AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

John

My problem with a Star Warsland is that it's a very risky thing. Sure, in theory it sounds like a "slam dunk" but if you really try to put ideas down on paper, how do you get a cohesive environment? Star Wars is way too big to be a single land...it really needs a full park or at least half of a park. Now, by doing THAT...you're limiting it to mainly males...

Think of the environments that you'd want to experience in a Star Warsland.
You'd want to go to the Cantina...so Tattoinne.
You want to see the AT-ATs...so Hoth
Of course you'd have to have the Ewoks (for the kids)...so Endor.
Yoda? Jedi Council?

RISKY! and AvLand isnt ? Star Wars Risky? Dont know what attrations you could build? Shoot, most of the people on this board could put together a reasonable line up. Heck, you could theme a drinking water foutian themed Star Wars and people woould be setting thier AFP...(see what I did there...new WDWMagic acronym... Advanced Fastpass) to just drink there. Star War fans are rabid. Have you been in a toy store lately? Every corner you turn you see a product with Star Wars on it. Not one thing Avatar....nada.

Risk? I respect your opinion....I really do, Everybody knows who Mark Hamill is and I dont think he ever played in anything else of substance yet I still know who he is after what almost thirty years. If it wasnt for this board I would have known what those blue cat people were. Couldnt name ONE characters name...not one. How many Star Wars characters can you name. Star Wars is in the very fiber of our culture.

Financially AvLand couldnt be more risky. Everyone mentions....well if they do it right...If it is an immersive themed land....and you have faith in TDO to deliver this....why? Even if they only built what you mentioned it would be a success. IMHO there is very little that you could consider even remotely a slam dunk when it comes to AvLand....I tell you what start a poll....Two choices......1 AvLand.....2 Star Wars Land and see what results you get.

cba

As with anything else, you have to pick and choose. You just have more to pick from. Done right, there's no risk at all to a single Star Wars land.

That said, if we're not getting Star Wars or Beastly Kingdom, I'm down with seeing what they can do to Avatar - done well, it could certainly be a kick-butt land too.
Agreed. I don't see any real harm. Of course, Disney can screw up and nobody likes the land, but I love Star Tours (1 and 2) and I think Disney can build of that and build a nice land.

M.rudolf

I'm really on the fence on avatar at the moment, Disney keeps selling it but not moving on it, no new concept art and no groundbreaking. Even the pics that were shown were at least a year old and not of the present concept of the land. What was pictured was project lightstorm and not project morpho

twebber55

I'm really on the fence on avatar at the moment, Disney keeps selling it but not moving on it, no new concept art and no groundbreaking. Even the pics that were shown were at least a year old and not of the present concept of the land. What was pictured was project lightstorm and not project morpho
not that we can take what staggs says as truth but didnt he mention this project has somewhat changed in teh last week or two?

disney is not helping themselves on this project but showing what they showed last week

dreamscometrue

'74 had that thread a few weeks back that Cameron signed off on the morpho version. Wonder what the delay is, if there really is a delay?

G00fyDad

Disney has always been the best at giving us something we didn't even know we wanted.

Rather, they have always been the best at convincing us that the things they give us are worth having.

Don't get me wrong. I love Disney. I love going. I will keep going until something very major happens to make me stop. And by major, I do not mean the pi$$y whining that some do about the little things keeping them from going back. I mean something REALLY wrong. But Disney does need to step up their game. They cannot rely on the "first time visitor" for revenue. They have to re-attract people to the park. I have convinced many of my friends to take yearly vacations to WDW only to have some, who were happy in the beginning, stop going because of the apathy Disney has shown in Florida. They need to fire Iger and Crofton and put someone in those positions that know what needs to be done in WDW. At the very least force Iger to release control of the parks division to someone who actually knows what they are doing and make Iger keep his nose out of that part of the business.

Skibum1970

Al Lutz: "I think Tom Staggs and Bob Iger for the most part are on track and making good decisions for the company. John Lasseter’s contributions are to be lauded even with his continued blind spot about Cars 2."

I've read more than once this past week that Bob Iger and John Lassiter are good for the company and are big on quality. Lutz reiterates this, and adds Tom Staggs name. DCA/DL got work, Paris needs work, but surely* these 3 men are aware of what WDW needs, and more money will be funneled this way in the coming years.

(*And don't call me Shirley. No? Don't remember that/ Too young? Oh well)

"Everywhere I go, something reminds me of her." Ahhh, the classic that was Leslie Nielsen.

WDWFREAK53

RISKY! and AvLand isnt ? Star Wars Risky? Dont know what attrations you could build? Shoot, most of the people on this board could put together a reasonable line up. Heck, you could theme a drinking water foutian themed Star Wars and people woould be setting thier AFP...(see what I did there...new WDWMagic acronym... Advanced Fastpass) to just drink there. Star War fans are rabid. Have you been in a toy store lately? Every corner you turn you see a product with Star Wars on it. Not one thing Avatar....nada.

Risk? I respect your opinion....I really do, Everybody knows who Mark Hamill is and I dont think he ever played in anything else of substance yet I still know who he is after what almost thirty years. If it wasnt for this board I would have known what those blue cat people were. Couldnt name ONE characters name...not one. How many Star Wars characters can you name. Star Wars is in the very fiber of our culture.

Financially AvLand couldnt be more risky. Everyone mentions....well if they do it right...If it is an immersive themed land....and you have faith in TDO to deliver this....why? Even if they only built what you mentioned it would be a success. IMHO there is very little that you could consider even remotely a slam dunk when it comes to AvLand....I tell you what start a poll....Two choices......1 AvLand.....2 Star Wars Land and see what results you get.

Obviously those results would have Star Wars winning as if Avatarland wasn't even an option...I'm not talking about what people "WANT," I'm talking about how to go about it.

Avatar took place in an area that generally looked the same. It was all on one planet. Yes, it's risky but for a completely different reason than what I meant by Star Wars being risky. Avatar can all look the same with some iconic "landscapes" from the movie and make completely unique attractions that really don't have to come straight from the film. You can design rides around those unique landscapes.

What I meant about Star Wars being risky is that if you take those attraction lineup ideas and plop them down next to each other, they'll stand on their own...but will they stand as a "cohesive land?" One of the big issues with DHS is that you don't get that "land" feeling and it's just streets with random attractions popped in. IMO, the only "land" that feels immersive is Sunset Blvd...with the Tower looming in the distance. RnR is way off to the side and you can't see it until you're basically at the cross-street. Star Wars' fanbase is so loyal that you have a strong chance of disappointment if not implemented well. Look at the prequels. I would say that the prequels resonate with the younger audience moreso than the originals do because of their "flashy colors" and better effects...even down to the way the Jedi fight. If you look at the originals, the lightsaber duels were very slow, methodic, and strategic and almost seem as if the lightsabers are "heavy." (Notice they usually are holding it with two hands like a broad sword.) The prequels made the Jedi out to be martial artists.

So, Disney is a business...
What makes Disney money? Merchandising! Toys!
So, you'll definitely want to include some prequel stuff to sell more toys...and to get the young ones to say, "Take me to the Star Wars land!" Doing prequel stuff is a necessity (and I think most will agree with it). There are many people that don't like the Prequels. So, you have a land with prequel stuff, original series stuff, Episode VII stuff...and now you have a land that represents different times, locations, and likes/dislikes amongst your fanbase. Personally, I'd much rather see a Star Warsland...although, I do see the POTENTIAL for an Avatarland. I just want to see it done right and I just can't see how it can touch on the things the fans want to see in a single land. I want it BIGGER! It truly needs at least 2-3 lands to an entire park.

jt04

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

Right on, Al.

Pffffft. Since when does Al Lutz care about what is best for WDW? NEVER, that is when. He simply is worried Avatar could dazzle by using more cutting edge tech than CarsLand has and even surpass the tech of FJ or anything else Uni is cooking up to the north.

Some of you are fooling yourselves but what is new?

erasure fan1

Star Wars' fanbase is so loyal that you have a strong chance of disappointment if not implemented well.
That is very true. Just like Disney, peoples expectations of the brand are extremely high. Thats why even when something is good for either brand, it gets criticized by a lot of the fan base. I have no doubt that if any company could pull off a star wars land it would be Disney. If Disney really wanted to, a cohesive star wars land wouldnt be an issue. The question is, would the bean counters give the resources.

Look at the prequels. I would say that the prequels resonate with the younger audience moreso than the originals do because of their "flashy colors" and better effects...even down to the way the Jedi fight. If you look at the originals, the lightsaber duels were very slow, methodic, and strategic and almost seem as if the lightsabers are "heavy." (Notice they usually are holding it with two hands like a broad sword.) The prequels made the Jedi out to be martial artists.
This is very true as well. Both my kids love the prequels. I hate to say that my son liked Jar Jar :eek:. Both kids love the originals too but seem to gravitate
to the prequels. So if they did a land you would need the prequels in some form to appease everyone. I see what you are saying about the light sabers but that was done for a reason. Lucas had said he wanted to show the Jedi at the top of their game, the prime of the Jedi. You see it as a progression with Luke as well.

John

That is very true. Just like Disney, peoples expectations of the brand are extremely high. Thats why even when something is good for either brand, it gets criticized by a lot of the fan base. I have no doubt that if any company could pull off a star wars land it would be Disney. If Disney really wanted to, a cohesive star wars land wouldnt be an issue. The question is, would the bean counters give the resources.

This is very true as well. Both my kids love the prequels. I hate to say that my son liked Jar Jar :eek:. Both kids love the originals too but seem to gravitate
to the prequels. So if they did a land you would need the prequels in some form to appease everyone. I see what you are saying about the light sabers but that was done for a reason. Lucas had said he wanted to show the Jedi at the top of their game, the prime of the Jedi. You see it as a progression with Luke as well.

I agree with both of you on these points. As we see here Disney/Star War fans are pretty particular when it comes to thier parks/movies. but I think you run that RISK with just about anything you do. I totally get the notion about a cohesive landscape and enviroment. I just think that it wouldnt be that difficult. The Star Wars setting takes place on unknown planets.....they could just about do anything and we wouldnt have nothing to compare it to. Some of the movie scenes take place in a desert enviroment....ala Cars...Not to mention how much Disney loves thier kids play areas...I could see really cool things with that. Attraction/rides to me are no brainers. I could invision live street shows with Darth Vader having a light saber battle with luke an Co. M&G's ? forget a' bout it....Star Wars weekend could become Star Wars month. You could see many hard ticket events. I mean people would come from all over the world to experience it. It would become the Mecca of all Star Wars fans. (BTW I am not one of these people). Both AVLand and SWLand are both risk if you want to look at it that way. Let me ask you this....they build a AvLand and dont pull it off....how many people will say....they should have built SW.....flip the script and they build SW....how many people will say....they should have built Avatar?
Really, It would be really hard for them to screw up SW. It is just to easy.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Obviously those results would have Star Wars winning as if Avatarland wasn't even an option...I'm not talking about what people "WANT," I'm talking about how to go about it.

Avatar took place in an area that generally looked the same. It was all on one planet. Yes, it's risky but for a completely different reason than what I meant by Star Wars being risky. Avatar can all look the same with some iconic "landscapes" from the movie and make completely unique attractions that really don't have to come straight from the film. You can design rides around those unique landscapes.

What I meant about Star Wars being risky is that if you take those attraction lineup ideas and plop them down next to each other, they'll stand on their own...but will they stand as a "cohesive land?" One of the big issues with DHS is that you don't get that "land" feeling and it's just streets with random attractions popped in. IMO, the only "land" that feels immersive is Sunset Blvd...with the Tower looming in the distance. RnR is way off to the side and you can't see it until you're basically at the cross-street. Star Wars' fanbase is so loyal that you have a strong chance of disappointment if not implemented well. Look at the prequels. I would say that the prequels resonate with the younger audience moreso than the originals do because of their "flashy colors" and better effects...even down to the way the Jedi fight. If you look at the originals, the lightsaber duels were very slow, methodic, and strategic and almost seem as if the lightsabers are "heavy." (Notice they usually are holding it with two hands like a broad sword.) The prequels made the Jedi out to be martial artists.

So, Disney is a business...
What makes Disney money? Merchandising! Toys!
So, you'll definitely want to include some prequel stuff to sell more toys...and to get the young ones to say, "Take me to the Star Wars land!" Doing prequel stuff is a necessity (and I think most will agree with it). There are many people that don't like the Prequels. So, you have a land with prequel stuff, original series stuff, Episode VII stuff...and now you have a land that represents different times, locations, and likes/dislikes amongst your fanbase. Personally, I'd much rather see a Star Warsland...although, I do see the POTENTIAL for an Avatarland. I just want to see it done right and I just can't see how it can touch on the things the fans want to see in a single land. I want it BIGGER! It truly needs at least 2-3 lands to an entire park.

I understand what you are saying about cohesion, but it is really any different then the Fantasyland expansion? We have BatB, LM, and Snow White all right next to each other in a themed environment and nonone really has a problem with the fact that you can walk a couple yards from Belle's village and you are suddenly in front of Prince Eric's castle. No reason you couldn't have three Star Wars environments in close proximity to each other like this.

twebber55

im for star wars expansion i just worry too much will over do it...i mean an expanded land would be great along with star wars weekends, would be enough in my book

WDWFREAK53

I understand what you are saying about cohesion, but it is really any different then the Fantasyland expansion? We have BatB, LM, and Snow White all right next to each other in a themed environment and nonone really has a problem with the fact that you can walk a couple yards from Belle's village and you are suddenly in front of Prince Eric's castle. No reason you couldn't have three Star Wars environments in close proximity to each other like this.

No, but there also isn't a narrow theme. Fantasyland means anything "Fantasy" based. Much like Toontown, Ariel and Beast could live next to each other. (Think of the show Once Upon a Time).

Star Wars is a world...all one world...not multiple stories.

Again, I'd rather see a Star Wars land over and Avatarland but I just want it done right...not rushed and just random attractions tossed next to each other with no rhyme or reason.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Pffffft. Since when does Al Lutz care about what is best for WDW? NEVER, that is when. He simply is worried Avatar could dazzle by using more cutting edge tech than CarsLand has and even surpass the tech of FJ or anything else Uni is cooking up to the north.

Some of you are fooling yourselves but what is new?
Dude.... Avland is a mess. There's a reason why the model was so indistinct and vague.
Right now they aren't even sure how many attractions will be built. Let alone what.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom