AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The debate now is the origin of the fake animals in question. Yes, there are traditional fake animals derived from ancient mythology, and that's all well and good. The problem is Disney seemingly decided that since IOA opened, that they didn't want to use many of these animals.

More importantly, if the movie Avatar didn't exist, and Disney announced today that they're teaming up with James Cameron to experience the flora and fauna of this mythical land called Pandora, we would all be on board. Is a Banshee any less relevant as a mythical animal as a Lava Monster? How many of us wanted to see Mysterious Island?

Ultimately, if this is well executed, the strength of the thematic tie or the lineup of fake animals is going to almost be secondary. Guests are willing to forgive thematic stretches if the experience itself is enjoyable.

Lava Monsters are real. Look it up. Gee whiz. The people on these forums....

:cautious:

ChrisM

I thought that pandora was one of the moons of a gas giant. And I remember reading somewhere that it is like the fourth planet from the sun

Pandora is a moon of the blue gas giant planet, Polyphemus, which is the 4th planet orbiting Alpha Centauri A. Per the Avatar Wiki, at least.

Prototype82

Yes - if Avatar land is really going to be this interactive, immersive, and beautiful, Disney better have lots of money in the budget to maintain it.
The Amazing projection effect used for the enchanted rose must certainly be utilized for some creatures of some sort..... But now look at the state of the rose. I'm a little nervous about how rugged the effects are going to be...

dstrawn9889

i just saw the jack sparrow effects show at DHS, and i think the same projection style is used to place the skeleton crew on the walls, shadows of skeletons on the wall right behind lit candle-style lighting, and they are not bleached or discolored--- so i assume that the candle-lighting was also projected. sorry, no pics, as it was the preshow for the living seas intoned, 'and it rained, and rained, the deluge.'

neoshinok

Not anything new, but James Cameron hosted an AMA on Reddit. There was one question about the new land.

[–]thewineburglar 128 points 19 hours ago

I am beyond excited to be able to step foot into Pandora. Any details you could share with us about the park expansion at Animal Kingdom in Walt Disney World? Even the tiniest detail would be awesome! Thanks for taking time to talk to us fans.
[–]jamescameronama[S] 216 points 18 hours ago

Well, Disney are doing a first-rate job designing it. It's going to be completely spectacular. It will be like being on Pandora. You will see real floating mountains. It's going to be a very magical experience just to be there and walk around. And the two rides will be absolute state of the art. But I don't how much they want to say about what those rides specifically will be, so I probably shouldn't say anymore than that. But from what I've seen so far, it will be amazing. I will be sad it's in Florida, because I won't be able to go a lot to it.

Here's the link for the full AMA:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/22uz4m/i_am_james_cameron_ama/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom