AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I don't see that as a win, I see that as he won't respond...because he'd prefer to do so less real time. When he can snark and spit on other users. Monday morning quarterback.

Prototype82

This thread kills me. But I must fuel it.

Here's why Avatarland is destined to be a success:

1. People desire more rides at Animal Kingdom.
2. Soarin' is immensely popular. I can only imagine what the lines for Soarin' on steroids would be at a rideless park.
3. It's not as timeless as Potter but it's a pop culture reference that's unforgettable. Not long ago, people online openly laughed at how Jurassic Park needed to be bulldozed at Islands because it was a forgotten franchise. Looks like they were wrong. Same with Avatar. Sequels are coming and people will watch them.
4. Sole reason people saw the film was to escape into that world. A themed environment makes that possible.

*sigh* bring the hate.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Proto - Totally get your post!

But, no, the sole reason people saw that movie was that people said it was awesome. Not because they wanted to escape anything.

So that's point 5.

You skipped point 4, which I'm cool with.

Point 3, it is NOT as timeless as Potter, which will be books which are shared to kids, and are read over and over... Jurassic Park...started out as a book. And the sequels...were laughable at best.

Point 2, Sourin is a terrible attraction, and a very lazy WED transplant. They didn't even update the movie. I don't care how it was "saved" at the last minute by an erector set...they could have at least done a new movie for the WDW version.

Point 1 - Yes, people do desire more rides at AK, in fact, having been there for the past 3 years, I'd like a tour guide...I barely understand the park. I miss shows all the time, and that is all they seem to offer, outside of Dino world, where half the stuff is broken down or cliche.

So, yeah, we agree on point one.

Prototype82

Proto - Totally get your post!

But, no, the sole reason people saw that movie was that people said it was awesome. Not because they wanted to escape anything.

So that's point 5.

You skipped point 4, which I'm cool with.

Point 3, it is NOT as timeless as Potter, which will be books which are shared to kids, and are read over and over... Jurassic Park...started out as a book. And the sequels...were laughable at best.

Point 2, Sourin is a terrible attraction, and a very lazy WED transplant. They didn't even update the movie. I don't care how it was "saved" at the last minute by an erector set...they could have at least done a new movie for the WDW version.

Point 1 - Yes, people do desire more rides at AK, in fact, having been there for the past 3 years, I'd like a tour guide...I barely understand the park. I miss shows all the time, and that is all they seem to offer, outside of Dino world, where half the stuff is broken down or cliche.

So, yeah, we agree on point one.
Missing point 4 was the awkward product of me typing this on my mobile phone. So maybe "escape" isn't the right word. But people found Pandora attractive. The story wasn't particularly heavy, but in many cases in theme parks, heavy theming can tell a light but immersive story. It's lush and other-worldly and a refreshing contrast from the rest of the park.

I'm not saying Soarin' is perfect. It's neat and exhilarating to an extent but after awhile it's uninteresting. Yet somehow its success grants it some of the longest wait times in the entire park.

RandySavage

Having fun imagining an Animal Kingdom with an Avatar land (not in its planned spot):
Blog+-+WDW+AK+2025.PNG

Bigger version and exposition here: http://www.idealbuildout.blogspot.com/

englanddg

One Little Spark...
And, I'm sorry, no amount of Imagineering love is going to make me love it. I'll give it a fair shake, but it isn't some masterpiece of imagineering, as the imagineers who worked on it thought it was...

SirLink

So, after I figured out what the "tree of life" was all about, I then get to venture into what...no clear direction, then I get to be told I can venture, into no clear direction.

AK is a crappy park, that was poorly thought out.

Nope it was designed so that each direction you went in to explore, in a more natural way ... than with similar layouts at the other parks. If anything it is the best park they have in FL - needs more attractions and one land desperately needs a re-imagining but it is a pretty great park.

FigmentJedi

Nope it was designed so that each direction you went in to explore, in a more natural way ... than with similar layouts at the other parks. If anything it is the best park they have in FL - needs more attractions and one land desperately needs a re-imagining but it is a pretty great park.
Exactly. Animal Kingdom is the most 3D Platformer Game-y of the parks because of it's exploration encouraging layout. You could hide Jiggies, Stars or Gold Bananas throughout the place.

michmousefan

But, after decades of having environmentalism shoved down our throats, the last thing that is grossly marketable is alien environmentalism. Walt's "great big beautiful tomorrow" meant destroying wetlands...

But, it doesn't make for a great attraction. I have little to no interest in AK as a park as it stands, as it is nothing more than an overblown rendention of the originally planned EPCOT African pavilion.

In my opine, if Disney really wants to make AK successful, it's not about new lands or rides, it's about making the currently hard to navigate and frankly overly boring park fun and interesting for guests...and that doesn't mean new rides, per se...it means guest interactions. Investment in cast members.

Wow... just a few amazingly off-the-rails generalizations, huh? Hope you enjoy living in your angry little world.

First off, the "great big beautiful tomorrow" isn't about destroying wetlands, it's about finding ways to discover and make a great/better tomorrow (using technology and imagination) *while* respecting the environment at the same time. That message can be found at Animal Kingdom, The Land pavilion... Innoventions, etc.

And I'm sorry if you find AK boring... many, many others find it to be a beautiful blend of theme park and zoo. Sorry that every single exhibit doesn't have a cast member to talk to you; that's what the placards and displays are for. You should read them sometime, but I suppose that might be too boring for you.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Wow... just a few amazingly off-the-rails generalizations, huh? Hope you enjoy living in your angry little world.

First off, the "great big beautiful tomorrow" isn't about destroying wetlands, it's about finding ways to discover and make a great/better tomorrow (using technology and imagination) *while* respecting the environment at the same time. That message can be found at Animal Kingdom, The Land pavilion... Innoventions, etc.

And I'm sorry if you find AK boring... many, many others find it to be a beautiful blend of theme park and zoo. Sorry that every single exhibit doesn't have a cast member to talk to you; that's what the placards and displays are for. You should read them sometime, but I suppose that might be too boring for you.

And many, many others find it to be a boring half day park.

G00fyDad

And many, many others find it to be a boring half day park.

I wouldn't say boring. Just because you find it a boring half day park doesn't mean that many, many others do. I agree, it could use a lot more attention and expansion, but if you go there to see everything there is to see in AK, then you could be there all day and not be bored. If many, many people actually found it to be a "boring half day park" then the attendance would reflect that and Disney would, in a financial requirement, have to make changes.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Missing point 4 was the awkward product of me typing this on my mobile phone. So maybe "escape" isn't the right word. But people found Pandora attractive. The story wasn't particularly heavy, but in many cases in theme parks, heavy theming can tell a light but immersive story. It's lush and other-worldly and a refreshing contrast from the rest of the park.

I'm not saying Soarin' is perfect. It's neat and exhilarating to an extent but after awhile it's uninteresting. Yet somehow its success grants it some of the longest wait times in the entire park.

Or...maybe the wait time is a reflection of a lack of other interesting attractions at that park. Saying that a long wait time means it's a pinnacle of the ride experience is like saying...well...that Avatar was a pinnacle of a great movie because it made a lot of money.

Oh...wait...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Well, before my 15 month hiatus from this site I made this post in this thread -

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ys-animal-kingdom.803695/page-90#post-4754111

There is nothing deep or must read in that post that hasn't already been said. I just quote it to lend my summary a bit of veracity. Anyhoo, here is my thought. I think the disagreements about Avatar all boil down to two things - 1) the perceived importance of an IP to a theme park attraction/lands success and 2) what type of IP makes a good theme park attraction land. I think there is a group of sane, intelligent posters on both sides of this issue and because we've all thought about our opinions, we're not changing each other's minds because we're working from a different set of assumptions. So, perhaps, we can talk about something else. How about this - Based on rumors from insiders it looks like all 3 of these things are a possibility - 1) Full Avatar land with multiple rides 2) One Avatar ride with room in CMM for another thing or two and 3) no Avatar at all. Regardless of your opinion, what does your gut tell you is most likely? How good are you at reading the tea leaves? Will you make a prediction you can point to and brag about later? Another thing I've seen people bring up in other threads is that Joe Rohde could lose his job if Avatar doesn't happen, since he won't have anything to work on. What do you think his legacy will be (regardless of when he leaves)? We don't have to discuss these things....just an idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom