AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Here is info on the Avatar Sequels as well since these will have an impact on the park as well. ------

From Entertainment Weekly -

James Cameron delivered major Avatar news during a Reddit Ask Me Anything session on Saturday, announcing that scripts for the next three films will be completed within six weeks.
“The second, third, and fourth films all go into production simultaneously,” he wrote. “They’re essentially all in pre-production now because we are designing creatures, settings, and characters that span all three films. And we should be finished with all three scripts within the next, I would say, six weeks.”

But Cameron, who penned the original Avatar screenplay, isn’t going it alone this time. Josh Friedman, Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver, and Shane Salerno are collaborating with him on this massive undertaking.

“There’s always pressure, whether it’s a new film or whether it’s a sequel, to entertain and amaze an audience. I’ve felt that pressure my entire career, so there’s nothing new there,” Cameron added. “The biggest pressure I feel right now is cutting out things I love to get the film down to a length that is affordable. There hasn’t been a problem finding new and wonderful things to include in the movie.”

Production on Avatar 2 is slated to begin this fall. Principals Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, and Stephen Lang are returning for the sequels with hopes that the next films can be as successful as the 2009 original. Avatar grossed nearly $2.8 billion worldwide and won Oscars for cinematography, visual effects, and art direction. Cameron hopes to continue pushing creative and technological boundaries with the franchise.

“I believe all movies should be made in 3-D, forever, but the projection needs to be better and brighter,” he wrote during his AMA. “I want people to see in the movie theaters what I am seeing in my perfectly calibrated screening room and people aren’t seeing that. Larger formats. I’d love to see screens get bigger.”

The Avatar sequels are scheduled for release December 2016 through 2018.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
“I believe all movies should be made in 3-D, forever, but the projection needs to be better and brighter,” he wrote during his AMA. “I want people to see in the movie theaters what I am seeing in my perfectly calibrated screening room and people aren’t seeing that. Larger formats. I’d love to see screens get bigger.”

The Avatar sequels are scheduled for release December 2016 through 2018.
How I translate this into Avatarland talk:
1) The main ride is almost definitely going to be in 3D.
2) The video quality and projection will be significantly better than what we currently see in rides.
3) The screens will be really big.

Worst case scenario it's Soarin 2.0 with better quality, 3D video and really big screens. That's a pretty good minimum starting point IMHO.

twebber55

How I translate this into Avatarland talk:
1) The main ride is almost definitely going to be in 3D.
2) The video quality and projection will be significantly better than what we currently see in rides.
3) The screens will be really big.

Worst case scenario it's Soarin 2.0 with better quality, 3D video and really big screens. That's a pretty good minimum starting point IMHO.
agree and we ll get significantly more movement...I for one actually like the idea of having two solid rides over what cars land offers one great ride and two decent (at best) rides

Kman101

I don't think it's been made 100% clear. It SEEMS to be just about the forest and how the plants are magical and wonderful. I hope it's more than that, because the art (which I know could but hit or miss) shows a gorgeous boat ride, but if it's just living with the land Pandora style ... IDK. And I like Living with the Land.

RSoxNo1

"real floating mountains" I'm guessing these will be in the supposed 3D ride.
The land is expected to have floating mountains as well.
r-1381586191-avatar-artwork-animal-kingdom-5.jpg

twebber55

Doesn't this model of the floating mountains look like it will be bigger than the Tree of Life? I don't think that they should put anything in the park that will dwarf the ToL.
great point
the TOL is 144' and it certainly looks like this is taller than that...to me the floating mountains represent the biggest questions for this expansion

danlb_2000

Premium Member
A while back I did a calculation of how high the mountains would be based on the picture of the model...

"Here's my estimate... The person in the model nearest the mountain is 1/4" high and the mountain is 6" high. To make things easy lets estimate let's say that the person is 6' tall, so that would the mountain 144' high which would make it the same height as the Tree of Life. Obviously there could be mistakes in this calculation but it seems likely that the mountains will be over 100' tall."

twebber55

A while back I did a calculation of how high the mountains would be based on the picture of the model...

"Here's my estimate... The person in the model nearest the mountain is 1/4" high and the mountain is 6" high. To make things easy lets estimate let's say that the person is 6' tall, so that would the mountain 144' high which would make it the same height as the Tree of Life. Obviously there could be mistakes in this calculation but it seems likely that the mountains will be over 100' tall."
haha I remember that post

JungleTrekFan

Doesn't this model of the floating mountains look like it will be bigger than the Tree of Life? I don't think that they should put anything in the park that will dwarf the ToL.
Expedition Everest is 199 feet. I think that the floating mountains will probably be in the 150 ft range if i was to guess. Just like Everest though this will be in a complete corner of the park so you won’t be able to compare the height of the two when near the Tree of Life, and i don’t think there are any plans currently with a pathway that is high enough to view the Tree of Life from Pandora, just like you could’t from Camp Minnie Mickey.

MOXOMUMD

Expedition Everest is 199 feet. I think that the floating mountains will probably be in the 150 ft range if i was to guess. Just like Everest though this will be in a complete corner of the park so you won’t be able to compare the height of the two when near the Tree of Life, and i don’t think there are any plans currently with a pathway that is high enough to view the Tree of Life from Pandora, just like you could’t from Camp Minnie Mickey.
Basically unless you are actively doing the math, a guest wouldn't think they were higher than the TOL, if they are that is.

JungleTrekFan

Screen Shot 2014-04-16 at 10.51.44 AM.jpg

In this photo from the D23 video it has what appears to be the same “mountain” but instead of being one column by itself it now has connecting mountains, are these the same or other mountains?

Also from the same screen shot there appears to be the map of Pandora, but it is very blurry so i tried to enhance the coloration and sharpness to distinguish any details. From what i see the light blue is water and beige is the major pathway that goes from discovery island all around the land and appears to go north possibly up to Africa. Im not sure if the deep blue/purple areas are attractions or maybe the large F&B area. I wish the camera turned that direction and we would have the site plan already lol
Screen Shot 2014-04-16 at 10.51.29 AM.jpg

Edit: From what i can see it is this large floating mountain that is in the center of the land which is the big green dot next to the very light blue area which is the water feature that is in front of it. The large army style F&B area or backstage hanger, what ever that building is, is the long purple one i stated earlier. Then the attraction is in the mountain range behind the floating mountain which is in another picture or is the purple section on the south west part of the land. What I’m confused about is in the leaked theater plans one has the line on the side of the building and then another has the boat attraction in the same place, which means one or the other has to be above the other or thats a mistake.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom