AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Bparso87

I also hear a lot of people say they don't like the movie but liked it in the theaters this is the only movie that I think lost its momentum on blu ray. Most movies get a cult following on DVD but this movie lost something from fans.

twebber55

I also hear a lot of people say they don't like the movie but liked it in the theaters this is the only movie that I think lost its momentum on blu ray. Most movies get a cult following on DVD but this movie lost something from fans.
here is one area we disagree
blue ray sales set records for one day and all time sales for avatar
tripling dark nights previous record which i included in one of the links
sounds like you hated the movie but will give the land/attraction a chance

Bparso87

N
here is one area we disagree
blue ray sales set records for one day and all time sales for avatar
tripling dark nights previous record which i included in one of the links
sounds like you hated the movie but will give the land/attraction a chance
Not talking about sales bc I bought it my self I think people see the flaws in the movie from the DVD r seeing it on fx. For a movie that set all the records I hear more negative then positive now don't you.

twebber55

N
Not talking about sales bc I bought it my self I think people see the flaws in the movie from the DVD r seeing it on fx. For a movie that set all the records I hear more negative then positive now don't you.
mainly what i hear is the political parts to it which i can understand

Bparso87

mainly what i hear is the political parts to it which i can understand
Yea I hear that to but if it was a good movie I can look past all that stuff I just think that the main thing that made the movie great in the visuals do not have the same feel on blu ray. U felt like u where there in IMAX but at home it is just another movie then you see the bad story and acting.

discos

I really think Disney should consider bringing the whole Beastly Kingdom idea back into play at AK; I know its very unlikely to happen but works. The whole Avatar idea fits the mythical creatures/dragons concept of BK. So you'll have one Avatar attraction/section of the land then Disney can go to work delivering original concepts for BK. I'm pretty sure for Avatarland Cameron and Disney are splitting the costs correct? So cameron can front the costs for the Avatar ride then the rest of BK Disney covers.

Padraig

It's funny, outside of the themepark blogs I never see this movie mentioned. It was the biggest movie in the world and then, poof, it's just disappeared from the popular consciousness. There may be the (very) occasional snide remark, regarding progress, on the sequels on the likes of Badassdigest or AICN, but otherwise nothing.

It's not hard to see why, it was an amazing technical achievement but the story, characters etc. were 2 dimensions short of the presentation - which is a shame, as the original treatment Cameron wrote had a lot of interesting ideas. Twebber55 points to the fact the 87% of top critics recommended it. The problem with the likes of rottentomatoes is that it's a binary interpretation of a recommendation; yes or no, with no subtlety in between. Going on that I'd have been a "recommend", purely based on the technical wizardry. I rented the Blu-ray shortly after it came out and watched maybe 30 minutes before I had to turn it off, without the big screen and glasses it was nothing.

I really wonder how Avatar as a brand will perform going forward (that's if the sequels ever get made). The movie performed as a curio, drawing people back to 3D for the first time in a generation. The only thing is that people's subsequent experiences have been so negative - no fault of the superior tech Cameron used - that the technology has been tainted e.g. I missed the early show of Iron-Man 3 on Saturday as the 2D was sold out and I refused to pay extra for an inferior experience. This coupled with the fact that no-one seems have anything invested in the characters would have me very worried if I were Disney.

Bparso87

It's funny, outside of the themepark blogs I never see this movie mentioned. It was the biggest movie in the world and then, poof, it's just disappeared from the popular consciousness. There may be the (very) occasional snide remark, regarding progress, on the sequels on the likes of Badassdigest or AICN, but otherwise nothing.

It's not hard to see why, it was an amazing technical achievement but the story, characters etc. were 2 dimensions short of the presentation - which is a shame, as the original treatment Cameron wrote had a lot of interesting ideas. Twebber55 points to the fact the 87% of top critics recommended it. The problem with the likes of rottentomatoes is that it's a binary interpretation of a recommendation; yes or no, with no subtlety in between. Going on that I'd have been a "recommend", purely based on the technical wizardry. I rented the Blu-ray shortly after it came out and watched maybe 30 minutes before I had to turn it off, without the big screen and glasses it was nothing.

I really wonder how Avatar as a brand will perform going forward (that's if the sequels ever get made). The movie performed as a curio, drawing people back to 3D for the first time in a generation. The only thing is that people's subsequent experiences have been so negative - no fault of the superior tech Cameron used - that the technology has been tainted e.g. I missed the early show of Iron-Man 3 on Saturday as the 2D was sold out and I refused to pay extra for an inferior experience. This coupled with the fact that no-one seems have anything invested in the characters would have me very worried if I were Disney.
My man hit the nail on the head.

twebber55

funny you mention it never gets brought up because two recent movies compared them selves to avatar
The Croods and life of pi
also i never see anything remotely negative about the movie except on this board (disney/theme park boards)

now why would two movies compare themselves to avatar when it is so unpopular? must be pretty dumb on their part

once again its all about the quality that disney produces...i guess i could give all the FACTS again about the popularity of the movie but it will just get spun

how about we give this a chance and when it opens then judge maybe share some open mindedness

sorry im just over these same arguments

WDWFREAK53

Yea I hear that to but if it was a good movie I can look past all that stuff I just think that the main thing that made the movie great in the visuals do not have the same feel on blu ray. U felt like u where there in IMAX but at home it is just another movie then you see the bad story and acting.

100%. Can't that be expected though? Think about it...you're not getting the full experience?
Pandora was the biggest character in the film and the one thing that most people took as a positive from the movie (even the haters). You bring it home and you're only getting half of the character.

Take Pirates of the Caribbean...Johnny Depp absolutely made that movie and had somebody else played Jack Sparrow, arguably, the movie wouldn't have been as much of a success. Imagine you buy the DVD and Johnny Depp's portrayal got watered down to a point that it was no different than any other actor. Would you think it was as good?

Still, to this day, I haven't seen a movie that utilized the 3D technology to enhance the movie as much as Avatar. Tron:Legacy and Life of Pi were close but aside from those two, IMO, there hasn't been another movie where 3D truly "enhanced" or "complimented" the movie-going experience.

twebber55

100%. Can't that be expected though? Think about it...you're not getting the full experience?
Pandora was the biggest character in the film and the one thing that most people took as a positive from the movie (even the haters). You bring it home and you're only getting half of the character.

Take Pirates of the Caribbean...Johnny Depp absolutely made that movie and had somebody else played Jack Sparrow, arguably, the movie wouldn't have been as much of a success. Imagine you buy the DVD and Johnny Depp's portrayal got watered down to a point that it was no different than any other actor. Would you think it was as good?

Still, to this day, I haven't seen a movie that utilized the 3D technology to enhance the movie as much as Avatar. Tron:Legacy and Life of Pi were close but aside from those two, IMO, there hasn't been another movie where 3D truly "enhanced" or "complimented" the movie-going experience.
i cant wait to see the tron coaster at shanhgai...although some here will dismiss the ride because the movie wasnt very good

Bparso87

I agree with u on all points to a point but jonny depp might be awesome as jack sparrow does not stop the fact that at worlds end was a horrible movie. There are things I liked about avatar but I see more flaws now since I see it at home. They spent to much time on pandora and the rest of the film was lazy. Life of pi looks amazing and was a great movie my favorite of last year. Might not look as good as avatar but the story acting score where all fantastic also.

twebber55

I agree with u on all points to a point but jonny depp might be awesome as jack sparrow does not stop the fact that at worlds end was a horrible movie. There are things I liked about avatar but I see more flaws now since I see it at home. They spent to much time on pandora and the rest of the film was lazy. Life of pi looks amazing and was a great movie my favorite of last year. Might not look as good as avatar but the story acting score where all fantastic also.
i would by your argument more if avatar wasnt received so well from critics..9 academy nominations with 3 wins..that has to count for something

WDWFREAK53

I'm not really talking about the PotC sequels as there may not have been sequels if Depp didn't nail it on the first one. (Much like Avatar...we have no clue how the sequels will turn out). (BTW, did you mean At World's End or On Stranger Tides?).

I will agree with you about Life of Pi. Absolutely beautiful film, well acted, great story, and, IMO, should've won for best picture. Far and away my favorite film of the year. One of those films that you keep thinking about after you leave the theater...but not because of plotholes...because it was very thought-provoking.

Padraig

I've been trying to find info - slow morning here in work - on how Avatar did in terms of merchandising. I see vague numbers, deals struck and predictions but nothing solid post release. Specifically, I'm wondering how it performed in relation to it's Box office gross. I don't think I ever saw any kids playing with blue cat toys. It certainly didn't feature on any "must-have Christmas toys" list over here. This has to be a major consideration for Disney, because If there's one thing theme parks love it's merchandising tie-ins potential.

WDWFREAK53

I've been trying to find info - slow morning here in work - on how Avatar did in terms of merchandising. I see vague numbers, deals struck and predictions but nothing solid post release. Specifically, I'm wondering how it performed in relation to it's Box office gross. I don't think I ever saw any kids playing with blue cat toys. It certainly didn't feature on any "must-have Christmas toys" list over here. This has to be a major consideration for Disney, because If there's one thing theme parks love it's merchandising tie-ins potential.

Not well.

Movie sales/DVD/Blu-Ray/etc. did extremely well.
Toys and "other" merchandise didn't really go over well. Mattel was the toy manufacturer and I think they ate their shirts on it.

That being said, Pandora/Avatar toys may get a resurgence in the parks.

Toys, on the whole, aside from the big nostalgia-based lines, have taken a backseat due to video games. (That being said, the Avatar video game didn't really sell well either).

lazyboy97o

funny you mention it never gets brought up because two recent movies compared them selves to avatar
The Croods and life of pi
I recall those comparisons being in regards to visuals, which nobody has denied and would only strengthen the points of others that the film is remembered for its imagery but not its story or characters.

twebber55

I recall those comparisons being in regards to visuals, which nobody has denied and would only strengthen the points of others that the film is remembered for its imagery but not its story or characters.
still using them as comparisons only helps the argument that avatar is remembered..how it is remembered is irrelevant IMO in terms of theme park attractions

i can easily see 1 to 2 million more people visiting avatar just to see the visuals
you dont have to like the storyline to enjoy the visuals (see tron and cars land)

Padraig

The great thing about Facebook, twitter etc. is that there's the potential to extract analytics as regards a products "mindshare" - hate that word btw. I'd love to know if Disney has/does leverage this. Disney been slow as molasses in recent years in terms of bringing in any new attractions, but the lack of progress, announcements anything at all on Avatar screams [GOB]I've made a huge mistake[/GOB] from Bob Eisner. Even accounting for Cameron's difficult nature, the will to finalize the deal seems absent. I suspect they know the benefit/ROI isn't there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom