AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

baymenxpac

That's my core issue with the idea. Avatar misses the point to Animal Kingdom whose main focus is our relationship to animals.

Sure Avatar has these great messages of conservation, education and respect to nature, but that's an abstract idea that follows the core beliefs of EPCOT more than it does DAK.

about our relationship with animals real and imagined. don't forget that.

i see the difference between the yeti and the avatar creatures, but i wouldn't say it's a gigantic stretch.

PirateFrank

I'm really going to be interested to see how they handle the transition to this from the other lands. The very fact that Pandora is not on Earth presents a massive challenge to Joe and Co. How do you transition from Asia to another planet?!

Easy..make it a 2 way ride.....visitors will get on a windowless space transport (really a train) which takes them to 'Pandora'....they already have a similar concept in the very same park....granted, it would have to be a very high volume 'transport'

Speaking more generally, you guys that are panning this idea are freaking nuts....the potential for this land is limitless...limitless....way to go WDW!

You're either haters or lack the vision to see this potential..

CastleBound

I'm really going to be interested to see how they handle the transition to this from the other lands. The very fact that Pandora is not on Earth presents a massive challenge to Joe and Co. How do you transition from Asia to another planet?!

I know it would never happen, but it would be pretty awesome if there was an entrance to a space journey ride that took you to Pandora. Once you exit the ride, you would be in the new land. That would be really cool, but not very likely.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Well, that's very mature.

I'll sit back and enjoy all the new stuff Universal is going to build as well as this new land while you folks have a ing contest on whether Universal or Disney is better or Avatar or Potter, or whatever you need to have a ing contest about.

Um...I was being sarcastic about the "no we can't" part.....I think that we can, and that competition is nothing but good. Universal is going to force WDI to raise the bar on this project.

Sorry if that didn't come across right.

stitchcastle

about our relationship with animals real and imagined. don't forget that.

i see the difference between the yeti and the avatar creatures, but i wouldn't say it's a gigantic stretch.

it's a gigantic stretch, the Yeti is something that entire belief systems have been centered around in the Himalayas for hundreds if not thousands of years. I bet you can't even give me the proper names of the creatures in Avatar without having to google them.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Easy..make it a 2 way ride.....visitors will get on a windowless space transport (really a train) which takes them to 'Pandora'....they already have a similar concept in the very same park....granted, it would have to be a very high volume 'transport'

Impossible.

MoxHair

Not really sure on the transition but I had an idea that the entrance to the land is a the military/space depot place that they go to when they first arrive on Pandora.

GLaDOS

Um...I was being sarcastic about the "no we can't" part.....I think that we can, and that competition is nothing but good. Universal is going to force WDI to raise the bar on this project.

Sorry if that didn't come across right.

Ah, I see. Long day of work, sometimes my sarcasm meter is thrown off.

JediMasterMatt

This announcement got me to actually sign in and post for the first time in a long while. My thoughts:

- Fantastic franchise to pickup for Disney for all their markets
- Superb fit of a movie franchise into Animal Kingdom. Avatar logically fits into the ecology/conservation message of the park. Actually provides a better integration of potential thrill rides into the conservation theme than even Beastly Kingdom could've done.
- Making an announcement this early will likely have trickle down effects with Potterland expansion and USF (Transformers?) being announced sooner than expected.
- Avatar expansion will require additional hours to be added to the park, which will be a win for all of the Resort. Anything to gain back the precious nighttime visits to a park that so few have enjoyed after sunset will be invaluable. Animal Kingdom at night is magnificent.
- As many have posted, the confirmation of which expansion pad will be very telling in the types of attractions it will contain.
- If the Asia expansion pad is targeted, it would likely mean a focus on indoor attractions as loud rides (roller-coasters, launched rides, etc.) will be too close to the animals and it has previously been said that noise limitations are something that is factored into time constraints for putting stress on them. If this expansion pad is used, I could easily see Pandora at night being the focus done indoors. Similar to the Mermaid section at Tokyo Disney Sea.
- If Camp Minnie-Mickey is used, then coasters and more outdoor noisy attractions are in play.
- James Cameron is well known to be very controlling and a perfectionist. This is what has caused so many of his films to go well over budget. He is also well known for being someone who gets absorbed into the "tech" required to push the limits for his films. For Titanic, he dove (pun intended) head first into the realm of deep sea photography and actually helped design brand new cameras and submarines to film what he wanted. For Avatar, he was hands on in designing the camera and lenses used along with the special motion capture system that he needed. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him get very hands on in the creation of the attractions for this expansion and we may see special ride technology created to custom fit what he has in mind.

Honestly, the only downside I can forsee with today's announcement is if it becomes the only focus for WDW and TDO after FLE is completed.

stitch2008

Yes it fits because its focus are on animals that have shaped the imagination of entire cultures and myths. Even the old continental theme of AK, it fits with. Asia, Africa, Dinoland - North America, BK - Europe.

Okay? But you know it can be argued that Avatar is a story about conservation(somewhere in that movie), which is kinda the message of DAK.

aeillill

Oh....I'm glad to see that AK getting some development but this wouldn't be have ever been my choice. I would have preferred something original for Disney, not based on the latest "it" movie.

Maybe I'll eat my words, but right now I'm not very excited for this.

cynic710

this debate has been fun, i gotta leave now but before i go, my closing statement...

i am excited, not because i am a fan of the movie but i am a fan of what WDI can deliver with a canvas as beautiful as pandora. I withoutout a shadow of doubt believe that WDI will create a transition into the environment that emets the demands of the overall park theme, enhance the environment to be a spectacular array of (fake) yet amazing new plant life, animals and experiences that only the fictional world of pandora can contain. I feel that there is promise for great ride experiences as well as shops and eateries. I also feel there is a message within the movie that AK is part of, and thats the destruction of nature for our ever -growing expansion of mankind, which was a big factor in the movie. I not only believe we will see and experience pandora but also futuristic and new architecture from mankind of the future, all for our enjoyment.
I am not against an outside party being part of the world, just as indiana jones, star wars, aerosmith and the twilight zone are and represent some of the world's best attractions. no doubt this was a great move by disney, and i very much look forward to the progress of the greatest place on earth.

that is all

col

Can't say I'm excited to hear this. I didn't enjoy the film at all and found it to be ridiculously over hyped. I'd much rather see them develop in-house properties, though I suppose this must make business sense at some level.

i agree! i didnt enjoy the movie either, it was too over hyped. i really cant understand what the big deal is about it.

Mr.MouseFan

Wow. Not a piece of concept art has been shown and yet people hate it already?

First the ing and moaning that FLE was underwhelming and that TDO doesn't invest in WDW like it should. Now we get this announcement and people are at the ready with their pitchforks and torches to storm TDO offices over a project they have literally only just announced.

Fascinating.

stitchcastle

It's funny how everyone's justifying Avatar's inclusion to Animal Kingdom at face value without actually digging into the deeper messages and meanings from the movie. Looking at that, it's not a stretch to say that the philosophies and overall plot of the film is better suited to EPCOT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom