions in the new land could be original. Just because they have the rights to Avatar doesn't mean that each attraction will be rooted in the storyline. I honestly think they bought Avatar for the rights to Pandora itself (ie: the plants, the exotic creatures, etc), not a retelling of the story in ride form. I don't think anyone would need to have seen Avatar to enjoy the new park offerings. So while the environment is rooted in the films, the attraction concepts could be just as original as Everest. I don't think building South America instead of Pandora would make those attractions any better or worse. For all intents and purposes, Pandora is just another continent where guests can experience the natural flora and fauna through attractions, same as anything in Africa, Asia, etc.

alissafalco

All the attractions in the new land could be original. Just because they have the rights to Avatar doesn't mean that each attraction will be rooted in the storyline. I honestly think they bought Avatar for the rights to Pandora itself (ie: the plants, the exotic creatures, etc), not a retelling of the story in ride form. I don't think anyone would need to have seen Avatar to enjoy the new park offerings. So while the environment is rooted in the films, the attraction concepts could be just as original as Everest. I don't think building South America instead of Pandora would make those attractions any better or worse. For all intents and purposes, Pandora is just another continent where guests can experience the natural flora and fauna through attractions, same as anything in Africa, Asia, etc.

I hope you're right....but anything tagged to a movie that isn't a Disney classic always gets dated. Even WWOHP will be dated in 15-20 years. The only other film that has staying power has been star wars

DsnySodec

I guess Im the only one that thinks this is completely dumb idea, I do not see how Avatar fits into anything Disney. The movie was alright. it made a lot of money, but is not on the same level as Harry Potter.

alissafalco

I guess Im the only one that thinks this is completely dumb idea, I do not see how Avatar fits into anything Disney. The movie was alright. it made a lot of money, but is not on the same level as Harry Potter.

Oh you're not the only one! There are countless threads on here about how we think its a terrible idea.

Scuttle

Me! Multi-Dimensional coaster would be amazing. I think something this badas$ is in the works. I'm not buying the whole "Soarin over Pandora" nonsense. Disney has J.C. on board and their closest competitor is shattering records with a phase 2 opening in 2014. Disney has no choice but to go all in on Avatarland.

Beholder

I try not to compare Avatar to Harry Potter. HP is a much more realized world, fleshed out in the books, movies, and now a theme park attraction. Avatar is one film. Harry Potter has a proven and dedicated fan base world wide. Avatar, well, if there is one, it's considerably smaller. The only comparison I can make in a theme park setting. HP is world class. Will Avavtar meet that standard? Only time will tell, but I doubt Universal is worried. As a franchise, NO comparison. As attractions, I'll just wait and see.

baymenxpac

Not quite how events transpired.....

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep/21/business/la-fi-ct-disney-avatar-20110921

"Universal had preliminary discussions about creating an "Avatar" attraction for its parks, but never submitted a formal proposal, said a person with knowledge of the matter who requested anonymity because of the confidential nature of those discussions."

the source doesn't have attribution, so there's a chance it could be a uni PR person, using NDA as a shield, trying to make it look as though they passed, so disney got it. which of course positions them better. or it could be from cameron's camp, who was miffed that they never received a formal proposal.

disney fan 13

the source doesn't have attribution, so there's a chance it could be a uni PR person, using NDA as a shield, trying to make it look as though they passed, so disney got it. which of course positions them better. or it could be from cameron's camp, who was miffed that they never received a formal proposal.

I believe that most of the insiders around these parts have said that UNI passed on it...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom