AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

ctxak98

Everyone has a different opinion on what they like and don't like! That's why movies are great because they appeal to a variety of people, BUT, they don't always appeal to every single person. NOW me personally I love Princess and the Frog. I think it has great songs even if they aren't as memorable as "Part of your World" or "A whole new world"....I feel the movie went into a different direction and Tiana was a different kind of Princess. She was not a character that has a huge ballad in my opinion. I personally would put Mulan up there with those movies. Although not that best I honestly love it. I also love Pocahontas but apparently some people here don't! Its all a matter of opinion..

And if we are going to be honest, I personally like Aladdin, TLM, BATB, Mulan and PATF better then Lion King. I love lion king but if it were a list of top to bottom for me personally, those are better and more enjoyable.

prfctlyximprct

Found Avatar the movie to be incredibly boring. Watched the first hour then watched the last 10 minutes, I could not make it through the whole thing. While visually it was beautiful, I think Disney could really make Pandora a wonderful place. Now if only they would get moving...

G00fyDad

Found Avatar the movie to be incredibly boring. Watched the first hour then watched the last 10 minutes, I could not make it through the whole thing. While visually it was beautiful, I think Disney could really make Pandora a wonderful place. Now if only they would get moving...

I just watched it the other day on Bluray on my 60" plasma in 3D....................awesome. I couldn't believe how good it looks. I can only hope that Disney gets it right.

Cosmic Commando

No, I wouldn't disagree. I wish Disney was capable of fully realizing a theme without having to concede part of the work to Universal, and I think the dinosaurs at Ellen are a bit misplaced in a time when the false connection between dinosaurs/"fossil fuels" is increasingly irrelevant to the future of energy. But as far as the number of dinosaur-based attractions in Orlando, there does seem to be a decent amount.
I like to think that the imagineers put a little "meta" joke in when they put in Ellen's Energy Adventure. This is paraphrased a bit, but basically intact:
Ellen: So you mean we're filling up our cars with dinosaur soup?
Bill Nye: Well, not exactly. Dinosaurs are just cool!

Why are there dinosaurs in UoE? Because dinosaurs are cool.

This is all true and a fair analysis. The problem with Dinosaur is that it's the only actual representation of dinosaurs in an entire land supposedly themed to them, and yet in the ride you only see a handful of dinosaurs for a few seconds each. Worse still, dinosaurs tend to be of highest interest to young kids, who often would be much too afraid (or short) to ride such an intense ride. I agree a good fix would be to add actual dino-centric attractions to the surrounding land, in which Dinosaur could be a strong component, but for the time being Dinosaur is a sad under-realization of what could be a much broader and more amazing concept.
I could only "like" it once, so I decided to quote it, too. Supposedly, Eisner gave Dinoland USA the green light over Beastly Kingdom because "kids like dinosaurs", but then the only worthwhile ride absolutely scares the pants off of you! I enjoy it myself, but (IMHO) it's the scariest ride on property. The only way that you can see "real" dinosaurs in a land about dinosaurs is to be scared out of your mind. Our on-ride photo with my 30something brother-in-law had him hunched over in the fetal position. :eek:

Retheme the land so that a natural phenomenon allowed the Dino Institute to set up a base 100 MYA and you can still keep Dinosaur with some minor redressing. The time rovers can still be used to explore other time periods from the "home base". The new theme would allow you to have more rides with "real" dinos, though.

Kirk88

And I wonder which side James Cameron is on.... ;)

Last I heard, he was the big hold up in all of this. It wouldn't surprise me if Disney cut their losses (if there are any) at this point and pursued Lucas branded attractions. Indiana Jones could be a good fit in AK.

ctxak98

I like to think that the imagineers put a little "meta" joke in when they put in Ellen's Energy Adventure. This is paraphrased a bit, but basically intact:

I could only "like" it once, so I decided to quote it, too. Supposedly, Eisner gave Dinoland USA the green light over Beastly Kingdom because "kids like dinosaurs", but then the only worthwhile ride absolutely scares the pants off of you! I enjoy it myself, but (IMHO) it's the scariest ride on property. The only way that you can see "real" dinosaurs in a land about dinosaurs is to be scared out of your mind. Our on-ride photo with my 30something brother-in-law had him hunched over in the fetal position. :eek:

Retheme the land so that a natural phenomenon allowed the Dino Institute to set up a base 100 MYA and you can still keep Dinosaur with some minor redressing. The time rovers can still be used to explore other time periods from the "home base". The new theme would allow you to have more rides with "real" dinos, though.
I get confused with what you just said. So have Dinosaur not as scary with tours of real dinosaurs!? isn't that what Dinosaur is just on a more thrilling level!?

Cosmic Commando

I get confused with what you just said. So have Dinosaur not as scary with tours of real dinosaurs!? isn't that what Dinosaur is just on a more thrilling level!?
I'm thinking something like the UoE dinosaur scenes or Triceratops Encounter at IoA. You could have action with the dinos attacking each other, but it would be nice for kids if they weren't about to be eaten or if there wasn't a giant wall of speakers just behind the darkness making them think a Carnotaurus is three feet away. Keep Dinosaur for the thrill, add other dino encounters that aren't as scary.

ctxak98

I'm thinking something like the UoE dinosaur scenes or Triceratops Encounter at IoA. You could have action with the dinos attacking each other, but it would be nice for kids if they weren't about to be eaten or if there wasn't a giant wall of speakers just behind the darkness making them think a Carnotaurus is three feet away. Keep Dinosaur for the thrill, add other dino encounters that aren't as scary.
Ok I am ok with adding other dinosaur attractions similar but milder in intensity. Disney already lacks thrilling genre for rides and its basically the last one left. I think taking Dinosaur away would be bad. I think maybe an interactive encounter with Iguanodon they capture would be awesome!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Just a dino zoo with some animatronic dinosaurs would be awesome. I'm sure the dino institute folk would bring a few back to the present for us to ogle.

Adam5897

I'm used to getting people angry with me when i say that I think the lion king and especially the princess and the frog are overrated. But that's just what I think. Everyone has their opinion on what they think the best disney movie is and the worst even if It means you absolutely hate or don't understand a movie that might be someone elses favorite. I personally think Sleeping Beauty is the greatest Disney movie of all time and people will disagree with me and that's fine. I was a bit confused though because when i came to this thread i expected talk about Avatar and see this! Lol :)

RSoxNo1

It's a good point. In the most recent incarnation of the ride, the Dinosaurs themselves don't make a whole lot of sense. I (and others) have said that for years. The show component itself is actually pretty well done, but ultimately the entire experience is too long for what amounts to a limited payoff.

I'd love to see the animatronics repurposed either in the DINOSAUR attraction or a new Dinoland attraction, and then a completely new concept replace what's at Epcot.

Cosmic Commando

It's a good point. In the most recent incarnation of the ride, the Dinosaurs themselves don't make a whole lot of sense. I (and others) have said that for years. The show component itself is actually pretty well done, but ultimately the entire experience is too long for what amounts to a limited payoff.

I'd love to see the animatronics repurposed either in the DINOSAUR attraction or a new Dinoland attraction, and then a completely new concept replace what's at Epcot.
I will actually be sad to see the current UoE go, but it has to happen sometime and hopefully the animatronics can be used as you have suggested.

champdisney

After thinking long and hard about this, I really do think Disney should just shelve this whole Avatar project altogether. Disney has properties of their own to explore (Lucasfilm, Marvel, etc) Avatar is not a Disney owned brand and therefore I don't think its necessary for Disney to spend millions upon millions on building a whole land worth of attractions on a franchise that isn't rightfully theirs, that's something the folks over at Universal does best. It's all under James Cameron's doing, for whatever reason (I heard it has to do with him wanting a bigger budget to go into the project) he's been stalling on the project and if he continues to go down this route, he's just going to end up losing. I just hope Imagineering are coming up with secondary options and if push comes to shove with Cameron, Disney can just turn it around and say "Hey, we've been very cooperative and understanding of your needs and demands, Mr. Cameron. But I think we've come to terms in passing on this project, good luck with your franchise." And let that be the end of the brewing Disney/Cameron relationship.

As I said, Disney has more than enough of their own material to capitalize from. I would love to see Animal Kingdom receive attractions based off of Indiana Jones or Kraven the Hunter, there are many possibilities! Avatar though, while the movie looked amazing visually but the story itself sucked and by the information of attractions I've read, "Pandora" seems to be Cameron and Disney's version of their own Jurassic Park (IOA)... and we don't want/NEED that!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What was the name of the female lead in Avatar again? She was so memorable I've watched the movie several times, and still can't....

Er...

What was her name?

G00fyDad

What was the name of the female lead in Avatar again? She was so memorable I've watched the movie several times, and still can't....

Er...

What was her name?

Nayteri, or something like that. I just watched the movie last night though. Otherwise I doubt I would remember the name. Still a great movie, but I'd rather see a larger Star Wars presence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom