AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

CastleBound

This guy will surely be there!

stitchcastle

A billion dollar shrug, but anyways. Far be it for me to think a movie that had worldwide appeal would attract interest to a theme park that has worldwide appeal.

Also, I think you're moving the goalposts in your argument about the "doesn't belong in AK", but maybe I did miss your point, so I'll just leave it here.

I've stated numerous times that I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were being built in EPCOT. You are missing the point.

Plus if you're just focusing all your attention on the money count rather than actual perception then you're just as good as the bean counters who championed this acquisition.

Lunamis

Ughhh

The problem with a lot of the new Disney additions, to me, is the lack of themes that are classic. FLE works for me since enough time has passed since those movies debuted that they've become themes unto themself (The Little Mermaid, BaTB, etc). Cars and Avatar are still new and their appeal is not as wide spread.

Yea, I get it, Avatar is a huge movie deal BUT it's still too new to me to feel it's a be-all-end-all addition to a theme park- especially Animal kingdom! Studios? Fine, it should reflect popular culture. AK? No- it should reflect reality through animals or the way real cultures interpret those animals.

I'm a little disappointed Disney took the Universal route of buying a franchise and building attractions around it rather than create something you know, well, Disney.

I'll enjoy it, sure. But I will not be inspired by it like Adventureland or the Epcot pavilions, or EE...

Figments Friend

Ok. I am shocked. But I did say when the movie came out that Disney could do well with it in the theme parks. I need to find the thread. But how is it that NONE of this was leaked??

First: I think we know why ALL the big wigs were in Animal Kingdom last month. It's all becoming pretty clear.

Second: The Avatar World is going to be massive and the story is going to get better as it goes on. Filming starts next year for part 2 and 3 (they are filming them back to back) There is a TON of potential here.

Third: This is HUGE news for Disney fans. This is what my all time favorite park needs. And Pandora will fit perfectly. This is what we have been waiting for, folks.

I am still in shock after I read this. I honestly can't contain myself. I hope this is the start of a WDW Renaissance that we have been hearing about. I just walked in the door from a 7 day WDW trip and need to take this all in. Phew. Thanks Disney! You keep winning my heart.

Agree..well said. And i also just returned home late last night after a visit, and being on this website when the news broke was a exciting post-visit moment. I am very excited about this news..and the forthcoming project.

YESSSS!!!!!

CrescentLake

God, whats with you people? We've been waiting years for an expansion of AK, years for a Potter Swatter, and years for a real E-ticket. And we're going to get ALL OF THAT.

I personally thought Avatar was mediocre at best. The story was the same and the acting was bland. But the visual had me salivating. I mean my God, what they could do with this land is unfathomable.

Everyone is entitled to your opinion, but I have no respect for the people here who just constantly hate on those who are excited about this.

And also, who the hell said this would be good for Epcot? Are you high?

ChrisM

For people with taste, "Avatar" is just as bad as "Twilight."

Mindless dreck with a delusional fanbase.

And yet to go to a park with Mickey Mouse as the mascot. Pretty highbrow stuff, that.

And I wonder, what is the popular definition of "Mickey Mouse"? Could it be, "Substandard, poorly executed or organized. Amateurish."

stitchcastle

I don't get the argument that Potterland is "better because people can name the characters from the movie." The whole area is the town of Hogsmeade come to life, not "here are Harry Potter and Hermione's houses. You can meet them over there." The only times you see them are a few moments in the ride.

This Avatar-land is also likely to be focused about the LAND and not the characters. It's going to make an absolutely beautiful environment to see in real life. The story of the movie and whether or not you liked it isn't what is going to make this cool.

Yeah but will an Avatar land stand up to a Harry Potter land? I don't think so.

andre85

Know what I think is sad from this expansion..it's that Disney has to go to an outside source/third party to come up with an idea to boost attendance in a park.
It used to be Disney's own ideas and concepts were enough and people came simply because it was Disney. They lost sight of that and now we're seeing the poor decision to include Avatared into AK.

Star Tours, Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror, Rockin' Roller Coaster with Aerosmith, Indiana Jones...

TinkerBell9988

Know what I think is sad from this expansion..it's that Disney has to go to an outside source/third party to come up with an idea to boost attendance in a park.
It used to be Disney's own ideas and concepts were enough and people came simply because it was Disney. They lost sight of that and now we're seeing the poor decision to include Avatared into AK.

Thank you. That's the core of my opinion.

MotherOfBirds

I've always wondered why they couldn't come up with something original for an attraction. PotC was a ride built on an original idea, but it is beloved for what it is and still stands as such. LATER they went in and made it into a successful movie series and they each did very well on their own (Don't start me on the Jack Sparrow additions, though). I'd rather see them come up with something new instead of trying to repackage and resell an older property. Avatar has a lot of potential and I have no doubt it will look amazing, but it wouldn't have been my first choice.

aladdin2007

God, whats with you people? We've been waiting years for an expansion of AK, years for a Potter Swatter, and years for a real E-ticket. And we're going to get ALL OF THAT.

I personally thought Avatar was mediocre at best. The story was the same and the acting was bland. But the visual had me salivating. I mean my God, what they could do with this land is unfathomable.

Everyone is entitled to your opinion, but I have no respect for the people here who just constantly hate on those who are excited about this.

LOL agree, no avatar in Epcot! :brick: but to those who mentioned Twilight, wow now that would be, believe it or not, a mega draw with people coming from all over the world for a twilight land and attractions. But of course this doesnt fit in any Disney park really, but it would/couldve been a the real answer to Potter. Avatar, eh. But will see what they end up doing. I think and hope they go the more natural themed route with nature instead of sci-fi.

GLaDOS

Who cares that it may not stand up to Potter if it's a great land with great attractions?

Can't people enjoy both freaking lands?

Or are we too juvenile to be able to enjoy both resorts that compete against each other?

Fact of the matter is, if it wasn't for Potter, we probably wouldn't be getting this. And since Universal knew Disney wouldn't go without a response, we're getting more Potter, a new Spider-man film, Despicable Me, and Transformers.

It's a good time to love Orlando.

cynic710

we are now best friends...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom