AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

BryceM

You seem to contradict yourself a bit here...but I LOATHE the idea of Avatar in AK. Who the hell needs it? Avatar is a flash-in-the-pan piece of eye candy, nothing more. Yeah, it's made a lot of money initially. But will it stand the test of time? HELL NO. There are no memorable characters, the storyline is preachy and already trite, and who cares anyway? I don't go to the AK much now as it is. If Avatar is built there, I'll avoid it like the plague, because if anything new should be built there it should be Beastly Kingdomme!
What I'm saying is that if you put the franchise aside and focus on the lush environment of Pandora itself instead of the story, it could end up being pretty attractive and neat looking.

And yes, I agree 100% that it won't be a "Potter Swatter". In fact, I won't be surprised to see IOA pass DAK in attendance. But that's another story...

champdisney

I just feel that Disney made a rather LARGE mistake in partnering up with James Cameron. Don't get me wrong, the man is a cinematic genius but the truth is, he's a major pain in the to work with. I can only imagine how many times Joe Rohde has pulled the little hairs he has left when he comes out from a creative meeting with Cameron. When it comes to James Cameron, it's either his way or the highway and because of that I can see "Pandora" getting built in the next 100+ years. Like I previously said, Disney should save themselves and kindly walk away from this project. It isn't because of my distaste for Avatar or the fact that I think "Pandora" will disappoint but because until Disney gives in to Cameron's needs, that'll be the day when we'll see progress being made. And Cameron isn't better than Disney, in fact no one is. If Disney really wanted to, they can buy out Lightstorm Entertainment and sell it the very next day! And if it's floating mountains that Cameron is yearning for in AK, then it's time to wake up!

gonnichi

I also hate the Idea of Pandora in AK. However whatever they do build as far as an Avatar attraction I have no doubt that it will be very popular. Even if it is just another Soarin' type attraction. There are so few attractions at AK that it will by default be very popular. It has no competition in AK. Look at how Soarin' is so popular in Epcot and not as popular in DCA. Its because Epcot has a lot fewer major high quality exhilarating attractions then DCA. So lines for Soarin' in Epcot are longer because its one of the few great family attractions at Epcot. So in my opinion this Avatar movie attraction will probably be similar to Soarin's popularity at Epcot.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I also hate the Idea of Pandora in AK. However whatever they do build as far as an Avatar attraction I have no doubt that it will be very popular. Even if it is just another Soarin' type attraction. There are so few attractions at AK that it will by default be very popular. It has no competition in AK. Look at how Soarin' is so popular in Epcot and not as popular in DCA. Its because Epcot has a lot fewer major high quality exhilarating attractions then DCA. So lines for Soarin' in Epcot are longer because its one of the few great family attractions at Epcot. So in my opinion this Avatar movie attraction will probably be similar to Soarin's popularity at Epcot.

Well stated!

BoarderPhreak

I mentioned this in another thread; that I think Disney should take the Star Wars acquisition and go nuts with a Star Wars land. It would be hugely popular and with much more staying power than Avatar ever will - plus they don't have to pay Cameron (rights?) anything.

cheezbat

When it comes to James Cameron, it's either his way or the highway and because of that I can see "Pandora" getting built in the next 100+ years. Like I previously said, Disney should save themselves and kindly walk away from this project. It isn't because of my distaste for Avatar or the fact that I think "Pandora" will disappoint but because until Disney gives in to Cameron's needs, that'll be the day when we'll see progress being made. And if it's floating mountains that Cameron is yearning for in AK, then it's time to wake up!

If its floating mountains Cameron wants, maybe he should go to Legoland instead. I'm sure they'd be willing to turn their floating mountains Chima project into Avatar! Lol

stevehousse

Someone had posted about Lucas projects in AK a few pages ago an it got me thinking...I think an Indiana jones ride would fit perfect in Asia, make a temple of doom mine cart dark ride

Similar to the new SWMT at MK, but with more show scenes and a thrilling mine cart get away ending! I think it would be an ok fit for Asia.

For Avatar, I think if they let It get done properly with a good budget it could be awesome!

I do think they need a new land , either Australia, South America or even a huge indoor Antartica themed area where it snows ad stays cool! Animal kingdom is one of those parks that has the least shade and building am I think a concept like this would be cool, but maybe seaworld might get upset??

WDWDad13

yeah, but then AK would have 2 very similar ride systems in the same park (like Dinosaur). I know this isn't that big of a deal but some have been complaining about Radiator Springs Racers having the same ride system as Test Track if it came to DHS.

misterID

Someone had posted about Lucas projects in AK a few pages ago an it got me thinking...I think an Indiana jones ride would fit perfect in Asia, make a temple of doom mine cart dark ride

Similar to the new SWMT at MK, but with more show scenes and a thrilling mine cart get away ending! I think it would be an ok fit for Asia.

For Avatar, I think if they let It get done properly with a good budget it could be awesome!

I do think they need a new land , either Australia, South America or even a huge indoor Antartica themed area where it snows ad stays cool! Animal kingdom is one of those parks that has the least shade and building am I think a concept like this would be cool, but maybe seaworld might get upset??

I agree with Avatar, but not Indy. Any Indy ride should be, and most likely will be, in DHS. AK deserves some sophistication (yes, I know, Chester and Hester and Dinoland, shut up!), the same that EPCOT and WS used to have, and the one ride that sticks out to me that would be a perfect fit for AK is Mystic Manor (before someone says "what does it have to do with animals?", again, it's central character is a Monkey, in the rain forest). AK is in desperate need for an originally themed dark ride with some cool tech. I would love to see the Mysterious Island/Beastly Kingdom hybrid also. This could be the best Disney park next to Dinsey Sea, if it were given half a chance.

I don't think it needs any movie tie ins. The one reason I like the idea of Avatar is the focus on the enviorment, nature (which is universal, Pandora or Earth) and I think the level of quality WDI could bring to an Avatarland could be stellar. Not a potter swatter, it doesn't need to be that. But it does need a "wow" factor, and the visuals for Pandora would be that, but one Soarin ride isn't going to do that on its own.

luv

I still don't care at all about Avatar, but so wish they wouldn't put it in the AK. I guess they are hell-bent on charging forward with this ridiculous mistake, but it so doesn't being there. :(

I hope that I will be able to continue having AK be my my favorite Disney park...because I just don't know what else could be.

So bummed about this. I sure hope they at least have a cool ride...but I doubt it.

twebber55

I still don't care at all about Avatar, but so wish they wouldn't put it in the AK. I guess they are hell-bent on charging forward with this ridiculous mistake, but it so doesn't being there. :(

I hope that I will be able to continue having AK be my my favorite Disney park...because I just don't know what else could be.

So bummed about this. I sure hope they at least have a cool ride...but I doubt it.
its a theme park expansion relax and enjoy the park...give avatar a chance and if you dont like it dont go back
i mean i dont care for dinoland but i havent sworn off DAk because of it..typically go to dinosaur and leave that part...sorry i just dont get the hate for any theme park expansion

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Well, I guess many of us will have to continue to agree to disagree because I think it is a perfect fit for DAK, visually and philosophically. I just hope with this and any future WDW expansions, they do it right. They came close with FLE...it is stunning to look at. We'll see if SDMT is a worthy anchor attraction. Actually, I just wish they would either a) cancel Avatar or b) give us some concept art and a few ride concepts, because I think we've had this debate for long enough.

ctxak98

I don't see how avatar is a bad fit for Animal Kingdom! I guess everyone sees things differently! I wouuld love for Avatar, Beastly Kingdom or Mysterious Island to come to DAK. I am not for Mystic Manor or Indiana Jones. To me Indiana Jones has nothing to do with animals or living creatures and more to do with fighting bad guys and finding lost artifacts. (I know you can say he is in a jungle sometimes and gets attacked by snakes, spiders and monkeys....still does not count) however I can see this ride more so than mystic Manorr. Although Mystic Manors main character is a monkey it still doesn't sit right. Its to human oriented and inside a mansion. It has nothing to do with nature other than its supposed to be located in the rainforest. Just my opinion though!

jt04

Just make a layover of the whole land.

Indiana Jones and the Legend of the Forbidden Mountain
Indy River Rapids

Love this idea. Especially if they lengthen the rapids ride. Maybe this is why Yeti is being left to rot.

Hmmm, there is a theater that could hold a related show too.

Prototype82

There are bigger things to get butthurt over, people. Like Nemo in the Living Seas or Donald Duck in Mexico. The ironic part is that most of the butthurt couldn't care less about those...

luv

Well, I guess many of us will have to continue to agree to disagree because I think it is a perfect fit for DAK, visually and philosophically. I just hope with this and any future WDW expansions, they do it right. They came close with FLE...it is stunning to look at. We'll see if SDMT is a worthy anchor attraction. Actually, I just wish they would either a) cancel Avatar or b) give us some concept art and a few ride concepts, because I think we've had this debate for long enough.
Ugh. Isn't one thread solely devoted to "Rah! Rah! We love Avatar!" enough for you people? ;) I'm kidding, of course...but there is a Pro-Avatar Only thread for this, lol.

I love the AK. Far and away my favorite of the Disney parks and I say so all the time. I think Avatarland is a horrid idea and will not be changing my mind about it.

Completely against this in every way.

twebber55

Ugh. Isn't one thread solely devoted to "Rah! Rah! We love Avatar!" enough for you people? ;) I'm kidding, of course...but there is a Pro-Avatar Only thread for this, lol.

I love the AK. Far and away my favorite of the Disney parks and I say so all the time. I think Avatarland is a horrid idea and will not be changing my mind about it.

Completely against this in every way.
so you re not going to give it a chance?

luv

its a theme park expansion relax and enjoy the park...give avatar a chance and if you dont like it dont go back
i mean i dont care for dinoland but i havent sworn off DAk because of it..typically go to dinosaur and leave that part...sorry i just dont get the hate for any theme park expansion
I'm not asking you to understand or agree with it. If you're happy with the idea, I'm happy for you. I'm sure if you check out the "Rah! Rah! We love Avatar!" thread, you will find plenty of people who do agree with you.

I just don't like it at all, in any way.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I'm not asking you to understand or agree with it. If you're happy with the idea, I'm happy for you. I'm sure if you check out the "Rah! Rah! We love Avatar!" thread, you will find plenty of people who do agree with you.

I just don't like it at all, in any way.

Do you think many people would be against a flume ride based on Song of the South if it was introduced today?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom