AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

misterID

I've said it before, but Pandora would have to be an indoor pavilion, like a giant dome. No way it can be an outdoor land. I'm thinking like The Land pavilion.

Patricia Melton

I've said it before, but Pandora would have to be an indoor pavilion, like a giant dome. No way it can be an outdoor land. I'm thinking like The Land pavilion.

Can you tell me why you think this?

I'd love to hear more from you on why you think it needs to be inside.

How do you think that would work?

misterID

Well, considering it would have to take place in an alien rain forest, with jaw-dropping views of different planets, moons, the floating islands and stuff, it could all be accomplished inside a giant sphere with an overhead screen (or several individual screens) with a 3D effect, along with optical illusion effects/sets for the floating islands. Everything, including the enviorment, could easily be controlled and the land would be completely immersive. I just don't see how realistic or immersive it would be as an outdoor land.

CinematicFusion

The floating rocks outside will be created using steel structure. Steel legs will support a steel ball. Inside the legging of the steel structure will be a water system.

The outside Of the structure will then be molded, crafted ( just like RSR and little mermaid structures) into vines holding a large rock. Giving the illusion of a floating rock held in place only by vines.
To add to the illusion, water falls will stream of the rocks. Plants, trees, and grass, moss will be placed on the rocks (just like little mermaid).
It's going to look cool. Not sure if you walk through the land or if you fly through it with a new attraction.

ChrisM

The floating rocks outside will be created using steel structure. Steel legs will support a steel ball. Inside the legging of the steel structure will be a water system.

The outside Of the structure will then be molded, crafted ( just like RSR and little mermaid structures) into vines holding a large rock. Giving the illusion of a floating rock held in place only by vines.
To add to the illusion, water falls will stream of the rocks. Plants, trees, and grass, moss will be placed on the rocks (just like little mermaid).
It's going to look cool. Not sure if you walk through the land or if you fly through it with a new attraction.

Is this conjecture or do you actually know something about the plans?

NoChesterHester

That is pretty specific info. I hope you actually have seen something and not just guessing.

If you are right, that will be pretty striking.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Let's see.. what better way to do things like..

control the environment...
control what the sun looks like (nothing says foreign world like different moons or suns..)
control the plant life...
place things above you without worry about weather limits
etc, etc, etc

Prototype82

More like Mexico at Epcot. I would imagine it would be night time. Who's to say some of the pavilion won't be outside? Or perhaps a large amount of it will be outside but the queues for the rides are indoors sets?

Patricia Melton

Let's see.. what better way to do things like..

control the environment...
control what the sun looks like (nothing says foreign world like different moons or suns..)
control the plant life...
place things above you without worry about weather limits
etc, etc, etc

Well, they do build dome stadiums and things. I bet they could build "Pandora - the World of Avatar" indoors if they wanted. Then those floating mountains could be hung from the ceiling and it could always be nighttime inside there so that the fluorescent lights could always be on with those nighttime plants.

But I wonder if Disney would want to have an indoor "land"...think of the air conditioning expense!

Beholder

Perhaps to eliminate the need for one, massive show building, they could spread Pandora out into various "environmental" buildings, or "zones". Each could contain an attraction based on a different aspect of life on Pandora. The Na'vi, the plant life, the animals and whatever Cameron has in store in the sequels. The outside (our world) could contain themed gift shops, restaurants, and whatever else they would want.

I'm really anxious to see what direction this all takes. I hope they (TDO/WDI/?) takes advantage of the possibilities.

Magenta Panther

I could really see an E ticket ride come to Avatarland so that it competes with Potter. I am all for a unique experience that involves the sensation of flying, I hope TDO has their A game on for this land.

I respect your opinion, but in my opinion, there is no way any kind of Avatar land could ever compete with Potter. Avatar doesn't have the cross-generational appeal of Potter. It doesn't have a humongously successful book series behind it. All it has is JUST ONE MOVIE so far, and the movie's appeal was based mostly on visuals. None of the characters in the movie are at all memorable as personalities; they don't even have the charisma of Harry, who was a pretty bland dude in the books (thank goodness for Daniel Radcliffe, who managed to make Harry seem at least somewhat believable onscreen.) There is no MAGIC, of ANY kind, in Avatar. Disney might as well have bought the rights to James Cameron's Titanic insofar as anything Cameron has created would fit into a Disney park. (The sinking of the Titanic, in fact, might make for a much more interesting ride!)

Patricia Melton

I have to say again that I am not a fan of Avatar the movie (which I think was dumb)...but I am more and more excited by the many possibilities that "Pandora - the World of Avatar" has. It could be incredibly cool.

I am also very excited by the fact that DCA's remodeling was such a hit and that Disney sees that if it spends money on a well themed environment that people will flock to it in droves. I think this proves to the C-suite at TDO that being cheap when building something is not a good long term move. DCA was built on the cheap and it was a flop until they spent real money on it and made it well-themed and immersive. Now it's a huge hit.

I seriously doubt that TDO's C-suite would win arguments where they'd try to go cheap with Pandora or with any other project in the near future. If they did that, the project would be compared to DCA's Carsland and BVS and when it flops those executives would have Hell to pay for going cheap when DCA proves that does not work.

I think DCA's success will have ripples and ramifications or years to come that will bring many, many good things to the parks that we can't even begin to imagine.

I think a New Golden Age for Disney has begun.

Patricia Melton

I respect your opinion, but in my opinion, there is no way any kind of Avatar land could ever compete with Potter. Avatar doesn't have the cross-generational appeal of Potter. It doesn't have a humongously successful book series behind it. All it has is JUST ONE MOVIE so far, and the movie's appeal was based mostly on visuals. None of the characters in the movie are at all memorable as personalities; they don't even have the charisma of Harry, who was a pretty bland dude in the books (thank goodness for Daniel Radcliffe, who managed to make Harry seem at least somewhat believable onscreen.) There is no MAGIC, of ANY kind, in Avatar. Disney might as well have bought the rights to James Cameron's Titanic insofar as anything Cameron has created would fit into a Disney park. (The sinking of the Titanic, in fact, might make for a much more interesting ride!)

Avatar is not meant to compete with Potter.

The unannounced but upcoming remodeling of DHS is what is meant to compete with Potter -- a complete remodel of DHS on par with the DCA remodel. THAT is what is going to take on Potter.

While it's true that Avatar was bought by Disney to keep Universal from getting that too, I don't think Disney ever felt that Avatar could rival Potter. Disney didn't want, however, an Islands of Adventure that replaced Jurassic Park with Avatarland (which, if you think of it, would have been fairly easy to repurpose all the old Jurassic Park rides with Avatar animals instead of the dinosaurs).

cheezbat

Avatar is not meant to compete with Potter.

The unannounced but upcoming remodeling of DHS is what is meant to compete with Potter -- a complete remodel of DHS on par with the DCA remodel. THAT is what is going to take on Potter.

While it's true that Avatar was bought by Disney to keep Universal from getting that too, I don't think Disney ever felt that Avatar could rival Potter. Disney didn't want, however, an Islands of Adventure that replaced Jurassic Park with Avatarland (which, if you think of it, would have been fairly easy to repurpose all the old Jurassic Park rides with Avatar animals instead of the dinosaurs).

While that all sounds plausible, it's not. Universal passed on Avatar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom