AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

rael ramone

Nor should they watch the animated version since there is smoking there also. They also shouldn't watch Lion King since it promotes Regicide. I am fully aware of the effects of smoking. My father would likely be dead right now if he had not quite smoking when he did. I just don't think that seeing a character smoke automatically makes kids want to smoke.

IIRC, there was a group of people that were out to get any movie that had any smoking (unless it was 'period smoking by a historical character') *automatically* stamped R-rated, regardless of the rest of the content of the film and how it compares to other films.

erasure fan1

Not everyone like everything . There are literally so many people I run into or meet that have NEVER seen star wars at all and don't know anything about it. Its just a fact of life that not everyone is going to recognize a franchise when it hits you in the face....but that's doesn't mean its not going to be popular!
Yea, 2 of my 3 brother in-laws have never seen star wars anything. Needless to say they are not welcomed at my house on Christmas. ;) Also one of my employees (late 40s) has never seen them either. It amazes me every time someone says "star wars? Never seen it."

Bparso87

zombies are way more popular than dragons. when game of thrones gets half the ratings of the walking dead, then you could discuss it.
Never said that it was just saying that they r pretty popular I don't watch game of thrones but it pulls great ratings for a premium channel. Walking dead is on cable.

Bparso87

Yea, 2 of my 3 brother in-laws have never seen star wars anything. Needless to say they are not welcomed at my house on Christmas. ;) Also one of my employees (late 40s) has never seen them either. It amazes me every time someone says "star wars? Never seen it."
My sister never watched Star Wars and I am huge fan and so is her boy friend. She also never watched Forrest Gump so that is not saying much.

Prince-1

zombies are way more popular than dragons. when game of thrones gets half the ratings of the walking dead, then you could discuss it.

I love both shows but GoT will never have the same ratings as WD because 1) Its on HBO while WD is on basic cable and 2) GoT is just a litlle more R rated then WD. Both have lots of violence but GoT has a lot more boobies.

Jake Wilson

I do agree there is a large audience that would be drawn to Dragons and Mythical Creatures area in DAK.

Me, not so much but if anyone could do it right I would think it could be Disney.

Pixiedustmaker

Nor should they watch the animated version since there is smoking there also. They also shouldn't watch Lion King since it promotes Regicide. I am fully aware of the effects of smoking. My father would likely be dead right now if he had not quite smoking when he did. I just don't think that seeing a character smoke automatically makes kids want to smoke.

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the facts and experts say otherwise. Since you're probably not a public health expert and just shootin' from the hip, I would characterized your 'opinion' as unqualified.

http://cdp.sagepub.com/content/18/2/63.abstract

I would hypothesize that since Sigourney Weaver's character is a "good guy" and since she uses smoking to relieve stress in the film, it would, and probably has, encouraged teens to thinking about using smoking as a stress reliever. And since Avatar was seen by a lot of teens . . . the more damage done.

Spikerdink

I am one of those people who haven't seen Star Wars. I did see the first movie back in the day, but wasn't that excited. (Not a sci fi guy, don't hate!) But, I have friends who love the movies.... So much so that this is us on Halloween two years ago....

That being said, I think that an area devoted to Star Wars would be huge - even though the original movies are thirty years old, I still see merchandise on store shelves, there are greeting cards, plush toys, clothes... I may not know the movies, but I can see success very easily.

Pixiedustmaker

I don't think that is necessaily true since the Disney fans are the ones who are already coming to the park. Reaching out to other franchieses helps increase the chance you will grab people who aren't already planning a trip to a Disney park. Even the though Disney now owns Star Wars it's still more of an outside franchise then an inside one, but it's much more suited to DHS, so AK still needs something.

I think that a full-fledged Australia land with an E-Ticket would bring in gobs of people. Everest wasn't based on a franchise and they're too afraid to close down the ride as it draws in millions each year. What about an Australia land with animals and a massive E-Ticket water ride through a mixture of scenes of animatronic animals and live ones? Plenty of creative options available.

Pixiedustmaker

OK, so now the argument against Avatar in DAK is the characters are shown smoking in the movie.. Really?

Well, if that is the case let's rip out anything that has to do with Alice in Wonderland... Why? Cause the caterpillar is smoking something:
tumblr_lh1myjrifZ1qe1apyo1_500.gif

Wow, this thread is populated by people who live in a different century!

They took the caterpillar out of Alice in Disneyland just for the smoking reason.

I don't think Pirates ride causes guests to rape people as you don't see anybody being raped, and I don't remember anybody being raped in the Pirates movies . . . in fact, Disney has banned smoking in their films.

Welcome to the 21st Century, we actually care about kids getting lung cancer, heart disease and emphysema later in life.

Un-believable.

Pixiedustmaker

What about the auction scene in the ride? There's some pretty unsavory implications about that scene, as well as the scene where the pirates chase the women. There's a lot of drunkenness depicted in the ride, too. And then there's also the whole deal about looting the town and burning an entire town to the ground....Guess it's time to close down Pirates.

You have an awful lot of nerve coming here acting like you're a saint and telling everyone who believes in a little personal responsibility and freedom of expression that they don't care if children die. You are nothing but a rude busybody who can't mind his own business and let others have a little fun.

You're way behind the times dude, you must've fallen into a hot tub time machine, or missed the last twenty years because you've been living in a cave.

Smoking in movies does glamorize smoking and leads to increased smoking rates in teens. Public health experts know this. Disney banned smoking in their films.

Kinda weird to have somebody rooting for Big Tobacco on these boards.

Here's an article to help you survive the culture shock after escaping from North Korea or wherever:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/26/business/media/26disney.html?_r=0

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think that a full-fledged Australia land with an E-Ticket would bring in gobs of people. Everest wasn't based on a franchise and they're too afraid to close down the ride as it draws in millions each year. What about an Australia land with animals and a massive E-Ticket water ride through a mixture of scenes of animatronic animals and live ones? Plenty of creative options available.

I will agree with you on this, I would love to see an Austrailia area, but don't believe for a second if they canceled Avatar, this is what we would get. There seems to be a very strong focus on IP tie in recently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom