AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Kitchandro

Obviously this has been discussed to death but I hate this idea.

Avatar a) has nothing to do with Disney b) is not a classic c) will have faded into obscurity as a film franchise in 10 years d) isn't half as popular as is suggested by some people. I've never heard any one go on about it to me, I've heard a couple of people praise the special effects but admit the film as a whole was average at best.

One attraction would be understandable, but a whole land is bizarre.

Beholder

Avatar a) has nothing to do with Disney b) is not a classic c) will have faded into obscurity as a film franchise in 10 years d) isn't half as popular as is
suggested by some people. I've never heard any
one go on about it to me, I've heard a couple of
people praise the special effects but admit the
film as a whole was average at best.

Totally understand the sentiment, especially about an entire land based on Avatar/Pandora of all places. However, and I really hate to say this, Avatar looks like the ONLY attention AK will get, and IF done correctly, it COULD be an interesting attraction. I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea, but I'm kinda taking what I can get. Blah.

twebber55

Avatar a) has nothing to do with Disney b) is not a classic c) will have faded into obscurity as a film franchise in 10 years d) isn't half as popular as is suggested by some people. I've never heard any one go on about it to me, I've heard a couple of people praise the special effects but admit the film as a whole was average at best.

well A) lots of thing at disney has nothing to do with disney
the other 3 are your opinion and you re certainly entitled to it

from the sound of it its only going to be one ride anyway

FrankLapidus

I would Tangled and Wreck-it-Ralph to that list.

Yeah I agree, Wreck-It Ralph especially for me; watching that film I couldn't help but think that there was a lot of potential there for the theme parks. For all the negativity that surrounds Disney animation from 2000 up until around the time that John Lasseter took over, there's a few films made in that time that I enjoy. Lilo & Stitch would be the stand-out there for most people but I really liked The Emperor's New Groove and Treasure Planet too.

FigmentJedi

Yeah I agree, Wreck-It Ralph especially for me; watching that film I couldn't help but think that there was a lot of potential there for the theme parks. For all the negativity that surrounds Disney animation from 2000 up until around the time that John Lasseter took over, there's a few films made in that time that I enjoy. Lilo & Stitch would be the stand-out there for most people but I really liked The Emperor's New Groove and Treasure Planet too.
Really, the only truly terrible movies in the batch were Chicken Little and Home on the Range.

Kitchandro

well A) lots of thing at disney has nothing to do with disney
the other 3 are your opinion and you re certainly entitled to it

from the sound of it its only going to be one ride anyway

Ok fair enough.

What I mean is, I could understand them having it if it was a Disney film, and I could understand them having it if it was an absolute classic; a hugely popular franchise like Star Wars (I mean I'm not really a Star Wars guy myself but I appreciate why they've got attractions based around it) and Indiana Jones etc. But it's neither of those things, so it's a strange one.

Hopefully they won't go too mad with it, and it will be a reasonable attraction that won't impact too negatively on the park atmosphere. Am I right in saying it's being built on the site where the Beastly Kingdom was intended to be?

twebber55

Ok fair enough.

What I mean is, I could understand them having it if it was a Disney film, and I could understand them having it if it was an absolute classic; a hugely popular franchise like Star Wars (I mean I'm not really a Star Wars guy myself but I appreciate why they've got attractions based around it) and Indiana Jones etc. But it's neither of those things, so it's a strange one.

Hopefully they won't go too mad with it, and it will be a reasonable attraction that won't impact too negatively on the park atmosphere. Am I right in saying it's being built on the site where the Beastly Kingdom was intended to be?
yes you are right

RyenDeckard

Completely agree, Avatar doesn't have any staying power, if anything it will be looked back like Tron was, with fond memories but little lasting cultural impact.

Edit: To be clear, I love Tron, but it wasn't a great movie and besides the cool style it didn't have anything the really keep it as a long lasting cultural icon.

twebber55

Completely agree, Avatar doesn't have any staying power, if anything it will be looked back like Tron was, with fond memories but little lasting cultural impact.

Edit: To be clear, I love Tron, but it wasn't a great movie and besides the cool style it didn't have anything the really keep it as a long lasting cultural icon.
Obviously im a supporter of avatar and one of the reasons im in favor of it is tron...crummy movies but a tron coaster will be cool ( in shanghai ) and avatar eye candy and movie was much better than tron

gonnichi

I'm actually Glad they are making the big mistake in putting Avatar in AK. I love Most of WDW, but I only go to AK once in every maybe 4 visits to WDW. If they were to build a great land that i really enjoyed I would have to go to AK every year. Then I would miss out on going to Universal Orlando IOA as often as i do. So actually for me this helps me make the decision of what parks to visit alot easier. if TDO was able to build a great new land, or bring in pandas i would have a much more difficcult decision to make. This is just my personal opinion.

EPCOTCenterLover

It's so lush and beautiful. And there's a TON to explore. Especially in Camp Jurassic, which is just amazingly done. The last few times I've been at Islands of Adventure, I've made it a point to explore Camp Jurassic and find those dark, creepy amber mine caves. They are so terrifying! And I love it in front of the Jurassic Park Discovery Center. It's so quiet and nice and gives a great view of the park. It's just overall a WAY better executed land than Dinoland.
Where exactly are those amber caves? I missed them!

EPCOTCenterLover

Go visit a reservation, and tell me how "the river runs" and how wonderful that arrogant "princess" who does nothing but according to the Disney story saves us all. (on the flip side, tell me how a harmony with nature makes for a great and successful civilization, it doesn't) This movie was a flop because it was overly preachy, had a terrible story with terrible characters who no one could relate with, and was the start of the crap we saw Disney turn out over the next decade.

In it's defense, this crap led to the rise of Pixar...

This movie was the start of the decline of the Disney storytelling mantra, as they went with making a 14 year old into a sexy 20 something who seduced a white dude, mixed in with crappy supporting characters and a forgettable plot.

Screw this movie.
I agree- it was a bad movie with one great song.

RyenDeckard

Where exactly are those amber caves? I missed them!
Inside Camp Jurassic.
July242011284.jpg

July242011291.jpg

WDWFREAK53

IMO Treasure Planet is the most underrated Disney animated feature. I love it. The only thing it lacked was music. Add in a couple of musical numbers sung by the actual characters and it would've done much better.
Still, to this day, I want a Solar Surfer!

WDWFREAK53

While I agree with you...I will say one thing that applies to both movies.

They both had a very unique look that when you see something similar, you immediately think of those films.

Anytime you see a blue illuminated digital line pattern, Tron immediately comes to mind. (Look at the updated Test Track...it has nothing to do with Tron, but it feels like a Tron overlay just due to the aesthetics).
Whenever you see "glow-in-the-dark" or illuminated flowers...you think Avatar.

(When I say "You" I mean people as a whole...not specifically YOU hehe)

NoChesterHester

I wish they would just break ground on this dang attraction. The whole discussion on should/shouldn't be a part of DAK has run its course.

This X 1000.

This same back and forth debate ran its course 18 months ago. The first 200 pages are identical to the latest 15.

The bottom line is that IP is nearly irrelevant to the quality of attraction. If it is awesome people will stand in line for hours regardless if it contains blue alien kitties or not. If it is visually stunning and groundbreaking I will applaud. If it falls short I'll be on here blasting the wasted money like everyone else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom